first medical.

hi,i have my first medical in febuary,i feel relatively fit but is there anything i can do to be sure of a pass? and what exactly do they look for in a medical?the only thing i am slightly worried about is my ■■■■ eyesight,up until a few months ago i could read an a-z in near blackness and now i struggle to read my large print map book in broad daylight,long site is fine but short sight is pish. thanks. rich.

Welcome to the over-45’s club! :smiley:

Couple of common sense things; best not to have any alcohol for a couple of days previous, and same goes for big sugar hits as the doc will do a urine test.

As for the eyesight; unless you’re lucky that self-same thing comes to all of us at your age or thereabouts. You’ll probably get by with off-the-shelf reading glasses for a while, but if you’re minded towards visiting an optician it might be no bad thing. If you do go down the off-the shelf route, I suggest you buy a couple of cheap pairs for map-reading, and it helps if they’re a touch stronger than you’d use for reading a book in normal daylight. Once you’ve got 'em, remember to allow a few seconds after using them, and blink a few times, to let your eyes adjust before driving off again.

Glad i am not the only one.

cheers sidevalve,the sugar thing is interesting and thinking about it makes sense,i do have a sweet tooth around this time of year but will calm down by february,and your probably right re.optician,think ill get one booked.cheers.

and thanks for the welcome to the 45s club…

Make sure you shop around when you book your medical,prices do vary a fair bit and the local gp is usually the most expensive.

cheers suedehead,started looking about already got it around the 60 quid mark at the mo.i did hear someone mention there was a docter in a caravan in a layby on the 59 york bound road charging 55.made me chuckle…

alliance:
cheers suedehead,started looking about already got it around the 60 quid mark at the mo.i did hear someone mention there was a docter in a caravan in a layby on the 59 york bound road charging 55.made me chuckle…

Don’t know about “Doctor in a layby” … i did my medical Nov. this year (2012) with Tockwith Training @ Hessay ( on A59 going into York ) £58 inc vat. Doc. is based @ Beverley ( E. Yorks ) … think they only do them certain Fridays … easy to phone & check … took about 20 mins. My GP wanted £120 + vat :unamused:
Think they are listed in cheap medicals
Ps. welcome to the OAP truckers :laughing: Deffo recomend getting checked at optician

cheers rustler,great bit of info.just what im after,ill get straight onto it…just getting a bit of grief off the missus at the moment,she claims that she has been telling me for months about going to the optician, then complete strangers give the same advice and apparently i get straight on to it. she must be imagining things…

Suedehead:
Make sure you shop around when you book your medical,prices do vary a fair bit and the local gp is usually the most expensive.

+1.

My GP wants £130. Got it for half of that online, and I had to travel to North Leeds, but even after factoring in that cost, I still saved around £60.

Better in my pocket…

Ken.

You are still young but I would advise getting to your appointment in plenty of time so that you can relax a little, I had to run from the truck to the surgery for my first medical (years ago now) and my blood pressure was sky high! :blush:

Pete.

Go to gettingamedical, they do them at loads of places and cost £40. They will even ask you to take a urine sample, only takes about 10minutes flat.

I was border line on my last medical on the reading charts…but he passed me, i did go to an opticians, i got 3 pairs for 180 quid…one for reading …tv etc, second pair clear lenses for driving and italian design sun glasses - driving glasses…its amazing how much better i could see the back of a 40ft trailer when backing on a bay…we just take it for granted or think ill look a right twot in these…better than killing some poor person through neglect.Welcome to the old gits driving club… :sunglasses:.

windrush:
You are still young but I would advise getting to your appointment in plenty of time so that you can relax a little, I had to run from the truck to the surgery for my first medical (years ago now) and my blood pressure was sky high! :blush:

Pete.

lol, brilliant pete

cheers shytalk,optician seems to be the common thread on this subject,getting on to it. rich.

The doctor in a layby may sound daft lol, but I used Doctorsonwheels.co.uk. £50 odd quid for a Saturday appointment, cheaper in the week and they visit truckstops in a mobile home thing. Couldn’t fault them 1 bit. In and out in 20mins ish. Google them.

Hiya i did the doctor on wheels…a motorhome in a layby half a mile from the pops cafe.
on the specs side i went into tesco, i got a tube of suntan lotion which i could’nt read the small print.i got into the readers glasses and tried on a few pair untill i was happy with the glasses…i do use the optition but i,am retired now. i think the option always goes a little on the strong side as i,ve herd many drivers say their new specs strain their eyes alot at first.
my optition asked where i,d got my glasses from and i told her… she seemed quite happy
and never said i,d made a mistake.
good luck all round.
John

cheers fileep/john,much appreciated…rich

Get your blood pressure checked early as if it high on the day of medical you FAIL. If it high you have time to
lower it before medical you pass :smiley:

hi,i have my first medical in febuary,i feel relatively fit but is there anything i can do to be sure of a pass?

Breath. :smiley: