First time assessment next week for a first driving job

Heya,

After I rage-quit my full time warehouse job yesterday I signed up with a couple of agencies right after I came home from work. Today one of them called me and offered me a job starting a week from now (I have to give a week’s notice at my current job so I can’t just leave tomorrow). This is going to be a class 2 job, I did tell them I have 0 commercial driving experience and they didn’t seem to be bothered by it as I’ve had my license for a few months now - almost 6.

Either way, there is going to be an assessment on my first day which makes me nervous already. They said there would be someone with me on throughout said first day but I’m still unsure what to expect. The client is a large company so I doubt they will commit a manager/transport manager for a day out on the road, I’m thinking they’ll send one of their regular full-time drivers to come along?

My questions are: 1) what to bring with me. This is my list so far:

1. Safety boots
  2. Gloves
  3. Hi-viz vest
  4. Paperwork (license, dcpc, driver’s card)
  5. Pen and paper
  6. SatNav + cable etc.
  7. Flashlight (I will be on nights)
  8. Phone

Anything else…?

and 2) What might I expect? I really dislike, even hate, when someone is closely observing my work and basically judging me - makes me self-conscious and I’m likely to make mistakes I wouldn’t make if I were on my own…I’m running a scenario through my head - I would start with a vehicle check and that’s about all I know…I don’t know how to operate a tail-lift or even the straps on a curtain-sider, should I admit this to the assessor and ask for instructions or try to fumble my way to victory? I’m leaning towards being honest although this has rarely worked in my favor in the past.

Anyways, if anyone could offer some insight into a typical class 2 assessment - anyone who did it for the first time, I’d be happy to read about your own experience - good or bad.

Tell them all that you have written here. Explain you are new and ask for advice before you start. And make sure you do a full walkround check. Ask for their defect book/form (they will have one) this lists all the stuff to check. Ask assessor for a demo of how all the kit works (engine brake, gearbox, lights, wipers etc.).

Take is slow. Slow in corners. Much slower than you think is needed. Slow on roundabouts. Slow when reversing. They won’t be looking for perfection - just a safe drive. It’s not the driving test, and your attidude will be just as important as your driving.

When you have to reverse swing it around in the yard rather than dreaming about going in blindside. Get out and check on the reverse unless it’s very easy. If you ■■■■ it up take it forward and start again. I’ll repeat again - don’t try and blindside it in. With no experience you will end up having him shout stop before you take something out.

Most important thing - butter up the assessor. Ask him about himself. Drivers love to tell you all about their ‘impressive’ driving history. Act impressed - they love this. Get chatting before you get in the cab. I’ve had the paperwork filled out before we have driven before with one assessor.

Edit - just seen class 2. My comments on reversing still stand. Swing it around so you can have your head out the window guiding it in.

sammym:
Tell them all that you have written here. Explain you are new and ask for advice before you start. And make sure you do a full walkround check. Ask for their defect book/form (they will have one) this lists all the stuff to check. Ask assessor for a demo of how all the kit works (engine brake, gearbox, lights, wipers etc.).

Take is slow. Slow in corners. Much slower than you think is needed. Slow on roundabouts. Slow when reversing. They won’t be looking for perfection - just a safe drive. It’s not the driving test, and your attidude will be just as important as your driving.

When you have to reverse swing it around in the yard rather than dreaming about going in blindside. Get out and check on the reverse unless it’s very easy. If you ■■■■ it up take it forward and start again. I’ll repeat again - don’t try and blindside it in. With no experience you will end up having him shout stop before you take something out.

Most important thing - butter up the assessor. Ask him about himself. Drivers love to tell you all about their ‘impressive’ driving history. Act impressed - they love this. Get chatting before you get in the cab. I’ve had the paperwork filled out before we have driven before with one assessor.

Edit - just seen class 2. My comments on reversing still stand. Swing it around so you can have your head out the window guiding it in.

Thanks a lot. Much appreciated. One part I don’t get, however - “When you have to reverse swing it around in the yard rather than dreaming about going in blindside.” Do you mean I should ask to get some reverse practice in the yard before we leave?

Don’t be nervous, a driving assessment is not a driving test, you’ve got that hard bit out of the way already. They’re not there to catch you out.

Sent from my FRD-L09 using Tapatalk

If you have the option to turn the truck around and reverse it in on the drivers side then choose that rather than try to reverse in on the passenger side

ETS:
Thanks a lot. Much appreciated. One part I don’t get, however - “When you have to reverse swing it around in the yard rather than dreaming about going in blindside.” Do you mean I should ask to get some reverse practice in the yard before we leave?

ROG has pretty much covered it.

It’s more of a drama with artics - as if you go the other way you can’t see anything (which is why they call it a blindside). But it’s still easier if you are not experienced to go in the same with in a rigid.

The chances of you having to blindside it in a rigid are tiny if they run class 1 as well. Just tell the assessor you are swinging it around so you can reverse from your good side.

One final tip. Assuming it’s a bay or normal parking space. Do the hard work before you put the truck in reverse. Get close to the bay and then full lock (as much as possible) away. Then when the back of the wagon is just passed the bay straighten it out. Then head out of the window and as much lock as needed. Nice and simple. If you get it wrong then simply pull foward and start again.

sammym:

ETS:

ROG has pretty much covered it.

It’s more of a drama with artics - as if you go the other way you can’t see anything (which is why they call it a blindside). But it’s still easier if you are not experienced to go in the same with in a rigid.

The chances of you having to blindside it in a rigid are tiny if they run class 1 as well. Just tell the assessor you are swinging it around so you can reverse from your good side.

One final tip. Assuming it’s a bay or normal parking space. Do the hard work before you put the truck in reverse. Get close to the bay and then full lock (as much as possible) away. Then when the back of the wagon is just passed the bay straighten it out. Then head out of the window and as much lock as needed. Nice and simple. If you get it wrong then simply pull foward and start again.

I too am a newbie and have an Assessment drive on Tuesday (first ever)…do people fail these Assessments?

Does it have to be something drastic for this to happen, or will taking 3 or 4 shunts on a reverse ensure it is game over…how strict are these things?

I turned up at my first (Agency) job with steel toe cap boots and a satnav. Urban multi drop so no drama.
This was only last week :smiley:
since then I´ve managed to “gather” safety glasses, nice pair of gloves, and some ear plugs :smiley:

If you´re heading for any type of construction site you WILL need a hard hat. There may be one lying about in the wagon.The company should provide you with this and any other PPE that you need, though.

I would suggest you take note of the vehicle height and if you aren’t sure before you leave the yard, ask. The examiner might take you near a bridge and ask you the height of the vehicle.

When you’re travelling along, take note of the speed limits. I’ve known driving assessors to suddenly interrupt any chatter and ask the speed limit of the road you’re on.

Each place is different but I’ve known someone to fail an assessment for not knowing their height or speed limit of the road they were on during the drive.

If you have a shift lined up for straight after the assessment, relax - If you fail, it will ruin their day and have to rejuggle shifts around to get the one allocated to you covered - It will not be in their interest to fail you unless you really screw up badly

Make sure you ask the assessor how the tail lift works and to demonstrate it to you - Some slide under, some fold and some fold then lift straight up.
I would ask how their breakdown procedure works too.