First time behind the wheel went well!

I got behind the wheel of a class 2 rigid for the very first time yesterday ! Passed my theory and hazard perception on tuesday and got straight on to the training company to book my free on road assessment, they said to come in at 8am wednesday morning. I must admit i was nervous as the biggest thing i have driven is a transit tipper !!. I went for a ten minute spin round the block while the instructor was taking notes to determine how many lessons i would need. The strangest thing for me as well as the obvious size difference was the 8 speed gearbox with the switch that you flick, that will take some getting used to but when i returned to the training centre and asked how i did his reply was " youre the best i’ve had in a long time, you didnt stall it, didnt hit any kerbs and got the hang of the gearbox straight away, i’ll book you in for 4 days with the test on the 4th !" They even asked me if i’d been driving 7.5 tonners to which my reply was “no just transits lol!” I’m all booked up now for 9th oct as i’m off on my hols soon, cant wait to get back behind the wheel although i think i’ll still be as nervous as i was the first time !!

well done rusty! sound like a natural :laughing: , just listing to everything your trainer says and ull be fine, and take your time, the gears are handy enough when you get used to them, enjoy it! best luck mate with your test, we are all here for help! good luck, dave :wink:

cheers dave

crack on mate you sound like youl be fine all the best

rusty919:
I got behind the wheel of a class 2 rigid for the very first time yesterday ! Passed my theory and hazard perception on tuesday and got straight on to the training company to book my free on road assessment, they said to come in at 8am wednesday morning. I must admit i was nervous as the biggest thing i have driven is a transit tipper !!. I went for a ten minute spin round the block while the instructor was taking notes to determine how many lessons i would need. The strangest thing for me as well as the obvious size difference was the 8 speed gearbox with the switch that you flick, that will take some getting used to but when i returned to the training centre and asked how i did his reply was " youre the best i’ve had in a long time, you didnt stall it, didnt hit any kerbs and got the hang of the gearbox straight away, i’ll book you in for 4 days with the test on the 4th !" They even asked me if i’d been driving 7.5 tonners to which my reply was “no just transits lol!” I’m all booked up now for 9th oct as i’m off on my hols soon, cant wait to get back behind the wheel although i think i’ll still be as nervous as i was the first time !!

Good Luck :wink: