Flash & out

Hi Guys, What do some of the older & also some of the younger drivers think of the one Indicator flash & out adopted by some & I say only some of the lorry drivers, once out they sit there quite comfortable inching pass very slowly as the queue builds up behind, I had two the other day for about 12 miles on the A14 then when we got to the A1 roundabout the inside lorry pulled away probaly going to do it all again further down the road. Do you think the UK may adopt some of the German Autobahns & roads systems where HGVs are banned from the passing lane here in the UK eventually.

Dave.

Not until somebody makes all hauliers set the same max slows in there vehicles,there’s such a variation nowadays…
50mph
52mph
56mph
This causes endless overtaking by hgvs which would be cut significantly if everyone was made to be restricted at the same speed,the only thing then that would cause the need to overtake would be weight carried where wagons struggle uphill ect.
But in the other hand if we are all being legal angels then we should all be doing 50mph max on duel carrigeway so there would be no hgvs overtaking.

Did they not put the speed on duel carriageways up to 60mph anyway ? in the last three months I have been to Newark on a lovely duel road from J21a of the MI with only a couple of speed cameras and no holdups either. Buzzer.

xichrisxi:
Not until somebody makes all hauliers set the same max slows in there vehicles,there’s such a variation nowadays…
50mph
52mph
56mph
This causes endless overtaking by hgvs which would be cut significantly if everyone was made to be restricted at the same speed,the only thing then that would cause the need to overtake would be weight carried where wagons struggle uphill ect.
But in the other hand if we are all being legal angels then we should all be doing 50mph max on duel carrigeway so there would be no hgvs overtaking.

Er - the limit for HGVs on dual carriageways was raised to 60mph over a year ago!

Or, now that we are leaving the beloved (zbing) EU, get rid of the limiters all together. There is no need for them now. The 60mph speed limit still stands on motorways and now on dual / multi lane carriage ways. Ok, some will always take the (zb) with an unlimited truck, I know I did when I was in a rush or running late, but to counter that, make the penalties for exceeding the maximum speed limits higher and make them retrospective.

Trucks and their safety systems are much further advanced and safer nowadays than when unlimited engines were last used. Get rid of the limiters all together and at the same time you will get rid of the rolling road blocks caused by the +/- 2kmh difference.

Roymondo:

xichrisxi:
50mph
52mph
56mph

Er - the limit for HGVs on dual carriageways was raised to 60mph over a year ago!

Er - that’s providing the duel carrigeway in question is National speed limit,the one by me is 50mph signed.

Just a thought. As a driver from the pre speed limiter days and when a ■■■■■■■ 220 or Gardner 240 was thought of as big power and F88’s and the like were the stuff of dreams. With today’s wagons pushing out at least 400+ bhp and often much more at top weight why doesn’t the wagon on the inside back off a couple of clicks to let the overtaker past more quickly. With plenty of grunt it’s not as though they need to keep up momentum as with the old wagons with marginal power, they can easily regain road speed. Awaiting flak! :smiley:

Bob

Blind Bob:
Just a thought. As a driver from the pre speed limiter days and when a ■■■■■■■ 220 or Gardner 240 was thought of as big power and F88’s and the like were the stuff of dreams. With today’s wagons pushing out at least 400+ bhp and often much more at top weight why doesn’t the wagon on the inside back off a couple of clicks to let the overtaker past more quickly. With plenty of grunt it’s not as though they need to keep up momentum as with the old wagons with marginal power, they can easily regain road speed. Awaiting flak! :smiley:

Bob

Because they are too ■■■■■■■ THICK to realise that it makes little more than a nanosecond of difference to how long it takes them to get to their destination.

cav551:

Blind Bob:

Bob

Because they are too [zb] THICK to realise that it makes little more than a nanosecond of difference to how long it takes them to get to their destination.

Doesn’t work like that. When the speed-limiter first came in, I used to do the gentlemanly thing described above because that was how lorry drivers generally behaved in those days. It didn’t work because every time you back off, you lose speed and lose another gear and this then repeats all day until you realise you’ve got nowhere. The Germans, who invented the speed-limiter tried awhile back to have it banned because their research teams discovered that it was far more dangerous than useful, but the EU wouldn’t wear it because anything legitimised by the EU is irreversible owing to its totally undemocratic, irremoveable and unaccountable soviet-model composition! Before limiters you could accelerate yourself out of trouble without endangering others. So now, at last we have the opportunity to shed what I consider to be one of the most dangerous transport inventions of our time. Robert

cav551:

Blind Bob:

Bob

Because they are too [zb] THICK to realise that it makes little more than a nanosecond of difference to how long it takes them to get to their destination.

There’s also the muppets that like to try and put the back end of their trailer in your cab with you after they overtake. I’m not brave enough to tailgate so I like to leave myself a gap in front so when someone cuts in too close I ease off and open up the gap. A while back while trundling up the M6 I was amazed at how many people that day were happy to engage in ‘elephant racing’ so I’d knock a bit of speed off to let them past and end up with the arse end of a trailer in my face as a token of thanks so I’d knock a bit more speed off to open the gap. Meanwhile here comes another one in my mirror crawling past so ease off again etc etc and there would come a point where I’d have ended up travelling in reverse! If folk pulled back in and left a half decent gap there would probably be more drivers who’d ease off while being overtaken.

robert1952:
…Before limiters you could accelerate yourself out of trouble without endangering others. So now, at last we have the opportunity to shed what I consider to be one of the most dangerous transport inventions of our time. Robert

Yep, my thoughts exactly Robert. We now have a genuine opportunity to improve British road safety and traffic flow. Lets hope someone, somewhere, who maybe in a position of influence to bring about such a change (RHA, FTA, Mr Stobart etc or even the new Transport Minister Chris Grayling?), will actually see it and make it happen!!

Don’t hold your breath though!!.. :unamused:

bullitt:

robert1952:
…Before limiters you could accelerate yourself out of trouble without endangering others. So now, at last we have the opportunity to shed what I consider to be one of the most dangerous transport inventions of our time. Robert

Yep, my thoughts exactly Robert. We now have a genuine opportunity to improve British road safety and traffic flow. Lets hope someone, somewhere, who maybe in a position of influence to bring about such a change (RHA, FTA, Mr Stobart etc or even the new Transport Minister Chris Grayling?), will actually see it and make it happen!!

Don’t hold your breath though!!.. :unamused:

Lets not kid ourselves, we are unlikely to see a relaxation of EU rules once we leave the union as the majority of the rules are transposed into UK law and the UK law makers will have plenty of other things to occupy them, the other aspect to consider is we are still a signatory member of AETR

Spud1960:
…Lets not kid ourselves, we are unlikely to see a relaxation of EU rules once we leave the union as the majority of the rules are transposed into UK law …

Mr Spud, There is a whole thread on the EU so I wont get it into here, suffice to say, as far as I am concerned, we are OUT of the EU. Any rules and laws that were forced upon us by the EU dictatorship are ALL up for review. Following your logic, the appalling “Human Rights Act” giving sanctuary and succour to every evil form of pondlife that walked the planet but ended up here, cannot be revoked either!!

Anyway, enough of that, back to the driving! :laughing: :wink:

Sadly, bullet, our government are unlikely to repeal many of the EU-imposed laws as most of them were brought in under the guise of “safety”.