Flies.

At this time of year windscreens are usually covered in dead flies, however I’ve noticed a definite lack of them this year. I wondered if others had as well.
Definitely fewer Swallows around where I live…maybe linked…
Not scientific, just an observation.
Any thoughts?

has it stopped raining long enough for the sods to take off?
not complaining mind, seems a serious lack of wasps too, running my Hayter rotary mower inadvertantly through a ground nest didn’t do a new build wasp nest much good last week… :sunglasses:

I killed the cast of bugs life last year :laughing:
I hit a swarm of wasps a couple of years ago, ■■■■ myself I thought a machine gun pea shooter hit the window the noise of them hitting the screen was well weird :open_mouth:

I keep getting moths splatter all over my windscreen at night.

Mind you, they do wipe off easily with a single swipe of the windscreen wipers. Those silly midge things are the hardest thing to wipe off though - they seem to stick to the windscreen like crap to a blanket, and wiping those across just ends up smearing it everywhere :unamused:

Winseer:
I keep getting moths splatter all over my windscreen at night

Do you have an illuminated sign in the back of your cab? If you do, it could be what’s attracting them…

Sumsmeister:

Winseer:

Do you have an illuminated sign in the back of your cab? If you do, it could be what’s attracting them…

I have a feeling they can’t get out of the way at 50 +miles an hour :laughing:

Drift:

I thought the bow-wave (of air, obviously) would gently waft them out of harms way…

I would like to know why when an insect hits the windscreen its allways in your field of bloody vision,right smack bang where you look out,you clean it with the washers,5 min later another hits in the same spot,must be suicide flys from IS,lol

The last thing that goes through a flys mind as it hits the screen is…it’s arse

Might have something to do with the muck/slurry spreading. If the fields are to wet to get on, and its too wet to spread, the flies stay hunkered in the muck piles.

The fly,s are faster on the seventy five! And I don’t know why .
I try and try to figure out why.

Right ok !
How do you spell flies?

And the best thing to remove them and their ‘slime’…

Acetone - your wife’s / girlfriends nail varnish remover… :sunglasses:

After doing my car with it, it even got rid of the wiper blade ‘chatter’…

Go drive about in Norfolk for a while.

I put on my windscreens that Rain Guard stuff, seems to make it easier to clean them.

Honestly, the best thing to keep them off your screen is reversing :laughing:

They’re definitely does seem to be a lower number of wasps at the moment. I think all the messed up weather recently hasn’t helped, although even with the bright sunshine the last couple of days I haven’t seen any!

A wasp flew in the other week and landed on the middle of the steering wheel as I was going along. I couldn’t stop and didn’t know what else to do so I smacked it as hard as possible with the palm of my hand! :stuck_out_tongue: :laughing: :open_mouth: I think I belted it so hard it didn’t have time to sting. It fell on the floor after that. ■■■■■■■■■

When we were smaller, my sisters and I used to swelter in the back of my dads car (no air on then!) so windows always open, and if a wasp flew in it was the end of the world. We all used to shout at my dad to pull over and then we would bomb burst out (including my mum :laughing: ) and my poor dad would have to take his shoe off and try and squash the ■■■■ thing against the back window.

What happens to all the flies in the winter? Obviously majority die off but do some survive or is it the eggs only? No idea.

I haven’t managed to get a fly yet with my Executioner but I got some huge moths with. It gives off one hell of a crack when it touches them.

Drift:

Sumsmeister:

Winseer:

Stupid Flies, need to go on a Speed Awareness Course ! [emoji219][emoji964]
Held by the Flying Squad.
Write their notes on Fly Paper.

I was on my hgv class 3 test in 1987 out of Grantham in an old bedford, it was a sergeant who was the examiner with a hell of a narky reputation.
So I was driving down the A1 all perfect… Then he went mental telling me to pull over, I refused like a good boy ad there was a solid white line, he screamed at me to stop, I still refused for about a mile or two until I found a layby.
By this time he was purple, he jumped out the cab swearing calling me everything under the sun.
After a few minutes he got back in and just said “I hate ■■■■■■■ wasps, your back on test and say ■■■■ all about this in the nafi” :laughing:
Needless to say he had to pass me :laughing:
I told everyone in the nafi that night, I went over to him in the mess to give him a pint, he called me a few names and threw the pint at me :laughing: