First time test pass, and now a few questions!

Hi all,

Firstly, thanks for having me on the forum! I’ve been doing my B to C+E course this past week with Dave at CTT (Commercial Transport Training) in Leighton Buzzard, and I’m very happy to say that after 26 hours of training I passed my test today first time, albeit with 3 minors (all well deserved) with the examiner Ray at the Leighton Buzzard DVSA centre (if anybody knows Ray you’ll know he’s the friendlies examiner you’ll ever meet, but doesn’t miss a ■■■■ thing!).

Unlike most on here I’m not looking to become a professional driver, but instead drive for my own private purposes (not for any business use either). I have a few questions relating to this and other areas, so if anybody could advise I would greatly appreciate it!

1. If I have a tractor unit where the plated weight is less than 7.5t, can I drive it into an area with a 7.5t weight restriction?
  2. I’ve done my driver CPC as it was included in my course. I don’t intend to drive commercially so I don’t technically need it, but if I want to retain it I understand I need to undertake 35 hours of training every 5 years. Not being a professional driver, is there an easy way to achieve this or an alternative way to maintain it such as just doing the course again?
  3. Being a personal vehicle for personal use, I understand from various sources that I’m not required to use the tacho nor keep to drivers hours regulations. Does anybody know the exact legislation, and if I were to do this would I likely run into trouble with VOSA?
  4. Does anybody know of any insurance companies that will insure tractor units for private use OR companies that will spot rent tractor units to private individuals without an O licence?

Thanks in advance, very happy to be here and to have joined the ranks of licensed drivers!

I can only have a stab at 1 & 2,
1, yes equal to or less than means you can drive past the sign, and you’re right it’s the plated GVW that matters not your actual weight, so no exemptions when empty.
2. There’s talk of abolishing the 35 hrs CPC requirement in favour of a refresher and test. You’ve got 5 years before you need to worry about it, so don’t!

Congratulations on your pass!

pass ce.png
PASSING FIREWORKS.gif

CPC only needed to drive commercially so if you are never going to do that then you just wasted your time and money doing the tests for that

stu675:
I can only have a stab at 1 & 2,
1, yes equal to or less than means you can drive past the sign, and you’re right it’s the plated GVW that matters not your actual weight, so no exemptions when empty.
2. There’s talk of abolishing the 35 hrs CPC requirement in favour of a refresher and test. You’ve got 5 years before you need to worry about it, so don’t!

Congratulations on your pass!

Thank you for the congratulations and clarifications! I figured that would be the case with 1 but wanted to check! Very interesting regarding 2, fingers crossed that happens in the next 5 years!

ROG:
CPC only needed to drive commercially so if you are never going to do that then you just wasted your time and money doing the tests for that

Thanks for the congratulations above! The test was included as part of a package deal that, compared to other schools in the area, was still an excellent price so that’s the only reason I did it. Plus it gives me the option that should I ever want to do a mate with an O licence a favour or something I’m at least covered in that area.

Regarding question 3, I think anything over 7.5T wouldn’t be exempt even for personal use. There was a similar question recently and very limited exemptions apply beyond 7.5T.

This thread
r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic? … source=app

Hire and reward