first. time....

Hey guys & gals!!!

I’m shipping out to Belgium for the first time this week for a couple of days in a tipper. Bit nervous (obviously), I’ll be grateful for any useful tips on how to avoid getting pulled etc (apart from the obvious ones that is) is there such thing as a European HGV atlas as this would be massively useful, not too keen on relying on a sat nav to do the work!!
All the paperwork is sorted out that I need whilst out there…V5, insurance etc etc…
Not sure whether I’m going by water or rail yet as will find out Monday.
What is the best way to make calls in Europe? For example if I want to call the wife, what’s the cheapest way to go about it? Don’t want to get slapped with a massive bill when I return!!!

Much obliged

Simon

Do you know where you are going in Belgium? I’m not aware of an HGV atlas as such although the orange Michelin maps show height and weight restrictions.

Probably not worth it unless you do it regularly but an international roaming SIM card is the cheapest way to phone home, otherwise on o2 I believe it’s 35p per minute.

Not sure where the place is yet. I’ll find out Monday morning I guess!
Should give me plenty of time to look up where the place is before touching down on foreign soil though!!
I’ll look up on the map to see if one exists anywhere. Is the michelin maps a phone based application?
Thanks for your help!!

I’m more thinking of the paper based one, it looks like this.

Belgium is fairly truck friendly though and most places seem to be sited fairly sensibly. I used to go there all the time in a bulk tipper and it was never a great drama.

I’d say there is a 50/50 chance that you will backload pre-limed ossiens (animal bone fragments) out of Vilvoorde, Brussels, that’s a very common tipper load out of Belgium.

As far as avoiding a tug, keep to the speed limits and obey the road signs and you should be fine :slight_smile:
Above all enjoy yourself you will be fine :sunglasses:

Harry Monk:
I’m more thinking of the paper based one, it looks like this.

Belgium is fairly truck friendly though and most places seem to be sited fairly sensibly. I used to go there all the time in a bulk tipper and it was never a great drama.

I’d say there is a 50/50 chance that you will backload pre-limed ossiens (animal bone fragments) out of Vilvoorde, Brussels, that’s a very common tipper load out of Belgium.

Animal Bone fragments
:open_mouth:

Thanks for the help! I’ll have a look for the map!!

cypry0:
As far as avoiding a tug, keep to the speed limits and obey the road signs and you should be fine :slight_smile:
Above all enjoy yourself you will be fine :sunglasses:

Speed limits? What’s that?
:wink:

I’m looking forward to it so should be good fun!!

sydeakinwoods:
Animal Bone fragments
:open_mouth:

Vilvoorde is a couple of miles off of the Brussels ring road, the stuff you load is basically pulverised animal bone fragments and animal connective tissue that has been boiled and then been left to soak in lime for a few months, whenever you take one of these,

that’s what the outer casing is made from.

not trying to teach you how to ■■■■ eggs but as its your first time you do know you need to buy roadtax aka vignette :wink:

welshboyinspain:
not trying to teach you how to ■■■■ eggs but as its your first time you do know you need to buy roadtax aka vignette :wink:

Yeah I have been informed of this :smiley:. There is a service station once you arrive, somewhere close to the port I believe? That you purchase it from?

My first views of Belgium were like many other peoples, it is 3 hours across it on the way to Germany, however having worked in the country and with the people it isn’t as easy as is made out, you will need a good map and a sense of adventure, especially if going off the beaten track. There are dozens of miles of broken roads and roads closed for no apparent reason.

If it is a regular job, a simple photocopy of a map should do, but if it is Belgian internals, heed my warning :stuck_out_tongue:

sydeakinwoods:

welshboyinspain:

Yeah I have been informed of this :smiley:. There is a service station once you arrive, somewhere close to the port I believe? That you purchase it from?

Either get it at tie IDS filling station in Calais, which is on the ZI (zone industrielle) des Dunes, signposted as you leave the port of Calais, or get it at Veurne truckstop

romacfuels.com/nl/truckstop.html

Welvaartstraat 5
8630 Veurne

Which is off at the second exit after you cross the Belgian border.

Also Belguim does have a overtaking ban for truck on all 2 lane motorways, unless otherwise stated, unlike the rest of Europe that tell you it’s no overtaking.

As somebody who still thinks they are pretty new to this driving trucks in Europe, my main advice is not to worry to much is not as bad as some would make out.

Harry Monk:

sydeakinwoods:

welshboyinspain:

Either get it at tie IDS filling station in Calais, which is on the ZI (zone industrielle) des Dunes, signposted as you leave the port of Calais, or get it at Veurne truckstop

romacfuels.com/nl/truckstop.html

Welvaartstraat 5
8630 Veurne

Which is off at the second exit after you cross the Belgian border.

You can also get it on the internet,

eurovignettes.eu/portal/en/ … reset=true

And don’t forget to stop here…

To buy a couple of 10-packs of this…

Harry Monk:
And don’t forget to stop here…

To buy a couple of 10-packs of this…

That is my first scheduled stop :smiley:

Wheel Nut:
My first views of Belgium were like many other peoples, it is 3 hours across it on the way to Germany, however having worked in the country and with the people it isn’t as easy as is made out, you will need a good map and a sense of adventure, especially if going off the beaten track. There are dozens of miles of broken roads and roads closed for no apparent reason.

If it is a regular job, a simple photocopy of a map should do, but if it is Belgian internals, heed my warning :stuck_out_tongue:

I think it is a regular job…but…I am going to track down some maps today from a good book shop, just incase! I’d rather have them and get stuck than not have them and get lost!!
:confused:

One more thing…am I right in thinking service stations are free to park in over there■■?

The road network is straight forward. Problems that I’ve had is driving at night and forgeting what side of road to drive on. Traffic lights in the middle of motorways/dual carrigeways catching me by surprise. Getting lost is normaly not a problem as well sign posted and small country, a hour or two driving around aimlessly gets you back on the right track.

sydeakinwoods:
One more thing…am I right in thinking service stations are free to park in over there■■?

Yes they are, although there are a few truckstops where you have to pay.

You may find that on visiting the toilet though, that there is a “toilet dragon” sat on a chair outside the toilet demanding 50cents for entry.