First time to Greece

Going to Greece via Austria on way out , Which would be the best route ? , Stright back from Greece i would imagine i should get the boat to Italy and then home the usual way i go . any advice would be welcome, I know the way to Austria so save your finger’s on the keyboard, Thx

Ancona to Patras I would imagine. I believe it’s a lot of grief going down through the Balkans.

If you’re transiting Austria I presume that you’ll be going in by Innsbruck, if so straight down to the Brennerpass & into Verona, then I’d take the A4 east to Padova & drop down to Ravenna & the coast road down to Ancona, Bari, Brindisi, wherever. It’s the A16 IIRC, that avoids running down to Modena & cut’s the corner out.

It all depends where you’re starting off in Austria, if you’re over further to the east then maybe down through Linz, Graz, Villach to the border at Arnoldstein, whic drops you down to Udine, then Venice to Ravenna again & Roberts your fathers brother :wink:

Don’t know where the drop is in Austria yet , but the Boss said ’ I suppose you will drive down through Bulgaria’ So i don’t know what he has in mind. What would be the problem’s by driving through the Balkan’s ? , The weather i would imagine, How long would it take to get to Greece ? I would think there could be delay’s at Border’s ? etc

last time I went to Kosovo, I went via the Brenner pass (free for military load) and shipped Ancona Patras, while an old school driver who loaded at the same place went overland, I got there 2 days before him and was back in Italy before he was tipped, but that was when the troubles were still going on

There is a pretty good motorway from Hungary near Szeged through Serbia into Macedonia From the Hungarian border to about Novi Sad its a single carriageway but with very limited access points. There south its dual. Belgrade is quite easy to get through. One biggish hill south of Belgrade but otherwise flattish. Good services on the motorway. We use it as far south as NIs en route to Kosovo. Obviously you are leaving EU, whereas Romania and Bulgaria are now in. You need to make some kind of judgement regarding road conditions in Rom and Bulgaria, compared with possible customs delays. We use a small customs post near Tompa rather than the main motorway one. PM if you want details.

as well as the customs delays you’ll need a permit for serbia aswell would you not i ended up paying €100 at the horgos border when i went down to belgrade last year as i didnt have one and when i come out into croatia it took some effort to get out customs on the border asking for the permit and me handing them everything else instead till they had enough and said just go

going down thru austria would it not be shorter shipping out of venice if you could get away with it

have they made any improvment to the system were you get your tickets yet in ancona it was a complete disatser when i was there in october

I dont see why anyone would even consider Greece overland any longer. The main reasons were cost and being able to get on the red sooner, originally from East Germany onwards.

Since the price of fuel has increased, there is now a vignette to buy in CZ, SK, H, etc, added to the fact that there could be border delays, as you may still have to either manifest across the former Jughead countries or travel on carnet. It must be false economy to use the long way round.

The fact that most drivers left Dover and the next contact with base would be when they had tipped out and were having a couple of days off on the beach.

Road transport has had to speed up, and I imagine even a load to Pireaus will be JIT these days,

Thankyou for all the replie’s so far, If you don’t know ask people that do . Yet again Trucknet very helpfull

That all bepends on when you gota be where your going, how heavy you are what day of the week it is weather you mean going via Austria you mean overland, or using the ferries. Bit vague on your question but if you got the time go thru Venice its a nice crossing if not, Ancona. Do you really gain enough to warrent the hassel of going overland?