Flashed by motorway camera

hi got flashed by motorway camera last night my question is do you get a chance to go to naughty school instead of taking the points !

gsijay:
hi got flashed by motorway camera last night my question is do you get a chance to go to naughty school instead of taking the points !

Depends on the area, some do, some don`t…

I`m in “consultation” with a camera team down Bristol way, they have me down as doing 60, when I was restricted to 56, and, that 56 took some getting upto, due to the age and make of the vehicle.

Not looking forward to their response, as the law don`t lie, apparently :unamused:

Also depends on how much over the speed limit you were

gsijay:

Presumably this was in a managed motorway section? If so was there a temporary limit shown? How much over it were you? If there wasn’t any temporary limit shown then just forget about it as they’re known to occasionally flash for no reason.

Stanley Mitchell:
I`m in “consultation” with a camera team down Bristol way, they have me down as doing 60, when I was restricted to 56, and, that 56 took some getting upto, due to the age and make of the vehicle.

Not looking forward to their response, as the law don`t lie, apparently :unamused:

And the problem is? Speed limit on a motorway is 60mph for an HGV over 7.5t. Surely the only offence that could be committed at 60 would be if the truck was powered to that speed due to non-operation of the speed limiter,then the “offence” would be using a vehicle with a faulty limiter.

m6 just passed m42 entry roadworks at juc 5 lane one out the 2nd lane was 30mph 3rd lane was 40 a other driver came straight over to 2nd lane which then i went into 3rd lane doing 50 my own fault really but these things happen !

gsijay:
m6 just passed m42 entry roadworks at juc 5 lane one out the 2nd lane was 30mph 3rd lane was 40 a other driver came straight over to 2nd lane which then i went into 3rd lane doing 50 my own fault really but these things happen !

Nasty… I’d be worried for a couple of weeks waiting for the office to hand me the FPN. The gantries that have cameras on + accompanied by road markings do not allow you to go more than a few mph over a temporary limit without flashing you, although the ones showing 20s and 30s don’t seem to flash at all. It’s the 40s 50s and 60s that always seem to flash if you go over.

Left hand down!:

gsijay:

Nasty… I’d be worried for a couple of weeks waiting for the office to hand me the FPN. The gantries that have cameras on + accompanied by road markings do not allow you to go more than a few mph over a temporary limit without flashing you, although the ones showing 20s and 30s don’t seem to flash at all. It’s the 40s 50s and 60s that always seem to flash if you go over.

Hiya pointless worrying it to late to do anything. just hope you don’t get a letter…sorry for you mate just trying to earn a few bob and get nicked.i always had a few points until i jacked driving in. i’ve had a clean sheet for the last 12 years.
John

The system can not display different speeds for different lanes, if it does then the camera will not issue a ticket.

The exception to the above is when you have a stretch like the M42/M6 Toll split where the nearside 2 lanes are for the M42 and the other 3 lanes are for the M6 Toll

Highlander:

Stanley Mitchell:

And the problem is? Speed limit on a motorway is 60mph for an HGV over 7.5t. Surely the only offence that could be committed at 60 would be if the truck was powered to that speed due to non-operation of the speed limiter,then the “offence” would be using a vehicle with a faulty limiter.

ROADWORKS @ 50 MPH Maximum …

trubster:
The system can not display different speeds for different lanes, if it does then the camera will not issue a ticket.

The exception to the above is when you have a stretch like the M42/M6 Toll split where the nearside 2 lanes are for the M42 and the other 3 lanes are for the M6 Toll

Can you provide an official source for that please.

Left hand down!:

trubster:

Can you provide an official source for that please.

Already on it - just tryinng to find the relevant bit, i’m sure it is either in the Type Approval for the HADECS or the TSRGD

Here you go Left Hand Down

dft.gov.uk/ha/standards/tech … s_v2_0.pdf

60 At locations where speed restrictions are communicated using lane specific signals, the
same speed limit will be displayed above all the open lanes of a particular carriageway

(There is more on the subject I can find, but it will take some time. Let me know if you have a specific interest or just wanted to see that I was not talking ■■■■)

Been through loads of these with the sign lit up, well over the speed limit (in vans) and never managed to set one off but seen them go off on the other side :confused:

trubster:
Here you go Left Hand Down

dft.gov.uk/ha/standards/tech … s_v2_0.pdf

60 At locations where speed restrictions are communicated using lane specific signals, the
same speed limit will be displayed above all the open lanes of a particular carriageway

(There is more on the subject I can find, but it will take some time. Let me know if you have a specific interest or just wanted to see that I was not talking [zb])

Thanks. However I’m not seeing the correlation between

and

At locations where speed restrictions are communicated using lane specific signals, the

I cannot find anything in the linked article stating that tickets will not be issued in that situation.

trubster:

Quite often on the M25 you will see temporary speed limits with works on a slip road. The main carriageway will be 50 except the 1st running lane and the slip itself which will be 30.

Stanley Mitchell:
ROADWORKS @ 50 MPH Maximum …

Sorry :blush: Misunderstood what you were saying when you mentioned struggling to get to 56mph.

I’ve been flashed 3 times on the M6 and M42 doing approx 55mph when the signs have said 40, not received a ticket on any occasion, so fingers crossed nothing comes through for you. Sick to death of these managed motorways that are forever reducing the speed limit when there’s hardly ever anything there, yes if there is actually roadworks or an accident then I will slow down, but usually I just sail through at 55. On a slightly different note, the other evening on the M6 south just before the A38 fork it was saying ‘congestion, use hard shoulder’, well as you can imagine nobody was paying any attention to this, had great fun under-taking hundreds of cars. Why spend millions and have years of temporary speed restrictions to build roads that hardly anyone knows how to use properly? Don’t even get me started on the clowns on the M25 who, despite having 4 lanes to choose from, decide to blindly trundle down lane 3 despite nothing being in lanes 1 & 2 for miles.

stobart drivers are always being flashed at on the motorways

I’m always gobsmacked when i read posts like this, why do so called professional drivers continue to ignore speed limits.If there is a speed restriction imposed then why the hell would you break that limit, and the reply, I’VE GOT TO GET SOMEWHERE QUICK is not the right answer, how much time is it going to save■■? NON me thinks. Plus you’ve compromised road safety, and also shown the profession in a bad light to other road users as you speed past them. We’re supposed to be professional. ! ! ! And YES i DO adhere to the rules of the road before i get castigated for my rant. :smiley: