First Lesson, First Day; Category C

Hi All Wannabe and Newbie Drivers,

For anyone who is interested in reading a little monologue of my thoughts out loud then please continue.

So, after 3 months of waiting I finally had the chance to get into a lorry; on the drivers side! :smiley:

I was very surprised how quickly things came to me, once I had reduced my heart beat a little. I had a fear that the shear difference in size between my road car and this mini-beast was going to be massively daunting.

My training is being carried out at P B Training in Bristol. My trainer is Mike.

First of all I am delighted with how professional the whole process has been with these guys and I strongly recommend them.

So after a walk-around check (and I had Rog’s notes in my mind!) we got in the cab and got on our way after a few laps of the industrial estate.

Once we got on the open road I was consciously thinking MIRRORS MIRRORS MIRRORS, & PLANNING AHEAD. And even though I was thinking this, Mike was still picking me up on it. One of Rog’s tips is to keep to the white line or even go on it (in the middle of the road) and this I did. It is a great tip, I did not hit one kerb throughout the day.

There is not really much more to add to be honest. BUT I will throw in a couple of tips, or rather repeat what the PRO’s on here have already said.

KEEP HANDS ON THE STEERING WHEEL; I have developed a bad habit over the years of keeping my hand on the gear stick anticipating the next gear change. DONT DO THIS. Change gear, then left hand back on the wheel.

MIRRORS and BLINDSPOTS; Occasionally Mike would pick me up on not checking my BLINDSPOT when pulling away having stopped.

HAVE PATIENCE AND ALLOW LOTS OF TIME; In the early stages don’t try to drive to the speed limit, take your time and do things gradually. I was trying to get ahead of myself at the start of the day and Mike said “You’ve got no deliveries today son, why are you rushing? Give yourself lots of time, and KEEP CHECKING THOSE MIRRORS and HAND OFF THE GEAR!”

I have not yet done the reverse exercise, that is tomorrow. But I am feeling very confident right now, especially when I felt; 4 days then a test? How can people do this? It is more than possible :smiley:

HAVE FAITH IN YOURSELF AND YOUR INSTRUCTOR.

Good luck all

James

Congrats on your first day without hitting a Kerb.

I start my training on Thursday but I have had 10 years of driving buses so I should be ok with size and everything (I hope)
Anyone have more tips for use just starting.

Well done James.
Other tips? Relax. Give yourself time. Crawl up to hazards. Approaching roundabouts is a common issue for people as you are trying to manage mirrors, gears as well as judging traffic on or approaching the roundabout from other exits. The simple solution is to brake in plenty of time and crawl up to it in a low gear so you have time to calmly look everywhere.

Hi gents
As already said take your time give yourself enough room if it means taking 2 lanes at a roundabout so be it use them.
Dont rush up to something use the space provided once its gone you could leave yourself in a pickle, if you keep traffic waiting behind you when you turn it cant be helped you have to do what you have to.
Had it today in grimsby went down a 1 way street the service yard was on the left, hazards on took a few mins to blind side the trailer in and kept a whole raod waiting but dont think "oops cars coming got to hurry " thats when accidents happen

Good luck tomorrow

Jeff.

Eat My BB:
Congrats on your first day without hitting a Kerb.

I start my training on Thursday but I have had 10 years of driving buses so I should be ok with size and everything (I hope)
Anyone have more tips for use just starting.

Thanks Eat My BB!!! And good luck to you for Thursday :smiley:

th2013:
Well done James. Other tips? Relax. Give yourself time. Crawl up to hazards. Approaching roundabouts is a common issue for people as you are trying to manage mirrors, gears as well as judging traffic on or approaching the roundabout from other exits. The simple solution is to brake in plenty of time and crawl up to it in a low gear so you have time to calmly look everywhere.

Thanks th2013… RELAX is excellent advice, and yes roundabouts have been something I have had to approach differently compared to the car

Daytrunker:
Hi gents
As already said take your time give yourself enough room if it means taking 2 lanes at a roundabout so be it use them.
Dont rush up to something use the space provided once its gone you could leave yourself in a pickle, if you keep traffic waiting behind you when you turn it cant be helped you have to do what you have to.
Had it today in grimsby went down a 1 way street the service yard was on the left, hazards on took a few mins to blind side the trailer in and kept a whole raod waiting but dont think "oops cars coming got to hurry " thats when accidents happen

Good luck tomorrow

Jeff.

Thanks Jeff. I am realising the best approach is stay completely calm, and not to worry about the moods of other road users. My instructor today kept telling me to “stop worrying about those behind you; they are only going to be a few minutes delayed because you are being cautious and safe”

th2013:
Well done James.
Other tips? Relax. Give yourself time. Crawl up to hazards. Approaching roundabouts is a common issue for people as you are trying to manage mirrors, gears as well as judging traffic on or approaching the roundabout from other exits. The simple solution is to brake in plenty of time and crawl up to it in a low gear so you have time to calmly look everywhere.

Just be careful with crawling up to round abouts. Of course you must slow down but on approach but try reading the round about adjusting your speed accordingly trying to look for a gap so you don’t have to stop.

Paul :smiley: