Fitter killed by exploding tyre

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/suffolk/7533465.stm
Heard about this thorugh other fitters i have worked with over today and yesterday afternoon.I think i know who the fitter is but dont want to say at this moment as i dont think next of kin has been notified yet…I saw H&S are on scene Wrting up a accident report

Poor kid, condolences to his family. :frowning:

I saw a tyre explode when I was a kid, the fitter was the luckiest bloke ever. he had just jammed a tyre lever in the air gun and walked back to the bench when it went bang.

It has just named the 27 year old fitter. Very Sad.

■■■■!

Something so routine yet so deadly! its a dangerous world out there boys and girls, be careful!

Condolences to his family 27 years of age tragic.

He is named in the news vid.

hadnt watched the vid…But yeah is the kid i thought it was…I have been lucky as it has happened to me twice.

I was a truck tyre fitter between leaving HM forces and starting my truck driving career.When dealing with truck tyres,you are dealing with explosives,make no mistake.
Even before the H & S had been heard of,you were supposed to put a wheel and tyre into a cage before you inflated it.Have you ever seen that done?No,me neither.
My condolences to the lad’s family.

i have yet to see a mobile fitter put a tyre in a cage…always…well nearly always put truck and any high pressure tyre in a cage when i worked in a garage.

jayeastanglia:
i have yet to see a mobile fitter put a tyre in a cage…always…well nearly always put truck and any high pressure tyre in a cage when i worked in a garage.

That is the problem with the mobile fitter, every body is in such a rush to be back on the road. If i have had a tyre changed in Europe, it seems to be the norm to take the wheel back to the depot.

I was amongst D20’s with split rims when I left school, the bloke I worked for is still in business but mainly remoulding now.

I wouldn’t want your job for all the tea in ceylon Jaye.

One of the forklift drivers burst a tyre in my old works with one of the shunters standing next to it, managed to burst his ear drum and he couldnt hear proper for about a fortnight.

Condolences to all the family.
Must be pretty scary blowing those big tyres up.

Worked as a tyre fitter for National Tyre Service for 4 years before getting my hgv licence.Always carried a safety cage on the back of the Leyland Fg(threepenny bit cab) but never used it and that was in the days of tubed tyres, lock rings and flanges - never had one go.
Obviously dont know the circumstances of this tragic event but in the days of tubeless tyres this must be a very rare occurence.
Product failure perhaps?, condolences to anybody involved.

I turned up an hour after the incident to collect a load of grain saw the air ambulance parked up on the old runway then all the usual health and safety arrived. Someone said he was blowing up a second hand tyre when diasaster struck. Known throughout sudbury by lots of drivers. Condolences to family.

my Condolences to all the family

iirc the cage was for split rimmed wheels and became a thing of the past i’ve always been told even if i’m just blowing a tyre up to stand to the side of it just in case

I had a puncture yesterday,so the fitter was called out and started to sort it out,another one of our drivers came over to him and took great delight in saying “did you hear about that fitter that got killed yesterday etc”
I said “leave it out mate,he does’nt need to hear ■■■■ like that does he?”
fitter said"I hope he had his hard hat on,or insurance wont pay out" :open_mouth:

Is this true?? if so how the ■■■■ is a hard hat suppose to protect you from exploding rubber??

a lot of health and safety is just complete ■■■■■■■■ to me.,I now have to wear a MAGIC hard hat at Thamesport that protects me in case a 40’ container drops on my head :unamused: :angry: :angry:

bikemonkey:
I had a puncture yesterday,so the fitter was called out and started to sort it out,another one of our drivers came over to him and took great delight in saying “did you hear about that fitter that got killed yesterday etc”
I said “leave it out mate,he does’nt need to hear [zb] like that does he?”
fitter said"I hope he had his hard hat on,or insurance wont pay out" :open_mouth:

Is this true?? if so how the [zb] is a hard hat suppose to protect you from exploding rubber??

a lot of health and safety is just complete ■■■■■■■■ to me.,I now have to wear a MAGIC hard hat at Thamesport that protects me in case a 40’ container drops on my head :unamused: :angry: :angry:

I agree. I doubt a hard hat is going to protect anyone, especially when the tyre exploded and he took the full force in his chest according to the news video. But it keeps the news trolls from going hungry.