First Shift tomorrow

Got my first shift tomorrow on the Containers…

bricking it.

Good luck buddy.
I Wish I could get my foot in the blooming door! :slight_smile:

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Keep calm, take it slow, don’t let anyone push you faster or further than you’re comfortable with. Concentrate, think and remember everything you’ve learned, but also be aware that there are many things you weren’t taught and need to know. These are your ‘known unknowns’ that you can keep an eye out for and learn as you go. Unfortunately there are also your unknown unknowns, commonly apparent as ‘mistakes’. Keep your fingers crossed that they are near misses and you can learn from them…

Ask for help whenever you need it - there’s no shame in it, and some drivers will respect you all the more for it (I know I would). Trucks are big, and there’s a lot you can’t see so an extra pair of eyes can be a godsend in tight spaces.

Don’t be afraid to say ‘no’ if you’re not confident. Better that people think you’re a fool than to crash into something and remove all doubt.

But above all, try to enjoy yourself. Some of it will be terrifying, but there should be some fun in it too - if there isn’t then you’re probably not in the right job.

Good luck! :slight_smile:

Well done on getting a start,most important thing Don’t Rush about to impress anyone it will bite you,take your time and double check everything check the height of the box get a good atlas with bridge heights on it and plan a route accordingly.
If your picking a sealed box up be careful as you might not know what’s in it (stable or not).
Not done boxes but enough lads on here have to give you the heads up and good luck tomorrow

As above and do not let them rush you through your vehicle checks, you’ll be regretting it the second you get pulled!
It’s your licence and it will be your points and fine, so don’t take anything for granted…

Best of luck! :smiley:

I remember my first day out on my own, it is very daunting I’ll say that! This time tomorrow you will either love it or hate it, I hope it’s the first one.

Only advice I can give is when your at the port loading, make sure the doors are at the rear of the trailer :wink:

Best of luck, keep it the right way up mate

Thanks for all the advice,

Hopefully there will be few people are around tomorrow if i need any help.

hoping and praying all goes well tomorrow.

but thanks for everyone’s help over the last few months especially John (LGV Trainer)

Get a good satnav Lad. I bought myself tomtom 950 for 30 quid and installed my own truck software but i got garmin dezl 770 lmt which is practically brand new didn’t even touched it yet. Good luck

Good luck!
Take it slow and steady.

“If in doubt, bail out!”

Thanks for all the advice guys very much appreciated.

Well 3 days in and i have to say i’m loving it, its far better than i ever imagined i have enjoyed every minute so far even though my reversing is pants but as each day goes by there is a slight improvement albeit very slight.

No incidences to report apart from me trying to squeeze through the tunnel tolls in a car lane with a 40ft container on the back and the fella frantically running out the office waving his hands for me to stop.

The agency and the company have been supportive and outstanding in everyday and tomorrow i get to drive their new 2016 merc.

There are a lot of good guys out there when you explain your new they cannot do enough to help and to them they have my gratitude.

roll on tomorrow 6am start tomorrow, but now loving it and enjoying it…

Thanks

Glad to hear it! Keep us updated mate!

Just remember that the thought “I’ve got this” is usually followed swiftly by an expensive sounding crunch! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Good for you pal, keep playing the Newbie card by asking questions… :smiley:

wigan_lad:
Thanks for all the advice guys very much appreciated.

Well 3 days in and i have to say i’m loving it, its far better than i ever imagined i have enjoyed every minute so far even though my reversing is pants but as each day goes by there is a slight improvement albeit very slight.

No incidences to report apart from me trying to squeeze through the tunnel tolls in a car lane with a 40ft container on the back and the fella frantically running out the office waving his hands for me to stop.

The agency and the company have been supportive and outstanding in everyday and tomorrow i get to drive their new 2016 merc.

There are a lot of good guys out there when you explain your new they cannot do enough to help and to them they have my gratitude.

roll on tomorrow 6am start tomorrow, but now loving it and enjoying it…

Thanks

I did exactly the same,thought I could use any booth as I had a tunnel tag :blush: ,I did get through,squashed his money basket a bit though :smiley:

3 Months on…

Still loving and enjoying the driving, had loads of experience driving different trucks and trailers …

Reversing has coming along nicely and no longer is pants but acceptable I still struggle when it comes to reversing in between two tightly squeezed parked artics but i get there in the end.

Come across a few newbies trying to reverse onto bays etc… which bring back memories but always get out and assist.

no work tomorrow i just hope the agency stuff has not all dried up…

Cheers for the update, glad you’re enjoying it! :smiley:

I like the way you say " coming along nicely" as to me it says you respect the fact it’s all about experience and practice…
I’m still cocking it up after 18 months! :open_mouth:
Do I give a FrenchConnection? Do I …
I like to kid myself that I’m airing on the side of caution, and that’s why I’m taking a shunt! :smiley:
I’m also pretty sure that I can’t get sacked for being careful… :wink:

Nice one, now you have some experience and enjoy the box jockey style it could be worth applying for some full time positions with container hauliers in your area.

Course the drop in hourly rate may come as a surprise but the regular paycheck can negate this a little.

Unless you enjoy the flexibility of limping and work should pick up in the new year.