Flat tyres on your rigs!

After reading a post about flat tyres on cars, how many of you check yours ?

Trailers with super singles are no problem, as you can kick them on your early morning walk - around while fitting your number plate and checking your lights.

Come on then - how many of you actually kick the in-side tyres on your unit?
A lift axle or tag with a single tyre is no problem,but what about the drive axle - especially at 3 A.M. ?
Recently I drove from Birmingham to Ipswich in a car, and spotted 3 Units with flat inner tyres.
After telling the driver of a Lynx Parcels E.R.F. he had a problem, I gave up after watching him from a safe distance in front travel for 8 or 9 miles.

Just think what may happen if you are driving a fully laden 4 X 2 unit with a defective inner tyre, when the outer tyre blows ?

To all the new drivers - and everyone - CHECK 'EM !

And remember,it’d illegal to have an under inflated/damaged tyre.

Ken.

The quickest way of checking the tyres is to use a hammer. The correct way is with a gauge
but you will hear the sound a correctly inflated tyre makes with practice.

If you are driving on hot roads it is worth stopping every couple of hours to check them, its easier than changing them.

Those little 16’’ twin supercube trailer tyres are a nightmare over 50mph and in hot temperatures

I checked all 8 of mine on the unit last week :sunglasses: and found that between them all, I was about 200psi short of what they should be and there were no obvious signs that they were low. So do it, but go to an ATS Trucks for the air as you’ll be there all week trying to use a MSA line. :laughing:

or carry an inflator whitch attaches to the red line works fine and will get you out of trouble

ahhh, aaahhh let em blow let em blow,hear that bang, watch all that dust, blow and paid by the hour. :astonished: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink: :exclamation: