Flouresent wheel nut covers

Has anybody else had to fit these stupid [zb] things, why do they have to be such a daft colour, turn a nice looking motor into something out of a circus… :imp:

You can get them in red as well as the fluoro yellow.

Better than a wheel over taking you on the m62■■?

There is a prettier option does the same job http://www.safetytrimworldwide.com/

I was well impressed with these. Not only do they indicate a nut has moved, they also stop it moving any further. Not cheap though

Mine are red, great bit of safety kit. You look dafter with the wheel missing.

Fleet factors sell some stainless steel spring type, don’t look bad and fleets normally have decent prices.

thelorryist:

True, but we got them now on 8 wheel wagon and drags. We have to take them off every week, retorque wheel nuts, then put the lovely things back on!! All 128 of them, does my ■■■■■■■ head in. Still, paid by the hour :wink: :wink:

I appreciate they are for safety reasons, but you dont need to be able to see them 200yds away. I`m usually stood next to my motor when doing daily checks.

Here’s the thing, none of our units have them on and we havn’t lost a wheel yet.

Granted, thats only nine units,(i cant speak for other depots) but it has been a year! A proper look at where the wheel interfaces with the nut will tell you if the nut has moved, and you don’t look like you are driving a 1993 nike shellsuit.

tootman318:

thelorryist:

True, but we got them now on 8 wheel wagon and drags. We have to take them off every week, retorque wheel nuts, then put the lovely things back on!! All 128 of them, does my [zb] head in. Still, paid by the hour :wink: :wink:

I have a suspicion regimes of constant re-torqueing like this are likely to increase the risk and risk stretching the studs.

I agree though they are a right pain to have to take off and put back on if you need to get the wheels off. I keep meaning to try and adapt some sort of plier tool to do them more easily but never get round to it.

You can spray paint them whatever colour you want, 10 minute job.

Own Account Driver:

tootman318:

thelorryist:

True, but we got them now on 8 wheel wagon and drags. We have to take them off every week, retorque wheel nuts, then put the lovely things back on!! All 128 of them, does my [zb] head in. Still, paid by the hour :wink: :wink:

I have a suspicion regimes of constant re-torqueing like this are likely to increase the risk and risk stretching the studs.

I agree though they are a right pain to have to take off and put back on if you need to get the wheels off. I keep meaning to try and adapt some sort of plier tool to do them more easily but never get round to it.

Agree 100% mate

wrighty:
Has anybody else had to fit these stupid f***ing things, why do they have to be such a daft colour, turn a nice looking motor into something out of a circus… :imp:

no because my truck is fitted with these nord-lock.com/products/wedge … roduction/
and yes they do work

Yes. Ryder fitted them to my truck. They were fluorescent to begin with but they have faded and all covered in road grime so they aren’t really that noticeable now but still do their job.

Had mine fitted from a MAN recall. Apparently there has been a problem with certain years/models regarding the mid lift brakes overheating. These bright yellow jobbies change to an obvious colour (don’t know which) when the problem occurs, then the callipers are replaced free of charge :smiley:

Told to me by MAN mechanic when fitting mine.

dri-diddly-iver:
Had mine fitted from a MAN recall. Apparently there has been a problem with certain years/models regarding the mid lift brakes overheating. These bright yellow jobbies change to an obvious colour (don’t know which) when the problem occurs, then the callipers are replaced free of charge :smiley:

The mid lift on the MAN I drive rarely comes down never mind overheating the brakes, we rarely run heavy, but on the odd occasion I do it still only comes down if I pull up sharply.

Just checked the dash display and it says mid lift brake pads are at 96%, and that’s with 186 thou k’s on the clock.

nsmith1180:
Here’s the thing, none of our units have them on and we havn’t lost a wheel yet.

Granted, thats only nine units,(i cant speak for other depots) but it has been a year! A proper look at where the wheel interfaces with the nut will tell you if the nut has moved, and you don’t look like you are driving a 1993 nike shellsuit.

+1

dri-diddly-iver:
Apparently there has been a problem with certain years/models regarding the mid lift brakes overheating.

dri-diddly-iver:

yep when they have melted off the studs that when you get your calipers replaced

Yes!!! Scotstrucker ! I hate bringing a lorry back from mot and re-fitting 120 of the B******* I’d rather vosa tap the nuts at mot than having a wheel through my girlfriends windscreen. Good simple bit of kit. Wish I invented them and the cats eyes ££££££