First job after my licences

As a newbie class 1 driver, I had more chance getting the opportunity to punch Chris Evans in the face than get straight into a class 1 job with no experience.

I have no experience as a class 2 either, lve managed to find a place willing to let me try.

I’m going to be a driver’s mate for next week in a 7.5 tonne to learn their procedures etc, then the week after, I get the class 2 myself and then hopefully next month I get moved up into class 1.

Gotta start somewhere fella,you can’t expect to join the elite club of class one drivers straight away! :smiley:

As above, but don’t believe you will just be the drivers mate for the first week…
If it was me, I’d be wanting that drivers seat by the second day, as it builds up your experience and confidence, as well as showing your new employer that your keener than the stuff that’s the same colour as the few strands of wispy hair left on that lemon’s head.

And if you see Chris, give him a punch from me! :smiley:

P.S. Sounds like you possibly have a good employer, as they are easing you in gently…

They took on another newbie a few weeks ago who’s in the same boat as me, when I get his class 2 Bedford rascal, he then gets moved into class 1.
There’s a £500 insurance excess we have to sign, but that’s to be expected. The company has a fleet of about 80 lorries, all a mixed bag of makes etc, and the work do is pallets, containers and general haulage. So at least I should learn something.

I shall be counting down the seconds until I’m out of the van. :grimacing:

PandyDandy:
I’m going to be a driver’s mate for next week in a 7.5 tonne to learn their procedures etc, then the week after, I get the class 2 myself and then hopefully next month I get moved up into class 1.

Congrats on the job! Gotta start some where…

However, personally i can’t see them keeping you as a drivers mate for a whole week when you’re a fully qual’d Class 2 and Class 1 driver…i just cant. I guess it depends how they’re paying you (by no means am i asking your wages) ,but if they are paying you a driver wage but having you sit in the passenger seat…when they could have another set of wheels rolling… you don’t get experience by watching, you get it by being thrown in the deep end and learning… odd one that…reckon they’ll have you driving after a couple days…

Sam

PandyDandy:
There’s a £500 insurance excess we have to sign, but that’s to be expected.

It’s not fella,it’s really not!
But if your happy with it then crack on.

xichrisxi:

I must admit… Did seem odd reading about that…not something i’ve heard of…although maybe the company is salvaging something from someone elses pocket rather than their own…wouldn’t be the first time that’s happened eh!

xichrisxi:

PandyDandy:

I assumed it’s because the excess is higher for the company, because of the lack of experience and why most places say “6-12 months minimum experience”

I’m hoping I never have an accident…

isnt there a higher premium for drivers under 25?

PandyDandy:

xichrisxi:

PandyDandy:

I assumed it’s because the excess is higher for the company, because of the lack of experience and why most places say “6-12 months minimum experience”

I’m hoping I never have an accident…

That’s the way I would take it. As someone who passed hazard perception this morning and hoping to start learning in a few weeks after My theory if that’s what it takes to get my first job I will
take it. It not ideal but if it’s that or not get the job I will take ut. Then get some experience and look for another job without

Still in the class 2, but shouldn’t be long until I’m in a proper wagon.
I wish I could spill the beans about the place I’m working… :neutral_face: but I can’t and won’t, not yet anyway. (I’ll never mention the name)

Well you could spill the beans just not mention the name [emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PandyDandy:
As a newbie class 1 driver, I had more chance getting the opportunity to punch Chris Evans in the face than get straight into a class 1 job with no experience.

I have no experience as a class 2 either, lve managed to find a place willing to let me try.

Hello mate,

Just to let you know, I had no experience on either class 2’s or 1’s this time last year. But I started with a company doing Class 2 18t night trunks, worked there for 8 months, and now finished my first week on Class 1’s for a new employer. The way I managed to get an opportunity was by being honest at the interviews, I straight up told them I have no experience, but am eager to learn as much as I can and would be willing to work a couple weeks for free to prove myself, and take the shifts that the experienced lads didn’t want. I think honesty really is the best policy and is what seemed to work for me, luckily my boss is very down to earth and not only gave me a chance but refused to let me do it for free :slight_smile: Wish you all the best mate, at one point I thought how the hell can I put my C+E to use with no experience, but with a little bit of searching and ringing around I managed to hit the nail on the head. Im working direct, not through agency, so maybe try that method?..Now, just to try and get the hang of reversing the thing!

Good luck! :slight_smile:

chainmailguy:
isnt there a higher premium for drivers under 25?

Where I work I was told that the insurance doesn’t cost any more for under 25s, they had no issue with me being under 25. In fact I’ve had quite a few phone calls from places knowing I’m a newbie and nobody has once even mentioned anything about age.

Small update, I’ve had my first bump last week. :cry:
I hit a parked car whilst reversing, when trying to get into a ‘building site’

Things have also taken a turn for the worse as for reasons out of my control, it looks like I won’t be in the class 1 for another 5-6 months.

55-60 hours a week in class 2, for about 18k a year… Gotta love Hull. :neutral_face:

PandyDandy:
55-60 hours a week in class 2, for about 18k a year… Gotta love Hull. :neutral_face:

Jesus! :open_mouth:

That’s enough to make a grown man cry.

My friend was looking for a class 1 driver, might even still be looking! I was going to go but I’m.quite settled where I am, it’s decent money for up here!!

F-reds:

PandyDandy:

Jesus! :open_mouth:

That’s enough to make a grown man cry.

:open_mouth: that’s poor