Flash floods & devastation - Boscastle, Cornwall

Yesterday, the old fishing port of Boscastle was subject to sheer devastation, when a 10ft wave rushed through the village destroying everything in its path.

I have been fortunate, to have spent nearly 2yrs doing kerbside collections in Boscastle and made a lot of ‘work related’ friends, both in the residential and business sector.

Boscastle has been described as “no longer in exsistence”, shops are destroyed, homes washed away and up to 100 cars/vans washed out to sea.

Up to this thread being posted, there has been no fatalities, although there is 15 people unaccounted for. My local division of St.John Ambulance (of which I am a Divisional Officer) were called out last night to assist other emergency services, unfortunately, I was away, but kept informed.

I would like to take this time to say “My sincere thoughts go out to all the residents & visitors of Boscastle and a big thank you to all emergency services and the army, who are now involved”

I will post any up-dates I receive.

Thank you

John

i could not believe my eyes when this came on the news last night,devastation is not the word to describe this.it is good news that no one has lost there lives and i hope that the 15 people un accounted for a found safe and well.please pass on my sympathes to all concerned and i know that the emergency services will be doing there best to help the locals out.it is at times like this when all differences are put to one side and puts things in to perspective.good luck to all involved in this devastation and my thoughts are with yous all.
the community will pull together,when we had the building collapse in glasgow just a few month back the emothions felt not just in glasgow but the length and breadth of brittain was tramendous.yous will get over this especially if no one looses their lives,buildings and personnel equipment can be replaced and re-built,lives cannot,and if everyone comes out of this alive,then things can only get better.it will take time but with the surrounding community’s support and effort you’s will get there.

my heart goes out to yous. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

We normally go down to Cornwall every year for a Holiday & I think of Cornwall as a 2nd home this tragic devastation as knocked the wife & me for six its such a shame I never got to go to Boscastle. I feel now if we go it never be the same as it was. Ours thoughts go out to everybody that as suffered through this & to the rescue services & volenteers that are working to try & bring some normality back to life in Boscastle. Sorry I’m waffleing but I just cant believe whats happened.
John keep us posted & well done the St Johns Ambulance do a good job.

Colin.

I have been to Boscastle many times whilst in my coach touring days… one of my favourite villages in the West country. It was a beautiful little place and it was always a challenge to try and get the coach round that hairpin bend up the hill in one hit!
I always used to take the punters there for lunch instead of where the itinerary suggested… Tintagel lol
I always used to get a cornish pasty from the bakers near the carpark… blinking gorgeous they were.

Hope they get the village back to its former glory and no one suffers too much financially though this could not have come at a worse time… right in the middle of the tourist season

My parents are up in London at the moment, but they live down in Devon, Its amazing to see these sort of things happen in England… Its something you only thought you’d see coming from some other country, but not Boscastle… :cry: :cry: :cry:

Thoughts are with everyone thats affected…

i called in at boscastle on my way down to hayle in july.

the river that runs through it on any normal day is just like a stream, it was one of the best places we visited that week .so picturesque and tranqil.the locals were really frendly.

it just goes to show what the forces of nature can do :angry: ,and i put it down to globel warming and regretabley these things will keep happening.

and i would just like to echo what john as already said.“My sincere thoughts go out to all the residents & visitors of Boscastle and a big thank you to all emergency services and the army, who are now involved” . especially if you have ever visited the place and realise how small the valley is that the rescue services managed to get 7 helicopters in there.

jon

■■■■ happens.

Anyone seen that film with the Big Yin agout the man who sued God?.

I wonder if they could claim their insurance by his method.

This is a cut and paste from another site but I thought it was interesting reading.

By JAN M. OLSEN, Associated Press Writer

COPENHAGEN, Denmark - Rising sea levels, disappearing glaciers in the Alps and more deadly heat waves are coming for Europeans because of global warming, Europe’s environmental agency warned Wednesday.

The European Environment Agency said much more needs to be done – and fast. Climate change “will considerably affect our societies and environments for decades and centuries to come,” its 107-page report said.

It said rising temperatures could eliminate three-quarters of the Alpine glaciers by 2050 and bring repeats of Europe’s mammoth floods two years ago and the heat wave that killed thousands and burned up crops last summer. The rise in sea levels along Europe’s coasts is likely to accelerate, it added.

Global warming (news - web sites) has been evident for years, but the problem is becoming acute, Jacqueline McGlade, executive director of the Copenhagen-based agency, told The Associated Press. “What is new is the speed of change,” she said.

“It takes a long time to see these changes in the glaciers, at the sea level, so like big tankers turning around, they take a long time to change. But now that we see them changing direction, then it means that there are warning signals in many parts of our life,” she added.

McGlade said action is needed at all levels in Europe – continental, regional, national and local. She said, for example, that European nations should insist climate change be on the agenda of international free-trade talks.

Greenpeace welcomed the report. Flooding, heat waves and melting glaciers “make people become more and more aware of the consequences of global warming,” Steve Sawyer of Greenpeace International told AP.

Global warming is believed to be intensified by human activities, in particular emissions of heat-trapping greenhouse gases such as carbon dioxide from the burning of fossil fuels.

The European Union (news - web sites) has been a leader in pushing for implementation of the Kyoto Protocol (news - web sites), a U.N. pact drawn up in 1997 to combat climate change by reducing carbon-dioxide emissions worldwide in 2010 to 8 percent below 1990 levels.

So far 123 countries, including all 25 EU members, have ratified the pact, but it isn’t in effect because it hasn’t reached the required level of nations accounting for 55 percent of the industrialized world’s emissions. The United States, the world’s biggest emitter of greenhouse gases, has refused to ratify, arguing the agreement would hurt its economy, and Russia also hasn’t signed.

Wednesday’s report, “Impacts of Europe’s Changing Climate,” urges that the Kyoto Protocol be adopted, saying climate changes “will considerably affect our societies and environments for decades and centuries to come.”

It said the 1990s were the warmest decade on record, and the three hottest years recorded – 1998, 2002 and 2003 – occurred in the last six years, with the average global temperature now rising at almost 0.36 degrees per decade.

The report singled out floods across Europe two summers ago and last summer’s heat wave in western and southern Europe as examples of destructively extreme weather caused by global warming.

The flooding killed about 80 people in 11 countries, affected more than 600,000 and caused economic losses of at least $18.5 billion, the report said. More than 20,000 deaths, many of them elderly, were recorded during the 2003 heat wave, which also caused up to 30 percent of harvests in many southern countries to fail, it said.

The report said melting shrank glaciers in the Alps by 10 percent in 2003 alone and predicted three-quarters of them could be gone altogether by 2050. European sea levels have been rising by 0.03-0.12 inches a year over the last century, it said, and the rate of increase could be two to four times faster during this century.

The agency is sponsored by the 25 EU countries as well as Bulgaria, Romania, Turkey, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway.

David Bellamy was on telly the other day with one of them monkies from greenpeace saying it was a load of codswallop this global warming thing, i cant remember everything he said but it was along the lines of the earth goes through phases of climate change and right now its going through one.

Apparently the earth,s axis changes every few hundred years and this is one of those times, just remember one thing most of these bad weather days are happening in Britain (some in Europe ) which as we all know is a common thing , when the Sahara desert starts to flood i might get a little worried.

I think that, when the Sahara starts to flood, it will be a bit too late for alarm bells to start ringing Jammy. I know what you mean though mate.

One week we have experts telling us that eating eggs is bad for us. A few months later some other experts tell us that eating eggs is good for us after all. Not on the scale of Global Warming, I agree, but the principal is the same. We have experts on every subject under the sun telling us something, all the news editors jump on the band-wagon, foretelling gloom and doom unless we do what these experts tell us. A few weeks, months or years later (sometimes days), we get another bunch of experts, sometimes the same bunch even, telling us exactly the opposite. The same news editors give us the opposing spiel, as if they had never read their own paper (or whatever), again predicting gloom and doom unless we do what we are told.

So which bunch of experts do we believe this week, or do we take it all with a pinch of salt.
I do my own thing, weeding out whats obviously (in my opinion) junk and doing what I can towards what seems sensible.

I reckon that the Global Warming thing has some truth in it, but I burn fossil fuels for my job and for my hobbies as well. My bike drinks petrol like its going out of fashion, but the :smiley: factor makes it worth while to me. My 'puter needs electricity, which needs fossil fuels to be burned to make.
I don’t think much of the battery powered car type of idea (for example) because each time you convert energy from one form to another, you loose roughly 50% of the energy converted.
To convert fossil fuel into motion in a battery powered car you will loose 95% of the energy contained in the fossil fuel. ie fossil fuel to heat, to kinetic energy (spinning the generator), to electricity, to chemical (battery), to kinetic again (spinning the electric motor) plus the inefficiences of gear boxes, rubber on road etc. That is an enormous amount of energy wasted on getting 1/2 a mile or so, down to the shop for a pint of milk.
That is another example of the “Not in my back yard” type of thinking.
The same thing we are battling against, day in day out. I want the goods in the shops, so I can buy them, but I don’t want the trucks which deliver them anywhere near me.