Flashing in

I’ve recently started driving LGVs again after a long spell away. Before people always flashed you in, especially at night. I personally didn’t rely on it, preferring to wait until the truck in the mirror was really far away before pulling in, using the ethos that you want the same distance between you before pulling in as if you were both on the same carriageway. But everyone flashed the lights and we all gave a brief opposite indicator (some chose very theatrical displays) to show thanks.

Fast forward 12 years and I tried flashing in wagons, what I noticed is that only 1 or 2 out of ten thank you and almost almost all cut in so close that I hadn’t time to think about flashing anyone in and on occasion have to dab the brakes the closeness has been so uncomfortable. I’m talking so close that I could see the dirt particles on the trailer handles. Also in turn, no one flashes you in. Is this a zen thing that drivers have adopted in the last decade? Needless to say after 5 days I have stopped headlight flashing. It’s pointless, it’s not in the highway code and I only ever did it out of courtesy which is not reciprocated anymore anyway. On the odd occasion people have flashed I ignore it waiting for a long long time before pulling in then a brief indicator to acknowledge.

I find that its around 50% that don’t flash you in, IMO there’s 2 reasons, 1, too many cut in too quick these days so the slower wagon doesn’t get a chance to flash, so they don’t bother flashing at all.
2, lack of manners, common courtesy & inattention, why should they bother pulling the flasher handle whilst they are texting or on the phone. (How many things do you expect them to do ? Lol)

If you wait until the overtaking truck is past you by a decent margin, say 30 ft,so not a massive gap,95% of the time you will not get a chance to flash.

zippo:
If you wait until the overtaking truck is past you by a decent margin, say 30 ft,so not a massive gap,95% of the time you will not get a chance to flash.

Exactly, you’ll probably be on first name terms with the back doors by then.

+1, I’ve noticed this is in the increase nowadays, I give the 1st few drivers a chance at the beginning of the shift, if they cut in too close, don’t flash in or show any courtesy that’s it, I drive my own until I go home. (Certain companies I’ll never flash in or say thank you to their drivers)

martinviking:
I find that its around 50% that don’t flash you in, IMO there’s 2 reasons, 1, too many cut in too quick these days so the slower wagon doesn’t get a chance to flash, so they don’t bother flashing at all.
2, lack of manners, common courtesy & inattention, why should they bother pulling the flasher handle whilst they are texting or on the phone. (How many things do you expect them to do ? Lol)

So which is more courteous?

a. driver of wagon being overtaken eases off by a few mph to aid your progress getting past but doesn’t flash you in, or
b. driver of wagon being overtaken keeps foot to floor thus holding you out in lane 2 for 10 miles but flashes you in once past

:question:

I don’t flash other wagons in and don’t want to be flashed in either. The days of needing to be flashed in because truck mirrors were the size of a sixpence are long gone. If you are unable to judge where the end of your wagon is and require other drivers to let you know by flashing you then you shouldn’t even be on the road.

I do not know why drivers get so worked up about this flashing stuff. The ones that make me laugh are those that come past you then start weaving left and right waiting for you to flash but it doesn’t come, so they do that “I’LL TEACH YOU, YOU [ZB]!!!” move where they rag it back into lane 1 without any indication and do it so violently that they nearly roll the truck in the process. :laughing: Thick [zb]s.

Freight Dog:
I’ve recently started driving LGVs again after a long spell away. Before people always flashed you in, especially at night. I personally didn’t rely on it, preferring to wait until the truck in the mirror was really far away before pulling in, using the ethos that you want the same distance between you before pulling in as if you were both on the same carriageway. But everyone flashed the lights and we all gave a brief opposite indicator (some chose very theatrical displays) to show thanks.

Fast forward 12 years and I tried flashing in wagons, what I noticed is that only 1 or 2 out of ten thank you and almost almost all cut in so close that I hadn’t time to think about flashing anyone in and on occasion have to dab the brakes the closeness has been so uncomfortable. I’m talking so close that I could see the dirt particles on the trailer handles. Also in turn, no one flashes you in. Is this a zen thing that drivers have adopted in the last decade? Needless to say after 5 days I have stopped headlight flashing. It’s pointless, it’s not in the highway code and I only ever did it out of courtesy which is not reciprocated anymore anyway. On the odd occasion people have flashed I ignore it waiting for a long long time before pulling in then a brief indicator to acknowledge.

I hear that the non flashers/thankers are all foreigners, ex Stobart drivers, Agency, Yoof of today, Split Arsed, Ex Squaddies or a combination of the above.

One things for certain… They’re all ■■■■■! (Especially the ones that want to take your wipers off for you)

I had a jaunty down south this week. First time in months. I passed a lot of wagons and on the whole was flashed in. The ones that didn’t, in general, were the ones with tassled pelmets. I was wondering if maybe the retro fitting of boudoir curtains knocks out the flash function of the light stalk?

Best display of driving was a tanker who tried to undertake me and another wagon in the m6 roadworks at Stafford. He was halfway down my side when he indicated. As I pulled alongside his cab he gave a huge blast on the horn (probably scaring the ■■■■ out of the car he was practically in the boot of) then gave a few fancy hand signals. He later managed to pad me in the roadworks so I have him a cheery wave only for him to try and wipe my mirror off. Once out of roadworks I again passed his tatty looking chug a boom, only to see his middle finger. He rather surprisingly didn’t Flash me in though.

Ah motorway driving how I’ve missed thee.

NewLad,

Yoof of today

That hurt :frowning:

Let’s be honest guys, there’s literally no point in the whole flashing/wiggling the indicators these days but we do it because it’s a fun game to break up the monotony of a motorway, gives a small sense of comradery and makes us feel less lonely :wink:

I’ve noticed vehicles stay out longer at night and it collapses as soon as the traffic starts picking up, usually if it’s busy traffic and you’re waiting for a decent gap before pulling in you can almost guarantee an impatient driver (most commonly in a white van) will be up your inside with the right pedal planted. If you spot that happening it makes your road safety effort absolutely pointless by some inconsiderate tool.

When a truck passes me if he’s not cut it that close its a case of " oh do you want my paper?" I will flash them in and tbh most times I get flashed in, , always thank them aswell I know im past them already but being courteous costs nowt.

What puzzles me is that when you talk to drivers they always say they don’t need flashing in because they know exactly where the back of the truck is, but if everyone knows exactly where the back of their truck is why are so many drivers pulling in much too soon :confused:

Still flash most people in, and been flashed in quite often this week, does seem to be the older driver that does it though … Inverness on Wednesday ,Southampton on Friday,same all week,so i cant even use the old ’ ah well i’m down south,so no one will flash me in’ line … :astonished:

Always have flashed in.
Unless he’s doing stupid speed and doesn’t need it.
I lift off if he’s stuck beside me as well unless I’m going uphill.
Just a couple of seconds off the gas and he’s gone.

Pimpdaddy:
(Certain companies I’ll never flash in or say thank you to their drivers)

i find that not many flash me in in my stobart truck. must be one of them certain companies people dont like :laughing:

Back on topic tho. I flash people when theyre a car length in front. 90% dont acknowledge at all as i'm certain they aint looking in their mirrors. its the British ignorant way of driving tunnel visioned... most of my driving is on continent and everyone flashes you in, everyone is courteous, theres no elephant racing. in general worst thing about my job is getting off the train on the m20 as i know by time ive got to m25 someones gonna ■■■■■■ me off cut me up or generally been a ■■■■.

This has been done to death on here already again and again.
Flashing in is a simple system that has worked for years, all you superior smartarses that do not need flashed in because you …"know exactly where the back of your trailer is :unamused: " don’t get it . So heres a revelation…
I also know where the back of MY trailer is :bulb: , but I wait for a flash so I am CERTAIN that I am not invading your space, ie a space that varies between DRIVERS that is considered safe, thus not risking causing or instigating an accident, there is a good reason for this, it is because I try to be a safe and considerate driver :bulb:… an alien idea to a lot of you.
You ■■■■ whits that cut in on me bring out the worst base instincts in me, I want to follow you into the services and rip your ■■■■■■ heads off :smiling_imp: , disproportional and irrational admittedly, I know, but that is what a swerve into the hard shoulder and a near loss of my mirrors do to me!
So I will continue to practice this, and if it has prevented just ONE accident in the last 30+ years it has worked :bulb:
I will also flash other drivers (and “drivers” :unamused: ) in, take notice or not, I don’t give a flying ■■■■, just let me keep my mirrors, and for the ■■■■ whits that "know exactly where…etc etc " keep your mirrors also, so you can view the chaos and anger as you cut everybody up when overtaking.

I recall a mention in a other thread where a English driver commented on how, when he is driving it seems to be Scottish and Irish drivers that always flash in and thank when flashed in (can’t remember the thread title)… 99% of the time I flash people in, and the vast majority of the trucks give a wee thank you signal. Our trucks only do 50-52, so it’s quite rare to over take another truck, but when I do, again 99% of the trucks flash me in and 100% of the time I stick on the hazards as a thank you.

Javiatrix:
NewLad,
gives a small sense of comradery and makes us feel less lonely :wink:

I like the comradery, hope it doesn’t die out. The number of times I’d been sitting at a round about at 8am, cars flying round, no chance of getting out safely, and a truck comes round slows right down, flashes me out. Same when trying to get out of a junction. Not just in trucks, its nice to give/receive a nod from other bikers, and driving the buses, we always let each other out or in, best one is on Cathederal street in Glasgow City Centre… Look down to the front of the queue for turning right onto N.Hanover street, Is there a bus near the front?.. Yes!!! straight down the left hand lane… lights turn to green, in you go, no hassle and a wee thank you wave :grimacing:

Freight Dog:

Funnily enough I came back to driving after an absence a couple of years back and I posted almost exactly the same observation. Its down to the speed limiter making it difficult.

zippo:

95% is being generous, I was thinking more like 99%

Pimpdaddy:
+1, I’ve noticed this is in the increase nowadays, I give the 1st few drivers a chance at the beginning of the shift, if they cut in too close, don’t flash in or show any courtesy that’s it, I drive my own until I go home. (Certain companies I’ll never flash in or say thank you to their drivers)

I’m exactly the same but without the certain company bit, Tesco can’t be on your list as they never over take anyone :smiley: