Flashing car drivers to let them enter/exit a junction

Is it just me or do 75%+ sit there like mongs for you too?

It does my nut in. :unamused:

These days maybe more recently passed drivers with more regard to authority in which case a flash means a warning not a communication.Together with the other issue of being invited to pull out by reversal of priority but too often the real risk of something overtaking or undertaking,especially bikers,the ā€˜helpfulā€™ driver when you move.The second of those being why Iā€™m mostly ā€˜one of the mongsā€™ ā€˜who just sit thereā€™ when Iā€™m invited to pull out of a junction these days. :bulb:

I know mate I have it too.
I was talking to my friends dad who is a lgv instructer who said you should never let anyone out because if something goes wrong youā€™ll be st fault and end up getting sued.

Most want you to slow down to a crawl (Or stop) so if they donā€™t pull out quick enough i just give up and drive past.

I get more people just starring at me when I flash them in my modified cars though as they seem to think I must be doing something sinister, in my standard Lexus IS200 everyone treats me nicer :sunglasses: .

Keith75:
I was talking to my friends dad who is a lgv instructer who said you should never let anyone out because if something goes wrong youā€™ll be st fault and end up getting sued.

I reckon thatā€™s b//llcks, itā€™s the driver whoā€™s responsible for the crash whoā€™s responsible.

Iā€™m always wary of people who flash me out. IIRC a flash is just a warning of your presence. If I pulled out infront of someone who flashed and they hit me, it would be my fault.

When I see someone flashing I wonā€™t act upon it until I get other indications to be absolutely sure I know what is about to happen. A bit like someone indicating to turn into the junction you are about to exit from, I wonā€™t move until I see their vehicle start to turn.

Think about it you flash car out of a junction that car pulls out and hits a cyclist the car driver will say the trunk driver told me to go. Cyclist puts a claim in, solicitors tell insurance company trunk driver told car to go if trunk driver didnā€™t do that then cyclist would have not got hit.
Itā€™s sad but that is the world we now live in people will claim for anything and everything.

Thereā€™s a taxi that leaves Gatwick to join the M23 nearly every night who hovers next to me on the slip road. I donā€™t budge. In the last 50 yards he speeds up and pulls in front of me and flashes his hazards as if Iā€™ve done him a massive favour. Or heā€™s apologising for pulling out in front of me. Or heā€™s taking the pish because I didnā€™t slow down. Might not be the same taxi every night, but who cares.

Hey look itā€™s easy to judge car drivers when youā€™re in your wagon. I do tens of thousands maybe hundreds of thousand of miles a year in my truck, but only do about 3000 a year in my car and only use the motorway once or twice a year in my car. I try to be considerate in my car, but I donā€™t flash anyone in or out. If I see a wagon indicating I hold back to let them out, but donā€™t flash. Maybe I donā€™t hold back enough and they see me as too close in their mirror and think Iā€™m blocking them in. Happens a lot when Iā€™m in my truck and indicating. Especially when pulling back in and the car is sitting 3 metres back to let me in but it looks too close in my mirror and Iā€™m afraid to pull back in in case they call my boss again and say I tried to kill them like that time on the M4 when the ā– ā– ā– ā–  kept speeding up to stop me getting past. Lost track here Iā€™m drink. ā– ā– ā– ā–  this ā– ā– ā– ā– , kill them all if they want to pull out and crash inb to yo let them ā– ā– ā– ā–  em one mor cockhead off the road.

Night

Keith75:
Think about it you flash car out of a junction that car pulls out and hits a cyclist the car driver will say the trunk driver told me to go. Cyclist puts a claim in, solicitors tell insurance company trunk driver told car to go if trunk driver didnā€™t do that then cyclist would have not got hit.
Itā€™s sad but that is the world we now live in people will claim for anything and everything.

Truck driver was attempting to wash windscreen and mistakenly used wrong stalk ā€¦ driver that hit cyclist is to blame.

Most car drivers struggle to breathe let alone drive :unamused: FFS donā€™t try and communicate with them or theyā€™ll get even more confused :unamused: . Best just to use your speed and position so they think the right way ā€œall by themselvesā€ :laughing:

mrginge:
Most want you to slow down to a crawl (Or stop) so if they donā€™t pull out quick enough i just give up and drive past.

