Fix HGV driver issues or

…We’ll do it for you. :open_mouth:

“A Transport Select Committee report has concluded that the freight sector must take responsibility for fixing issues with driver retention, recruitment and welfare.”
“Failure to do so should see the Government implement a Supply Chain Levy to assist in building facilities and training new drivers, conclude MPs. The Levy would require the parts of the supply chain where margins are greatest - such as large retailers, oil companies and online service giants - to deliver improved standards and resilience to the supply chain which they themselves require.”

““The long-term solution lies in moving more freight to rail and water. This will help decarbonise the sector and make it more attractive to drivers who want to operate over shorter distances; drivers who want to see their families at the end of a hard day rather than facing anti-social and dangerous nights sleeping in their cabs. In the near-term, we need better conditions to make moving essential goods a sound career choice.”
commercialfleet.org/news/tr … rger-taxes

lancpudn:

“A Transport Select Committee report has concluded that the freight sector must take responsibility for fixing issues with driver retention, recruitment and welfare.”
“Failure to do so should see the Government implement a Supply Chain Levy to assist in building facilities and training new drivers, conclude MPs. The Levy would require the parts of the supply chain where margins are greatest - such as large retailers, oil companies and online service giants - to deliver improved standards and resilience to the supply chain which they themselves require.”

““The long-term solution lies in moving more freight to rail and water. This will help decarbonise the sector and make it more attractive to drivers who want to operate over shorter distances; drivers who want to see their families at the end of a hard day rather than facing anti-social and dangerous nights sleeping in their cabs. In the near-term, we need better conditions to make moving essential goods a sound career choice.”

What are these ‘‘Anti social’’ and ‘‘Dangerous’’ nights sleeping in a cab she’s on about.exactly? :smiley:
Only dangerous ones I can think of are taken by those retards in shallow lay bys with mirrors pulled in,.and the anti social ones were during lockdown cooped up in your cab when Wetherspoons were shut. :laughing:

robroy:

lancpudn:

What are these ‘‘Anti social’’ and ‘‘Dangerous’’ nights sleeping in a cab she’s on about.exactly? :smiley:
Only dangerous ones I can think of are taken by those retards in shallow lay bys with mirrors pulled in,.and the anti social ones were during lockdown cooped up in your cab when Wetherspoons were shut. :laughing:

LOL I think they’re said by people who are afraid of the dark. :grimacing:

I thought the transport industry already paid into an apprenticeship training levy. The problem is the administrators of the fund won’t release money for training. As far as building more facilities, as soon as anyone tries, councils and all the local residents object and nothing happens.

Young people just don’t want to do the job any more. Technology has removed the freedom of the job to the point where on some firms you have to phone the office and obtain a reference number if you need to stop for a wizz. All of the long-haul continental work has gone. Cameras point at you in the cab so your every movement can be scrutinised.

On top of this wages are down by probably 30% compared to 20 years ago. I was 26 when I passed my Class 1, if I was 26 now I wouldn’t dream of doing it.

^^^^ can’t argue with any of that. Also, what’s this crap about “shorter runs”? I’m probably living in the past but the whole attraction to the industry for me when I was young was the lure of thousands of miles travelling through distant places. Again I may be wrong but i figure that if you want to ■■■■ about on local work then maybe you’d be happier labouring on a building site! I certainly would, because at least it’s structured without all the crap on the roads we have to endure.

all a load of bollax no driver shortage never was!

point me to a location were there a driver shortage? over here you need to beg agency for work + 16ph if your lucky lol

im fully experienced not a rookie btw might just head perm

Harry Monk:
Young people just don’t want to do the job any more. Technology has removed the freedom of the job to the point where on some firms you have to phone the office and obtain a reference number if you need to stop for a wizz. All of the long-haul continental work has gone. Cameras point at you in the cab so your every movement can be scrutinised.

On top of this wages are down by probably 30% compared to 20 years ago. I was 26 when I passed my Class 1, if I was 26 now I wouldn’t dream of doing it.

This^^^^^^
Basically they have totally ■■■■ ed the job to what it used to be.
They don’t want drivers, they want yes men, those with a borg like attitude that will take any kind of bullcrap,.basically robots who can’t think for themselves.

Me either would be interested in entering the industry if I was now 21.

trucken:
I thought the transport industry already paid into an apprenticeship training levy. The problem is the administrators of the fund won’t release money for training. As far as building more facilities, as soon as anyone tries, councils and all the local residents object and nothing happens.

here here totally agree look no further than kent county council. expect there tin of beans to be delivered on time every time then pish off and go and park up somewhere out of the county,

You couldn’t make it up , the other month we had everyone bar me saying they’d not get out if anything was happening to lorry / load / diesel etc , now it’s what danger

lancpudn:

The government are wasting there time with this lot , they scream to high heaven about how ■■■■ the job is now , but it’s not that bad theyl be still in that cab on a fri night , out there on a sat / sun , and no doubt rubbing there mucky paws together over a few extra £££££££ this thurs / fri

Translates as one way or another the government intends to deliberately wreck the industry in line with the plan for rail.
No surprise the government needs to create a narrative that the long haul road transport sector is the problem and rail is the solution.

the maoster:
^^^^ can’t argue with any of that. Also, what’s this crap about “shorter runs”? I’m probably living in the past but the whole attraction to the industry for me when I was young was the lure of thousands of miles travelling through distant places.

