Fixed Plant

The firm I work for run as fixed plant, as I understand it if there is room to carry a payload you can’t do this. This week I was sent out in a 7.5t with 2 ton trailer, I didn’t think and off I went, it only dawned on me on my return. After talking to the others when I got back to the yard none of us know. What should I do next time?

Don’t take it, you can only tow a trailer plated at 750kg, i know i got done for it.

The truck is plated at 11t train weight and I hold a c+e, The question is, is the vehicle still classed as fixed plant as it now has the capacity to carry a load?

I’m probably wrong but here goes …
I think that fixed plant is a category of vehicle tax, not driving category, so while you are legal to drive it (holding c+e) the firm (and probably you) is liable for incorrect road tax and or red diesel.

Anyone know where I can find some more info? the other boys just take what the boss says must be right, but I need something to back me up if I get asked to do it again (no probs if it’s legal) By the way we don’t use tachos on fixed plant, so I think I’ll need one with trailer.

a definition off fixed plant please and were you carrying a load on the trailer and what were you carrying the companys own equipment for a site or for a customer when i was doing exhibition work i ran about with a 40 foot trailer no tacho quite legal but when i ran solo i needed a tacho the unit changed use of purpose and was then classed as a goods carrying vehicle not an exempted exhibition unit the addition of a trailer on your lorry might do this in reverse

I would think it depends on the purpose of the “cargo” on the trailer. For example if the vehicle was plant because it had an engine driver winch, road breaker etc and the trailer was carrying cable for instalation by the winch, reinstatement tools or material then you’ld expect to be alright.

If the “cargo” was for reward then probably not.

Took an empty trailer to the site, when I finished the job I had to remove a scrap oil tank using the trailer.