First Time Driving A Lorry Again!

This time next week I’ll have driven a truck again for the first time in 3 and a half years! Thanks to Volvo Trucks and Martin Tomlinson who have invited me to this electric event. I’m neither pro nor against electric, we just have to wait and see how it all pans out, and none of us know yet how that will be. But I’m super excited about trying them out and as title suggests it’ll be first time I’ve driven anything bigger than a van in 3 and a half years! Is it like riding a bike? Will it all just come back to me? Also going to get chance to pilot some things I’ve never done before, like a tridem. All in all it should be a fascinating day and give me lots of information as I want to put electric in a CPC course at some point. Have a good evening all

switchlogic:
Is it like riding a bike? Will it all just come back to me?

Yes, in my experience. I’ve had several spells away from driving trucks in my time, the longest being around two years when my children were born and although I wondered the same thing myself, it came back to me as though I had last driven one yesterday.

Good luck Luke!

As Harry above, I had about 2 years out, in my case driving a desk.
In my case I can confirm I was every bit as crap after the gap as before.

Thank you both. Ah that’s a relief as I was worried I’d struggle. Helps I suppose that first time is off road on a track too. And yeah Franglais being a bit crap at it made me worry I’d be even worse :smiley:

My guess would be first electric lorry in ditch !!

I had around ten year away from artics and within twenty mins if being back in one it was like never being away. Sadly :laughing:

dozy:

He could collect all your ginster pie wrappers and tango bottles, on his way to your place for his steak dinner.

dozy:

People in glass houses and all that.

At least Luke doesn’t have a habit of hitting vans with the back of the trailer …

And he doesn’t blame everything and everybody else for his [zb]ups.

dozy:

Cripes, how breathtakingly original

dozy:

That would be a shock. :unamused: :wink: :laughing:

Aren’t you glad I don’t post very often. :blush:

Harry Monk:

switchlogic:
Is it like riding a bike? Will it all just come back to me?

Yes, in my experience. I’ve had several spells away from driving trucks in my time, the longest being around two years when my children were born and although I wondered the same thing myself, it came back to me as though I had last driven one yesterday.

My experience is similar to Harry’s, but my ‘gap’ was about three years, my reason was a hand/arm injury that stubbornly refused to clear up.

With the present technology, I’m skeptical but open minded about electric LGVs, so I will read Luke’s report with interest.

For now, it’s just a big milk float. :smiley:

Really excited to try them. The test by Bob Beech at Broughtons was really interesting. Personally I think we are heading into at least a dual fuel future, possibly more. Plenty of companies anlready are, my old employer for instance Virginia runs a huge number on LNG. But I think the future is probably hydrogen and electric. Electric is perfect for urban work, will actually allow deliveries to take place at times they can’t currently. BOC invented the bonkers Polarstream fridges to cut down noise at night in towns and cities. One thing I’ve not seen mentioned yet is the idea of removeable batteries, arrive in yard, swap over, head out again. I shall ask next week if there is a technical reason that prevents this from being an option.

All the manufacturers are developing hydrogen power too, just electric grabs the headlines currently.

dozy:

Hopefully it won’t be 4 feet deep in water or it’ll be the first lorry to prove that time travel is possible and Back to The Future was a doci drama.

switchlogic:
One thing I’ve not seen mentioned yet is the idea of removeable batteries, arrive in yard, swap over, head out again.

youtube.com/watch?v=9eYLtPSf7PY

Harry Monk:

switchlogic:
One thing I’ve not seen mentioned yet is the idea of removeable batteries, arrive in yard, swap over, head out again.

Interesting. Wonder why none of the big guys are doing it. Or maybe they are and we just don’t hear about it yet

switchlogic:

Harry Monk:

switchlogic:

Interesting. Wonder why none of the big guys are doing it. Or maybe they are and we just don’t hear about it yet

Guessing…
Cost of extra battery sitting around half the time…vs…the time saved in recharging, especially if that is getting shorter now…?
Is the time saved worth the cost?

switchlogic:

Harry Monk:

switchlogic:

I’ve seen fleets of 3.5t electric vans (for example courier firms) but I’ve never seen an electric HGV on the roads or in a yard or at a service etc. Do they exist except for demos? Or are they somewhat theoretical, or being trialled and their numbers could basically be counted on one hand?

hopefully your driving is better than your cpc course wouldnt want any accidents nw

TruckDriverBen:
hopefully your driving is better than your cpc course wouldnt want any accidents nw

Which one were you on? Did you mention your dissatisfaction at the time so I could correct the issue? Apologies

Franglais:

switchlogic:

Harry Monk:

switchlogic:

Guessing…
Cost of extra battery sitting around half the time…vs…the time saved in recharging, especially if that is getting shorter now…?
Is the time saved worth the cost?

Depends really. Our local bus route has gone all electric. To cover what 5 diesel buses did they have 8 electric, and I’d wager a couple of batteries would be cheaper than a couple of vehicles. Great machines though, ride and furnished like coaches

CCE2A03F-2F92-46CC-B873-358F3860850C.jpeg