First time into Europe (gulp)

Hi all

I am knackered LOL just got back after 10 days away. Started new job, truck, pay and work is all good but the bloody weather has been costing me extra time away.

Started off running air freight down to BA world cargo (the eternal wait club) which took four days due to sitting on Hollyhead docks for 36 hours waiting for the blinking boats to start sailing again…which turned out to be my weekly rest period so on return to Eire was turned around.

Left Sunday just before lunch Dell Limmerick loaded with computers running in convoys of 2 down to Le Ulis, Paris. Arrived Rosslare for the ferry for it to be 4 hours behind joy, which was handy enough as it gave me 10 hours off. Arrived into the UK and ran straight through with a quick 45 at Reading. As I joined the M20 the old heart beat started to raise…it suddenly dawned on me…reality checl…I know bugger all about the pit falls of the continent, vignettes, tolls etc.

Got onto tunnel, after truck being x-rayed (pretty impressive) through and took nine hours at the services in the tunnel complex the other end. I even impressed myself by remembering how to order a ham baguette and coffee in french that was my limit. Met up with the other Le Ulis driver and we set off at 2200 Monday (UK time). Stopped at the shell services 81km and awaited our security ■■■■■■. We were then whisked down the A1 onto the 86 then the A10 turning off one slip road and onto another after quick succesion, I didnt have a bloody clue where I was…arriving Le Ulis 0230. Was told where to park on arrival and security said you have one hour after that dogs will be roaming the yard!

Awoke at 0800 and my learned colleague was on the bay…1100 he was tipped,3 hrs! Went and enquired and was told the unload is by hand ball. We unload one Eire truck with computers then a dutch truck which has the monitors matching that consignment! I was then told my time was 1800 joy oh joy. After spednign the day watching DVDs, reading, drinking coffee at 1900 put truck onto bay and was told thats it for the evening after you…so left truck in place and four of us went a drinking.

0500 awoke and off…by pure fluke managed to wing it back to the A1. Stopped off bought my Vignette and strong coffee which seems to be all you can get here (LOL) checked the map heading for DHL Willebroke Belgium. Lovely drive up…making time into Belgium when I got flagged over by the Police. Got a right ticking off for overtaking during the hours of 0700 - 1000 I didnt see the signs thought I was in for a fine but they must have been sympathetic to my god awefull scared look in my eyes. Continued up round Brussels onto the A12 and into Willebroeke 1100. Was loaded in 30 mins with toys for TK Max in Watford. Headed off stopping on route for 45 mins in the services just north of Gent and a stock up of cigarettes and coffee. Into Calais and into Bottles fill top bunk with wine and beer, take 250 ltrs diesel on board at Romac fuels and head off for P&O.

Off of boat at 1730 and decision time do I go straight to Watford chancing the traffic and lack of hours left or pull into clacket lane, the latter sufficed. Was booked in for 9. Slept like a log and headed off early arriving in Watford at 0630. The address was TK Maxs head office. Security guard as helpfull as a chocolate fire guard sent me to the store around the corner. The staff got in at 0730 to tell me it is nt for them. Quick call to Eire to be informed Stoke is where you are supposed to be! Arrived Stoke 1200 straight onto the bay result! Pulled off the bay at 1600 hrs…4 hours to unload 24 pallets pretty impressive.

Told head for Heinz Wigan, thats me buggered then no way am i getting on the boat tonight. Arrived Heinz at 1715 to be shown the already loaded trailer. Dropped my empty picked that one up and arrived Hollyhead at 2000.

The greeting of you are number 148 on the waiting list followed by a you have no chance of the boat tonight it will be 1430 tomorow. A little bit of juggling by the boss and I was put on the Irish ferries 0250 instead of one of my fellow Polish colleagues!

Left Dublin port this morning headed for Thurles. On arrival was told drop trailer over there mate and your done.no unload yippeee.

Boss then calls go home see ya Monday thanks…home now…tired, confussed, still green but enjoyed a somewhat ■■■■■ week. Should get better as it goes along.

Top tip…need to learn my rules for each country and the road signs that go with it LOL

Nice one Liam, glad you had fun…

One point to note is that there are many restrictions on trucks overtaking in mainland Europe. It’s easy to get caught out (you may recognise the voice of experience here :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: ) so take care over this.

All the best for the next one,

Vince

Nice one Liam, enjoyed reading that. Now don’t you go letting others know it isn’t that difficult over the water, we try to keep that a bit of a secret or they will all want to do it. :wink: :smiley:

One other thing regarding something I noticed in your report

Liam:
Stopped off bought my Vignette and strong coffee which seems to be all you can get here

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: There’s no such thing as strong coffee, only weak people. :wink: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Vince

Points taken on board mate…once mt fopar had been pointed out I noticed the signs and just decided better to just run in convoy than take the risk

Neil

Agree mate…it aint easy spent the whole week wondering what next lol. As for coffee first cup I had at the Total garage in Calais made me hyper…but it certainly is a lovely cup!

Once get more chilled will take camera with me

Congratulations, Liam!!

BUT you must keep your eyes open for that little sign with the red truck and the black car …sometimes with a plate underneath giving the times of the ban … lolol
Hey, even the Irish boys have toi obey that road sign!! LOLOL

:smiley: :open_mouth: :stuck_out_tongue:

thanks liam for a enjoyable read.best of luck for your remaining eruopean jaunts.

Well done Liam here’s to many more! Cheers. :wink:

Liam, who are you pulling for?? Tarrants??

Good read Liam, hope it goes better and smoother from now on.

Hauling for Ballinalards mate from Tipperary

Well done Liam. All the best for your future adventures. Keep us informed.

Well done Liam…may it be the first of many…sounds a cushy number mate…by the way…what happened to all that beer you put on the top bunk ? :laughing: :laughing:
have a nice day

Well done mate… You’re braver than me… :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Continental work still scares me… !!! There’s plenty of black stuff to drive on in the UK as far as i’m concerned…

Maybe in a few years, once i’m 100% confident on the bendies and wot not…
I do like the idea of being so far from base tho… :slight_smile:

Luv
Chrisie… :sunglasses:

Just don’t do what I did in Europe… hang a left turn into the nearest lane, right in front of a dutch traffic cop! I think the UK plates and the fact it didn’t go horribly wrong got me off it… but boy did I [zb] my pants when his siren started up a minute later.