^
As I’ve said in numerous posts usually flamed by those on here working in the industry for saying it.We generally do the job for the freedom of the open road.
Good luck with the rail head to RDC shunting job.
Its taken a long time for this rabidly anti road transport country to reach the end game.
This narrative was all too predictable being laughably obviously and specifically deliberately targetted at the long haul sector because that’s the traffic that the rail freight lobby wants to take.
All those drivers who bought into it have now got what they wished for.

dozy:
You couldn’t make it up , the other month we had everyone bar me saying they’d not get out if anything was happening to lorry / load / diesel etc , now it’s what danger

It’s obvious that the government has been implementing a long term policy of making long haul work as difficult as possible.
Including deliberately wrecking our international operations and removing numerous alternative Channel Crossing options.
Thereby over loading Kent with international through traffic issues and handing British jobs to East Euro drivers.

TruckDriverBen:
im fully experienced not a rookie btw might just head perm

What . . a bit like Leo Sayer

dozy:

You seem to have missed the whole point on that one doze., so I’ll explain.
If you don’t get out you ain’t in any danger :bulb: simples.
Where as , if you’re daft enough to get out giving it all Tyson Fury, you’ll more than likely end up in a heap…ie ‘‘in danger’’. :bulb:

Now somebody trying to turn over my own gaff with my Mrs there?..wouldn’t think twice
Somebody else’s truck/fuel/load?
Not a cat in hell’s.me old mate.
Hope that explains. :wink:

Apart from that, if you’re selective where you park, and at least try and avoid theft hot spots,.esoecially lay bys, the potential ‘‘danger’’ scenario is cut down by a very high percentage.

robroy:
Only dangerous ones I can think of are taken by those retards in shallow lay bys with mirrors pulled in,

Where they’re forced to take it because all the truckstops once you get to the M62 corridor and south are at 100% capacity and full by 6pm?

This is the National Survey of Lorry Parking done in 2018. It’s got worse since.

gov.uk/government/publicati … ry-parking

From the executive summary:

18,670 vehicles were found to be parked overnight across England. The total capacity of
on-site spaces was found to be 15,012, hence leaving a theoretical excess of 3,658
vehicles that could not park in an on-site space

The following regions have parking that exceeds or is close to exceeding capacity: East
Midlands, East of England, North East, South East, West Midlands and South West.

Conor:

robroy:
Only dangerous ones I can think of are taken by those retards in shallow lay bys with mirrors pulled in,

Where they’re forced to take it because all the truckstops once you get to the M62 corridor and south are at 100% capacity and full by 6pm?

This is the National Survey of Lorry Parking done in 2018. It’s got worse since.

gov.uk/government/publicati … ry-parking

From the executive summary:

18,670 vehicles were found to be parked overnight across England. The total capacity of
on-site spaces was found to be 15,012, hence leaving a theoretical excess of 3,658
vehicles that could not park in an on-site space

The following regions have parking that exceeds or is close to exceeding capacity: East
Midlands, East of England, North East, South East, West Midlands and South West.

Yep absolutely, I take your point and I’m well aware of the chronic truck parking situation in UK compared to other European countries, a bit TOO aware in fact. :unamused:

When I used the term ‘retards’ I was not referring to lads '‘caught short ‘’ for somewhere to park,.I’ve been there myself (although tbf it’s only been a few times it has happened …because I plan my day properly(
.I have driven past many of those totally unsuitable spots after hold ups., and did a print out such as …’'25 mins over after unforseen hold up, rta, to get to first SUITABLE parking place,.and never been questioned.

I was referring more to those with lack of imagination,. stressed out who run to the last minute (literally) and use these type of places as a first option rather than an absolute last resort. :unamused: …guaranteed no proper sleep or daily rest either,.so where is the (usually vocal on more trivial points :unamused: ) H&S lobby…■■?

I have often went off route to find somewhere,.and admittedly maybe ended up in a lay by :unamused: but not one where I was at high risk of getting side swiped or worse.
I think parking in shallow lay bys should be made illegal to save these clowns from themselves.

Carryfast:

the maoster:
^^^^ can’t argue with any of that. Also, what’s this crap about “shorter runs”? I’m probably living in the past but the whole attraction to the industry for me when I was young was the lure of thousands of miles travelling through distant places.

^
As I’ve said in numerous posts usually flamed by those on here working in the industry for saying it.We generally do the job for the freedom of the open road.
Good luck with the rail head to RDC shunting job.
Its taken a long time for this rabidly anti road transport country to reach the end game.
This narrative was all too predictable being laughably obviously and specifically deliberately targetted at the long haul sector because that’s the traffic that the rail freight lobby wants to take.
All those drivers who bought into it have now got what they wished for.

Guys want the freedom of the open road, but not usually 15 hours a day or 6 days a week of it, starting at 4am, for 50 years.

the maoster:
^^^^ can’t argue with any of that. Also, what’s this crap about “shorter runs”? I’m probably living in the past but the whole attraction to the industry for me when I was young was the lure of thousands of miles travelling through distant places. Again I may be wrong but i figure that if you want to ■■■■ about on local work then maybe you’d be happier labouring on a building site! I certainly would, because at least it’s structured without all the crap on the roads we have to endure.

But that’s not the reality today is it? Most guys are not doing long hours on the road to Timbuktu. They’re doing long hours on the motorway carrying washing powder between warehouses.

This is what the government is trying to clamp down on, that the whole sector is organised around extreme working hours.

Even those parts of the sector (or perhaps especially those parts of the sector) that are carrying the most routine kinds of goods as part of regular flows.