Fleetwood larne

Anyone have some info on this route please? What’s the boat like, cabin sharing, food etc…? Over to you guys. :wink:

I did it a few times years ago but its hazy now. You got your own cabin & the food was good but it was always a bumpy ride.

Cheers Harry…I’m leaving Exeter shortly, so I’ll chance it!!! :smiley:

It was boring & basic but it arrived on time.

I used to do the ■■■ packets from Swiss to Carricfergus. Clear Dover - Fleetwood -Larne. Larne used to be a spooky place. Used to get there on a Sunday morning & then go for a lunchtime drink with the rest of the lads. Outside every bar was a couple of Al Capone types doing the security & as soon as you had ordered your drinks the landlord would invite the bar to play a quick game of where the bus stops. You would buy a ticket & write your name down on the stub. It was a way of filtering strangers -they wanted to see who had prod names & who had catolic names…spooky! I don’t know if that still goes on. Gallagers of Carricfergus was ringed with razorwire but they let you park there overnight. You were allowed into their staff canteen & bar . To get to it you went thru multi security checks & the bar had no windows & was built like a A bomb shelter. Drink was v.cheap & inside the wartime spirit was alive & well! It was a great craic & everyone got smashed. :laughing:

may well end up cabin sharing .

Phone just rang…I’m going to Glasgow instead. So thanks for the help. Not going on the water now! :smiley:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: And it took me all that time writing the travelogue !!:lol: :laughing: :laughing:

We enjoyed it though H!

Incase the job comes up again:

Crossing now operated by Stena Line. Some posters mentioned using it years ago - then it was operated by P & O Ferries.

Crossing time 8 hrs so you can get a break in with one interruption.

Very few drivers on daytime sailings, mostly unaccompanied trailers + a few cars/families.

Stick to 40 limit when passing my house 1/2 mile off M55 :imp:

Glad I never went now…Bomb was right by my delivery point! :open_mouth:

Told you it was spooky.

harry:
Told you it was spooky.

I used to work in Eire and used to cross into the north quite often, it was about the time of the bombing at Warrington and things were a little heated over there to say the least, you really had to be careful where you went in a Dublin registered lorry, some of the locals were not so friendly, especially where the kerbstones were red, white and blue, if only they knew the driver was a Brit :laughing:

I also used to deliver Holsten Pils to the Caffreys brewery on the Falls Rd, slaloming through all the barricades with barbed wire everywhere was a bit unnerving I have to say, but I used to hope that nobody would blow the beer lorry up, as it turned out I was right, got good money for it too, I was the only one on the firm silly enough to do it, so with no competition I always managed to find time for a lazy day somewhere along the way, usually near a pub :sunglasses:

It was a shame all that stuff was going on as it’s a beautiful place and because of the way things were I never really got the chance to explore it, I never saw any trouble, but it never seemed as if it was too far away, now it’s very different, but one thing will be the same and that’s the Irish Sea, that can be a bit bumpy to say the least, boats never worried me, I’ve been on allsorts of crossings, from the big Greek superferries on the flat, calm Adriatic to little freighters bobbing up and down on the North Sea going up to Norway, that can get a bit hairy, but the only ones that used to scare me were the Irish ones, quite a few times I’ve been scared ■■■■■■■■ on them things :blush: