First Job

So managed to land my first job after passing last month,
Full time not through a agency for aggregate industries
Any one work for these guys as a tipper driver could pass one any last minute advice,
Will be trained up for a week with another driver who I have met and seems a good guy,
I know a few drivers who think I’m crazy for doing tipper work , is it really that bad ?
I had talks and safety seems high priority which is good at the moment looking forward to Monday to get started but all the bad talk about tipper work does put some dowt in the back of your head,
Cheers

i drove tippers for 25 years Dave,artics,and rigids,and loved it mostly! what area/quarry are you working out of?

Hi mate I will be working from bardon hill quarry
Cheers

Nothing wrong with tipper work. Don’t be pressured to rush and make sure you’re on solid, level ground before tipping.

All the best with it.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Make sure you wear a string vest, and beat the crap out of your missus. You will fit in just fine.

ha ha just put that to the wife she did not seem to keen on the idea for some reason

eagerbeaver:
Make sure you wear a string vest, and beat the crap out of your missus. You will fit in just fine.

Got refused a load in a quarry last week because of this.Apparently string vests and shorts does not class as PPE.

And in the interests of equality does this spouse bashing theory work the other way? Only asking as some of the female tipper drivers up my neck of the woods look like they’d be able to bench press most of their male counterparts.

eagerbeaver:

I tried that once! I had such sore ■■■■■■■ from all of the chafing! :cry:

Just_Dave:
Cheers

you’ll be fine in there mate :slight_smile: up until 6 years ago i was working out of Croft,but used to run into Bardon Hill on occasion.decent set of lads in there i think.

Just_Dave:
Cheers

Those aggregates in the back of your tipper lorry are 600 million years old, as Bardon Hill is an extinct Volcano formed way before the dinosaurs or the Atlantic Ocean existed. At 278 metres above sea level, it’s the highest point in Leicestershire.

From what I’ve seen tipper drivers are the same as skip drivers, foot to the floor from the time you start until you finish and take no prisoners :open_mouth:

Got to admit I found today hard at times, not much rushing about was quite relaxed but lots to take in,
The quarry , using the truck and all the paperwork that comes with it, dealing with the different ways to tip per job,
Hoping I can get the hand of it all fast as feeling a bit overwhelmed tonight

Cheers

Glad it went OK pal! :smiley:
The first day is bound to be the worst, as in a lot to take in…
It can only get easier from here, so best of luck tomorrow!

wrighty1:
From what I’ve seen tipper drivers are the same as skip drivers, foot to the floor from the time you start until you finish and take no prisoners :open_mouth:

I agree with this 100%!

‘‘Drive it like you stole it’’ comes to mind

First week done , ups and downs really in my head during the week, not that I did anything wrong but myself questioning if I was cut out for it, but ended on a high,
On my own next week that I feel will be loads better without that watch full eye judging everything you do,

Not a bad job really and I’ve not seen any of this foot down rushing around I’ve heard so much about but that maybe because I’ve only been on the 4 wheeler and the 6 wheeler , guy training me did say it’s a rat race on the 8 wheelers
but all in all quite happy, not going to be the best paid job out there but I was always prepared for that for a year or so being a new pass,

Cheers

Just_Dave:
First week done , ups and downs really in my head during the week, not that I did anything wrong but myself questioning if I was cut out for it, but ended on a high,
On my own next week that I feel will be loads better without that watch full eye judging everything you do,

Not a bad job really and I’ve not seen any of this foot down rushing around I’ve heard so much about but that maybe because I’ve only been on the 4 wheeler and the 6 wheeler , guy training me did say it’s a rat race on the 8 wheelers
but all in all quite happy, not going to be the best paid job out there but I was always prepared for that for a year or so being a new pass,

Cheers

Hang in there everything will fall in to place, I’m at it myself, some days are flat out others are a doodle. Keep your wits about you and you’ll be fine. Took me a few weeks to get the hang off it

so 3 weeks in , got to say i love the job…well most of the time
My only gripe is some of the tarmac workers, most are a good bunch of guys but some are a real ■■■■■■■■■■
Found my feet quite nicely and confidence is sky high now,
My boss has given me quite strict instructions of dos and don’ts and when i stand by the bosses rules against the workers request boy do they moan, really hate this as were all just doing our job right?

Maybe im just being all new a cautious but if its going to potentially cause damage to the truck or a kerb etc they can f off lol

just wish people were more understanding/friendly the world would be a better place!
Must say they most i meet are great guys just seems like the odd ones, guess thats the same no matter what you do
Cheers

Just_Dave:
so 3 weeks in , got to say i love the job…well most of the time
My only gripe is some of the tarmac workers, most are a good bunch of guys but some are a real [zb],
Found my feet quite nicely and confidence is sky high now,
My boss has given me quite strict instructions of dos and don’ts and when i stand by the bosses rules against the workers request boy do they moan, really hate this as were all just doing our job right?

Maybe im just being all new a cautious but if its going to potentially cause damage to the truck or a kerb etc they can f off lol

just wish people were more understanding/friendly the world would be a better place!
Must say they most i meet are great guys just seems like the odd ones, guess thats the same no matter what you do
Cheers

100% agree! 95% of the places I go and people I meet at said delivered are friendly chatty, helpful etc. the other 5% are a pain in the a**e, just got to take them with a pinch of salt and not let it ruin your day etc.