First week on Containers

Well this time last week i was posting on here asking for information on container work,and in true trucknet style you lot gave me the warts and all.

A lot of the practical stuff was great and helped a lot due to my on the job training being about 10 mins long,it came in usefull.

I have carried everything from sheepskins to scrap metal and anything in between. Next week I hope to try and do a diary of sorts with a few pics.

Now my reason for this post is that I asked you lot about freightliner leeds.
Well usually I read and ingest and then spit out any info that might dodgy, BUT on this topic you lot were bang on…

Things I observerd were when they say…

1. Follow the one way system…They mean not all the time and when we tell you to you can run in the opposite direction which totally freaks out the people they have not let into the secret. And you should know which way to go even though you have never been here before.

2. Dont turn around with twist locks open…They mean “we don’t really mean it”

3. When I say Felixstowe and use the far crane…They mean use the near crane.

4. When they ask you to sign to say you have understood all the info in the site induction …they mean here is a map of the site with all the rules on please read and understand them all in the 60 seconds between this window and the crane. :open_mouth:

5.When they say do not get out of your vehicle under any circumstances :open_mouth: …they mean well just to change your twists from a 40 foot to 20 foot.

When they say failing to adhere to our saftey standards could lead you to be banned from the site they are talking ■■■■

Now the above are just a few small things that are bugging me, but the ultimate is the atitude of the reptile with the grey hair that has been on the window this week, On pulling up at the window and passing the paper work through the window,and asking for a site map due to not having been there before he sighs and says :

“Your not very good at writing your conatainer number on pal are you ?”

To which I reply " And your not very observant are you pal because it’s on the top left of the page"

Reptile then slams window shut for about 5 minutes and then opens it again and passes mi paperwork back out tells me mi crane etc etc .

The day after the above incident i am waiting to pull in to the yard but there is a truck at the window, so I wait and pull up when he has gone. Now reptile has recognised my truck and is sat behind the window just shaking his head for a couple of minutes…he opend the window and says “Don’t you know what the yellow hatched area is for pal”

Certainly do I say

“Well you were parked in it while you were waiting”

No I was not and if that camera is working we will be able see from your video pal won’t we ?"

anyway reptile lets me in and i do the business and later that afternoon return to drop another box etc . This time I am parked a few trucks away from the the gate and clearly watch every truck pull into the box.

Now when I get to the window I ask the reptile if the rules have changed in the last four hours because I have sat and watched him book in at least 8 trucks without mentioning the fact or coming out to say something.

Anyhow it goes without saying that what I was told about this place is true and that if I leave containers I will make a point of seeing the reptile outside of school hours. :sunglasses:

Freightliner are a pain in the arse. They may have new trucks but everything else is antiquated. I had murder yesterday at Garston, bloke wants me to wear high viz whilst i’m in the cab. And yes, if one number is wrong or missing they don’t mess about or help…whoosh !! You out pronto…its wrong and thats that. In Garston, when you’ve booked in they tell you to take it to …4 on 96 over three…i havn’t got a clue what it means but after i’ve waited for a bit i forget the numbers !! Crane driver said to me…“where’s it going?” I said “Plymouth” he said, ‘we don’t go there’ !!! I said i can;t remember then, the guy at the hatch told me about two hours ago, i’ve no idea !!! They are the Tescos of the container world !!!

Theres nothing worse than some ■■■■ making a new bods job harder.
Back when i first started i got some work pulling fridges to and from rdc,s all over.
My agency warned me about the sercurity guard that lives in a little egg box between the two gates, apparently he likes to be a ■■■■ to any agency drivers.
So i turns up, bookin and grab unit and trailer go to the gate and he slides the window open and says “name” i give it and he just slams the window and opens the gate. Rude ■■■■■
So off i go to middleton i think
Come back, pull up, he slides window open and i ask him where the pumps are.
He replys…do i look like a f…g shunter, and slams the window.
Anyway i find pumps and start to drive out the yard to another depot, he see,s me coming and opens the gate.
I put my foot down because i thought the gate was gonna shut.
Bear in mind ive had my licence for a week.
Im almost through and i look in my mirror to find my trailer 1 inch from his egg box. I very nearly dragged it out the gate. i could see the look on his face.
Sheer terror.
I didnt stop
Anyway ever since then he has been as nice as pie
ha ha ha ha he thinks i did it on purpose…still makes me laugh.

here you go dave… just in case your missing it till monday.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Just done a week on containers for an agency…It was so boring I have never slept so much in my life, I even resorted to reading a book.

Why is it that some, not all people who work on the docks/container terminals speak to you like a pleb!!
You try to be nice to people but it is not reciprocated, other drivers are ok , especially the Shuntrite driver last night in Trinity…the older guy, a bit big with a big tash, you know who you are ‘Cheers mate’ thanks for the help.

The people who I delivered to were ok, no problems there. Mind you a smile and a cheery 'Hello does go a long way!!!

The vehicle was nery nice a Volvo gobstopper with the ‘i’ gear box…Wow superb.

All in all not too bad, but i’m still considering my full time options,Agency, UK Full time or continental again■■?

I have read a lot about office/security turds verbally abusing drivers on this forum. I don’t know why they do it. I have to admit I don’t recall having any such problems when I was a driver, that was along while ago though.
Its a shame as the drivers “lot” has not got that much better over the years, they should expect better treatment than some of the turds are giving out.

next time reptile goes ape,give him it straight between the eyes,that way instant ban and no more freightliner leeds?

BIG MAC:
next time reptile goes ape,give him it straight between the eyes,that way instant ban and no more freightliner leeds?

What always amazes me about these kind of people is that if you came accross them in a boozer or outside of their cages they would not have the bottle to speak to people like they do.

But I always say what goes around comes around (eventually) :wink:

Mike-C I go into Garston on a daily basis and to be fair to them I don,t usually have any problems other than the usual one no. out on ref or pin no,s but to be fair to them if the ref is wrong they could end up giving your box to someone else.

The wearing of Hi-Viz in the cab is so they see you with it on before they let you in as they get their a*** kicked for not ensuring drivers are wearing " the correct PPE" the same as not wearing a “hard hat” when in the crane area as we all know when that M/T 40ft drops on your bonce that “Hard Hat” will save you :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink: :wink: :wink:

But to be fair I was loading a box one day and a railway sleeper was stuck underneath it when he was passing over the trains and it dropped off near my wagon and I don,t know who got more of a bloody fright me or the crane driver :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

There is only one lazy ignorant sod on the desk there and his name plastered all over the wall under the window and believe me there is more movement in a tramps vest than him!

As for the “where to go” bit they usually write on your notes something like 1-49 on 4 or 49 -90 on 6 which means any slot from 1-49 and you tell the crane driver box is on road 4 and the same again for 49-90 and if they say 36 on 3 that means “slot” 36 marked on left side on kerb slabs is where your box out is located and is on road 3 and same for 49-90 and if you are waiting for 49-90 you don,t wait in the qeue for 1-49 you go on the outside to 49-90 to the second crane (Arrol 2) you only wait at one qeue for “arrol 2” if the window has a sign saying “0ne Q only” .

NEJ:
Mike-C I go into Garston on a daily basis and to be fair to them I don,t usually have any problems other than the usual one no. out on ref or pin no,s but to be fair to them if the ref is wrong they could end up giving your box to someone else.

The wearing of Hi-Viz in the cab is so they see you with it on before they let you in as they get their a*** kicked for not ensuring drivers are wearing " the correct PPE" the same as not wearing a “hard hat” when in the crane area as we all know when that M/T 40ft drops on your bonce that “Hard Hat” will save you :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink: :wink: :wink:

I realise that. I have all the PPE and they can see it. The probem i have with wearing a high viz in the cab is that sunlight reflects off the reflective strips onto your windscreen and you can’t see properly

NEJ:
But to be fair I was loading a box one day and a railway sleeper was stuck underneath it when he was passing over the trains and it dropped off near my wagon and I don,t know who got more of a bloody fright me or the crane driver :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

There is only one lazy ignorant sod on the desk there and his name plastered all over the wall under the window and believe me there is more movement in a tramps vest than him!

As for the “where to go” bit they usually write on your notes something like 1-49 on 4 or 49 -90 on 6 which means any slot from 1-49 and you tell the crane driver box is on road 4 and the same again for 49-90 and if they say 36 on 3 that means “slot” 36 marked on left side on kerb slabs is where your box out is located and is on road 3 and same for 49-90 and if you are waiting for 49-90 you don,t wait in the qeue for 1-49 you go on the outside to 49-90 to the second crane (Arrol 2) you only wait at one qeue for “arrol 2” if the window has a sign saying “0ne Q only” .

Well you’ve told me more than they ever have done. First time there i asked what does that mean i don’t understand it, i got told just drive to the first crane !!
I couldn’t remember all that load of stuff !!!

The other thing I forgot to mention was that “Arrol 2” doesn,t start till 0620am why I don,t know ?

Also if you see a crane with the lifter facing “across” the containers and not in line with the containers it means that crane is out of use so go straight to the one in use.

If the train is coming in be prepared to wait as they normally won,t load boxes while the train is shunting traffic in the yard but that is usually early in the morning.

So if you get there before 0620 ask the drivers in the qeue if they are waiting for Arrol 1 or 2 as when 2 starts up you can usually go round the qeue to 2

Also they might say 12 on back storage or front storage this means go to slot 12 say or any other no. they give and tell the crane driver front or back storage with the last 4 digits of the box say TRLU 1234 they don,t need all the no,s of the box only the last 4.