I get more people just starring at me when I flash them in my modified cars though as they seem to think I must be doing something sinister, in my standard Lexus IS200 everyone treats me nicer :sunglasses: .

Not at all mate, they are taking pity on you, Lexus IS200 ! have you managed to overtake any one yet ? Get an Alteeza :laughing: :wink:

Keith75:

Of course you can let someone out but your friends Dad is quite correct that if you flash someone or wave them out and there is an accident there is a very good chance you will then be involved and could be prosecuted or sued.

I once saw a car driver flash another driver to cross in front of them but he had noticed a motorcycle overtaking and there was a bad accident. The driver was prosecuted.

You have to be so careful if you wave or flash.

You also have to be very careful if another driver flashes you. Some drivers will take that as it is safe to go and a lot of the time it is not.

I have strong feelings about this.
If someone flashes to let me out, I only move IF, and a big IF I can see clearly all round. If in slightest doubt, I donā€™t move. Causes a temporary blockage, but Iā€™m safe.
Yes, some people do get cross with me, but like has said elsewhere in this post, it is dangerous to rely on others.
From the other side, I never flash to let anyone out, I slow down and give them chance to make their own decision, but not flash.
Have a great evening
Paul

sonflowerinwales:
Have a great evening
Paul

Cheers, Paul. I will.

I dont pull out if anyone flashes. Could be any number of reasons they are doing it. I pull out and they run right into me then claim insurance. Saying they flashed the lights isnt a defense. Or they flash me out and some impatient ā– ā– ā– ā–  behind decides to gun it and overtake him only to meet me pulling out of the junction and we end up in a smash. Or maybe he went to put his indicator on and accidently flashed the lights instead. Too much risk involved unless I can see everything thatā€™s going on. You shouldnā€™t just blindly trust anyone who flashes the lights at you

The-Snowman:
I dont pull out if anyone flashes. Could be any number of reasons they are doing it. I pull out and they run right into me then claim insurance. Saying they flashed the lights isnt a defense. Or they flash me out and some impatient [zb] behind decides to gun it and overtake him only to meet me pulling out of the junction and we end up in a smash. Or maybe he went to put his indicator on and accidently flashed the lights instead. Too much risk involved unless I can see everything thatā€™s going on. You shouldnā€™t just blindly trust anyone who flashes the lights at you

Come on, Iā€™m not saying to blindly trust the flasher, just to be awake so that if for example I flash them they can use the time to assess and then make a decision. The issue is that nearly every driver sat at a junction is not alert and poised to go. Probably texting.

raymundo:

mrginge:

Not at all mate, they are taking pity on you, Lexus IS200 ! have you managed to overtake any one yet ? Get an Alteeza :laughing: :wink:

The power is pretty shameful, itā€™s just my car to jolly to work in as my other cars are to precious to go in the muddy yard at work ha. There are a few reasons why people bought the 3 series one of them being power. Anyway, I will just fit a TRD bodykit and an Altezza badge. :wink:

Tris:

The-Snowman:
I dont pull out if anyone flashes. Could be any number of reasons they are doing it. I pull out and they run right into me then claim insurance. Saying they flashed the lights isnt a defense. Or they flash me out and some impatient [zb] behind decides to gun it and overtake him only to meet me pulling out of the junction and we end up in a smash. Or maybe he went to put his indicator on and accidently flashed the lights instead. Too much risk involved unless I can see everything thatā€™s going on. You shouldnā€™t just blindly trust anyone who flashes the lights at you

Come on, Iā€™m not saying to blindly trust the flasher, just to be awake so that if for example I flash them they can use the time to assess and then make a decision. The issue is that nearly every driver sat at a junction is not alert and poised to go. Probably texting.

I think many people do take that opportunity at junctions to fire off a quick text, more from the point of view as a cyclist (which I do a lot of and nothing wrong with that :smiley: ) I really do like to get eye contact, and I often see people at junctions who are gazing into their laps.

mrginge:

raymundo:

mrginge:

The power is pretty shameful, itā€™s just my car to jolly to work in as my other cars are to precious to go in the muddy yard at work ha. There are a few reasons why people bought the 3 series one of them being power. Anyway, I will just fit a TRD bodykit and an Altezza badge. :wink:

The Lex is a cracking car if you donā€™t mind spending most of the day in filling stations. Had one :frowning: forget the badge and get a supercharger fitted :slight_smile: