First time to Germany

I am travelling out to Germany from Ireland with a 18ton rigid 3 axle to collect a piece of equipment in Nordkirchen, north of Dortmund. Just looking for info on what to look out for in order to stay on the right side of the law in both the UK and the continent. Normally I would just get the equipment delivered but I have to travel over to inspect the equipment and get some final training anyway. The return load will only weigh 8 tonne so won’t have any weight issues but am interested in info on tolls and other items the authorities might be sticky on. Also any route recommendations would be much appreciated.

You will need all your tacho records for the last 28 days, if not you need an activity attestation letter done on line by you or your boss, if you have an absence in driving for a holiday or illness.
The commercial vehicle enforcement unit is called B.A.G.
The toll payment is fairly straight forward as you have a language option on the screen, it allows time to complete the route and take your daily rest.
You pay for pristine loos, and the voucher you get a discount in the cafe off a drink or food, the toilets are very clean, and the loo seat has a rotation device that cleans the the loo.
Leave a big gap while in heavy traffic, with not much warning it can stop in seconds around the big cities.
You can take the free roads,most have weight restrictions, but i would come off the toll road to find an Auberge or Tavern and muck in with the friendly locals who will welcome you, when you park up at night.
The MSA area offer good quality meals, and a huge choice for breakfast.
When on the toll machine you can zoom in and out the map area for your destination and take the exit it says on the ticket or map, if you ask a driver he will help you do it as it has to bee 100% correct to avoid a fine.
Check for truck bans, they start on the evening before a holiday starts, so you must find a place to park up.

You will need a benelux vignette. This is the road tax for Belgium, Holland, Luxembourg, Sweden, and Denmark. It’s 8 Euros per day. Just get it for the week, I think it works out to about 30ish euros. You can get this online or from harbour shipping.
eurovignettes.eu/portal/en/ … reset=true
You will need to pay the Maut for Germany. Get a good German map and plan your route. You need to pay before entering the German motorway network. You pay for the roads you use and the exit in advance.
It’s not too easy the first time, but there’s usually plenty of people about to help. (they’ve all been in the same situation), so don’t get too flustered with it.
carry your driving licence, passport, vehicle insurance, MOT, and vehicle registration document.
origionals only.

You’ll need a vignette for belgy and holland and pay the maut ( German toll ) at a machine at the border. All other laws are the same. Just one tip - keep your speed down & you’ll go un noticed. Have fun.

Make sure it’s well strapped down

Thanks guys. Less daunting than i expected by the sounds of it. Dee what route would you take if you were doing that trip. Straight ferry trip to France or the short hop over to Holyhead and drive across to the channel? Anywhere i should be looking for good deals on carrying the truck?

As has been posted strap load well etc.If I was doing it[mind ive been ret11yrs]I would go Holyhead-dover Calais-gent-Antwerp-eindoven-Venlo[nl-d]border then follow map but having got toll go down a40 to Duisburg for starters.To get an idea get it up on google maps,good trip hope this helps.
regards dave.

dafdave:
As has been posted strap load well etc.If I was doing it[mind ive been ret11yrs]I would go Holyhead-dover Calais-gent-Antwerp-eindoven-Venlo[nl-d]border then follow map but having got toll go down a40 to Duisburg for starters.To get an idea get it up on google maps,good trip hope this helps.
regards dave.

This above watch going through Antwerpen there’s a toll on the ring depending on which way you go ,to the west is the toll and to the east is through the tunnel which is free,also get your vignette at Dover or the tunnel it will be easier for you.

I’d go Calais-Venlo-Nordkirchen.
But timing is critical. The road between Duisberg and Hennichenburg is busy at the best of times.

Cheers lads. Much appreciated

Anti slip mats under load

Euros for Bratwurst :smiley: Oh and don’t forget the senf and pommes mit mayo :wink:

18 ton rigid 3 axle :confused: