First time using the Euro Tunnel what to expect

This will be my first trip to Europe by truck , is the euro tunnel a easy experience ,I’m taking the wife as a co pilot but very concerned about this “smelly bus” thing I’ve just read about
Is it quicker by tunnel or on the boat to Dunkirk
Which is the more relaxing too?
Cheers
Ray

Quicker by tunnel except when there are delays, more relaxing on the ferry, the tunnel is all quite self-explanatory. Only thing that normally catches people out is getting on the wrong minubus at Calais, make sure you exit the Club Car using the same entrance you got on at, there’s one at each end.

And be careful not to stand on anyone’s toes as they are most likely to be wearing flip flops and that can hurt …

As already said simply follow the lanes and instructions take your own coffee with you if you want a drink i always do and a book and earphones to my i pod so i cant listen to the smelly flip flops and a peg for your nose lo
l :smiley: if you want a vignet you can get one from thomas cook desk at the info desk good luck .ferry the best way

We have always gone both ways via the train but no more…out on the train and now back on the boat…the train has just got so unpredictable (mainly Calais-Folkestone)

Thanks every one
The boat is cheaper for me only using a 7.5t trouble is its 7.8m long and the tunnel pricing is 7.5 to 13m £421 return below 7.5m is £300
Boat 7.5m to 13m £300 :smiley: to dunkirk!
As i will be using the crossing a lot it looks like the boat,i liked the idea of the train as it seems so much quicker .I am in Devon so i can only get as far as Maidstone on the taco :angry:

The train is quicker on a good day, but unless the job was time-critical, I’d choose the Dunkerque ferry every time. You can get a reasonable-ish meal in the drivers’ lounge (follow signs for “Road Kings” once on the ferry, it’s up top.

The ferry lands you half an hour further up the coast anyway which can help with the tacho once you’re over.

Slob:
Thanks every one
The boat is cheaper for me only using a 7.5t trouble is its 7.8m long and the tunnel pricing is 7.5 to 13m £421 return below 7.5m is £300
As i will be using the crossing a lot it looks like the boat,i liked the idea of the train as it seems so much quicker .I am in Devon so i can only get as far as Maidstone on the taco :angry:

What speed is your limiter set at ■■? I load an artic with China clay from St Austell and I can do from there to the train in 7.5 hrs and thats going via the M5-M4-M25-M26-M20…Distance is shorter via A303 but dont save any on fuel or time and extra wear and tear on the clutch and brakes.

I’m in Torquay ,what I meant was at 56mph 4.5 hours gets me to Maidstone ,I would have liked to have had my break on the ferry then anther session driving

Slob:
Thanks every one

Not suggesting anything here. But they rarely measure anything on the train.
I too come from Devon. You will struggle to make Maidstone in 4.5 hrs unless the traffic is extremely kind.

I was reading that a laser device automatically measures the truck ,this was on euro tunnel freight site

Slob:
I was reading that a laser device automatically measures the truck ,this was on euro tunnel freight site

That would explain why I’ve never seen anything measured. But I thought that was just for height.

Them ferry rates seem high to me.
Try Harbour shipping they should shave a good rate off.
For example on Polski Lines to Dunkirk for 7mtr its £70.

would really like to say what a pleasurable thing it is to take the train, but them days are long gone, just time your journey rite to catch the boat from dover so you don’t have to wait to long at dover. The train service now is far from fast and reliable, I really can’t see how they can advertise this, because nowadays it certainly is far from fast and reliable… Take the ferry sit back relax have a bite to eat and a FREE cuppa…

I used the train a couple of weeks ago. Granted it was quiet, because it was Sunday afternoon, but I’ve never really noticed anything smelling too badly any other time I’ve used it. The train has never been that sweet smelling a place to be in, even when it was fairly new.

You won’t make the train in a 7.5t from Torquay. FACT! I tried it for 2.5 years via the A303 and the motorway route.

4.5 hours got me to maidstone…i found the tunnel very nerving… no signs where to go nothing,i think euro tunnel thinks everyone knows where to go

Slob:
4.5 hours got me to maidstone…i found the tunnel very nerving… no signs where to go nothing,i think euro tunnel thinks everyone knows where to go

I know where to go miss the turn off go to Dover lol

Slob:

Well, what signs you need? I can’t imagine how anyone could get lost with all that green arrows flashing for you…