Flat bed work

Hey all, just looking for some advice really. I’ve been told in going to be starting flat bed work on Wednesday. I’ve never pulled a flat trailer only been bulkers, can anyone give me a few tips. Thanks

Started a job couple of months ago, and over half of it is prob flat work, I’d only ever driven curtain siders, so was bricking it when my first run was upto Scotland with a flat.

When I’ve finished strapping it down I tend to stand back and make sure that everything has a strap over it, then walk around trailer and check all ratchets are tight. If anything looks bit dodgy and I’ve got straps left ill throw another over. Also no harm in pulling over every now and again and checking nothing has moved or any straps have come loose.

I also strap with the ratchets down the near side of trailer, so if I need to pull over to re tighten anything then I’m away from traffic with trailer as a barrier.

mbax81:
Started a job couple of months ago, and over half of it is prob flat work, I’d only ever driven curtain siders, so was bricking it when my first run was upto Scotland with a flat.

When I’ve finished strapping it down I tend to stand back and make sure that everything has a strap over it, then walk around trailer and check all ratchets are tight. If anything looks bit dodgy and I’ve got straps left ill throw another over. Also no harm in pulling over every now and again and checking nothing has moved or any straps have come loose.

I also strap with the ratchets down the near side of trailer, so if I need to pull over to re tighten anything then I’m away from traffic with trailer as a barrier.

Hey, thanks for the advice. I’m going to he shown it all in the morning but just wanted to get to know a few little tips beforehand. It’s going to be concrete flooring I think but not 100% sure at the moment. What you said make total sense especially the ratchets down the near side. Thanks again and wish me luck lol

try an strap OVER the bearers.
This has 2 effects

1. it holds the load to the bearer and bed.
  2. any bend in the load will slacken the strap. (Yes concrete will bend )

Use strap protectors at every possible point.
Carpet is also a good protector or even make up some wooden edge boards.
Short straps are handy for strapping timbers to the bed
if you come across a bit of rebar it can be handy for reaching that strap that’s hung up and you cant quite reach.
An old ally ladder cut down can help.
you’ll be surprised what you’ll find and pick up. a few baskets to keep stuff in helps.
what unit you gonna have.■■

A water proof jacket and trousers is ideal for being outside in all weathers while loading.
A big plastic box to store ropes and ratchets in.
Flat bed work will keep you fitter.
A big brush to sweep the trailer.

nick2008:
try an strap OVER the bearers.
This has 2 effects

1. it holds the load to the bearer and bed.
  2. any bend in the load will slacken the strap. (Yes concrete will bend )

Use strap protectors at every possible point.
Carpet is also a good protector or even make up some wooden edge boards.
Short straps are handy for strapping timbers to the bed
if you come across a bit of rebar it can be handy for reaching that strap that’s hung up and you cant quite reach.
An old ally ladder cut down can help.
you’ll be surprised what you’ll find and pick up. a few baskets to keep stuff in helps.
what unit you gonna have.■■

I’ve currently got a daf cf, I have a crate on the back with my chains in and my side locker is full of ratchet straps and ratchets.

This is a pic of the first time I loaded and secured the concrete flooring my by self. Although I have a question. I’m not sure if you can see but I hooked the chains at the front onto the edge of the trailer as I thought when I was going around tight corners the hooks may catch on the units chassis somewhere, am I right in doing this? The back ones i hooked onto the chassis of the trailer and the same with the strap in the middle. Hope that make sense

Do you need to use chains?

Yeah the company we get the concrete from want us to use chains and where the load bearers are