Flashed in the face by a Truvelo

I thought these things are not suppose to flash when facing the driver?

It did to me… A1 Grantham doing down hill sitting at 50mph… with a racing Range Rover tearing down in lane 2 in the distance - the truck and trailer I was driving ws covering the camera to the RR Driver so it was hidden from his view. I just knew it was going to happen next (I hate it when people hide beside the trailer from the camera) so stamped on the breaks and he flew in front - and the flash!!! my bloody eyes… seeing double for the next few miles…

And at night… now, I do remember seeing that he drove over the white lines, and I was 3 feet or so behind the lines… am I going to be having a battle with the local camera group over this?

Surely when back at depot - I printed off my speed trace as it shows 80-84kph on the time that it happend…

:open_mouth: Happened to me on the A36 heading from Southampton to Salisbury a few years back, never got a NIP in post, looked into the legal and mechanical side of things via a relative who was in the know and was told that
Truvelo forward facing cameras should not give a visible flash at all, they have a filter on them to prevent what you experienced as they can be [zb] dangerous at night if they do :exclamation:

The lines on the road are the trigger and speed data measuring point, so if you did’nt hit them you should’nt have to worry :wink:

sharky the shredder:
:shock: Happened to me on the A36 heading from Southampton to Salisbury a few years back, never got a NIP in post, looked into the legal and mechanical side of things via a relative who was in the know and was told that
Truvelo forward facing cameras should not give a visible flash at all, they have a filter on them to prevent what you experienced as they can be [zb] dangerous at night if they do :exclamation:

The lines on the road are the trigger and speed data measuring point, so if you did’nt hit them you should’nt have to worry :wink:

This one did - geezz… a new set of underpants needed and something to remove the wiggly lines from the road after thinking what the hell and getting blinded by the ■■■■ thing :imp:

Also read it up more and as I was in front of the line… then nowt will come from it. (thank ■■■■)

Was it a white flash, or a magenta flash?

If it was a white flash, and you do get NIP’ed, ask them for a copy of the picture to “Help identify the driver”. You’ll be able to see the reflection from the flash on the windscreen on the photograph.

Now, the magic part is this: Truvelo cameras are only type approved for use with a magenta flash (to avoid blinding the oncoming driver). If the flash is white, it is not type approved and therefore an invalid detection of excess speed.

Good luck :slight_smile:

if I read your post correctly, you wouldn’t have got a flash if you hadn’t stamped on the brakes.
instant karma!

i would be tempted to do an arse covering email to the relevent police authority.
it isn’t unusual for them to send out a speeding ticket to both vehicles.
you could register your complaint at the same time, it’s not much fun seeing a white blob in front of your eyes for miles and miles.
and make sure you tell them to think of the children. :laughing:

I’ve had this camera @ Grantham go off in my face as well … always slow done at this one, as i was never sure what it was set at … not sure if it was a car that was passing me going North OR at same time, there was one going SOUTH at warp factor 10 … but didn’t think that would have triggered it :question:
Not very nice to have it flash in your face i must say :unamused:

Never heard anything … this was months & months ago :slight_smile:

The speed cameras here in Finland ALL flash with a white light towards the driver. They are insanely bright at night (go on- ask me how I know :cry: ).

Surly a speed camera flashing you front the front is no diffrent from one flashing a driver coming the other way from the rear?

AHT:
Surly a speed camera flashing you from the front is no different from one flashing a driver coming the other way from the rear?

Old Gatsos, at least, are not type-approved for frontal use, so I’m led to believe, if that’s what you’re getting at. Approaching one such pointing your way should be no problemo from it, at any speed.

truvelo’s do flash and they are bright and expensive . the bugger at thorpe waterville got me one sunday morning on a run i’d done twice a week for 4 years while i was having a laugh on the mobile ( handsfree )

Snudger:

AHT:
Surly a speed camera flashing you from the front is no different from one flashing a driver coming the other way from the rear?

Old Gatsos, at least, are not type-approved for frontal use, so I’m led to believe, if that’s what you’re getting at. Approaching one such pointing your way should be no problemo from it, at any speed.

I understand that they wont catch you from the front as people say the flash is dangerous if it flashes you from the front, but that doesn’t stop the camera flasing somone coming the other way while your approcing it

I belive the new truvelo cameras use an infra-red flash that you shouldnt be able to seem but it seems this is not always the case

AHT:

Snudger:

AHT:
I belive the new truvelo cameras use an infra-red flash that you shouldnt be able to seem but it seems this is not always the case

Its not infrared its Magneta, you can see it but its a different intensity to rear facing Gatsos so is legal.

limeyphil:
i would be tempted to do an arse covering email to the relevent police authority.
you could register your complaint at the same time, it’s not much fun seeing a white blob in front of your eyes for miles and miles.

The offending vehicle will always have it’s front wheels between the 3 white lines which are painted on the round.

http://www.truvelouk.com/secondaryspeedchecks.php

P.S If the flash and the therefore the film were infra-red you won’t be able to see the greens in the picture.

ron9516:

limeyphil:

The offending vehicle will always have it’s front wheels between the 3 white lines which are painted on the round.

P.S If the flash and the therefore the film were infra-red you won’t be able to see the greens in the picture.

What 3 white lines? Which vehicle was speeding in your example photo? I don’t understand how those lines are on the road (round?).

Snudger:

ron9516:

limeyphil:

What 3 white lines? Which vehicle was speeding in your example photo? I don’t understand how those lines are on the road (round?).

It’s a poor photo but the Mini’s front wheels are on a band of three tightly spaced, narrow white lines used for calibration.

mrpj:

Snudger:

ron9516:

limeyphil:

It’s a poor photo but the Mini’s front wheels are on a band of three tightly spaced, narrow white lines used for calibration.

Ah good - so the Range Rover driver is ■■■■■■ then :smiley: - still - I am keeping that speed trace print out for a while.

del949:
if I read your post correctly, you wouldn’t have got a flash if you hadn’t stamped on the brakes.
instant karma!

How so? - I wasn’t the one speeding, I braked within the last 50 or so yard to give a gap for the camera to do its magic and to check the ■■■■■■ speeding past me and using the trailer as a cover.

There are sensors in both of the lanes on the approach of of this camera so I can’t see where the instant Karma has got me (and yes I believe in the Karma too!)… I feel I did a good deed at that point (okay with a white spot for a min or two in the eyes) by getting this prick “flashed” and maybe off the road in the coming weeks - who thinks he all high and almighty driving in a flashy 61plate RR at the ton?