First full time job advice!

Passed my C+E test 3 weeks ago and i’ve landed myself my first full time trucking job… No more agency! [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND SMILING EYES] Its fridge work in mainland uk; i’ve never been near a fridge in my life… I’m getting the ferry from Northern Ireland on Sunday and returning the following Friday. It’s safe to say i’m ■■■■■■■■ myself but we all have to start somewhere. [THUMBS UP SIGN] Have any of you guys got any advice or tips for me? I’m going to buy myself a cooker to cook my own meals and a tv to pass the time, any other suggestions are welcome!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

If you ain’t got a cab fridge get a power cool box. Ran mine all day and switched it off at night and me butter was still wellard. Decent map try not to cook fatty stuff it’ll stink the cab out. If it’s dry cook outside. Small camping table for a 5er will do.

Your employer should have a rear door lock to secure the load while parked up at anytime. At least with a fridge ,you can park anywhere and not worry about curtains being cut if you had a Taut liner trailer .
Lidl and Also do some good quality tinned meals and add noodles or tinned spuds. I buy their multi packs of drinking water.
Camping shops sell those little gas cookers with blue cartridges.
Snooper Lgv sat navs have a TV built in.
Foam ear plugs maybe useful if sleeping in a noisy layby.
Baby wipes are handy to have a wash if no shower .
Sterile hand gel and Wilkinson sell anti bacteria wipes for cleaning the steering wheel and cab.
Avoid over filling the cab with stuff not needed.
It will take half a day to empty it and a trailer attached to your car.
Keep er lit and craic on.

DavidS86:
Passed my C+E test 3 weeks ago and i’ve landed myself my first full time trucking job… No more agency! [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND SMILING EYES] Its fridge work in mainland uk; i’ve never been near a fridge in my life… I’m getting the ferry from Northern Ireland on Sunday and returning the following Friday. It’s safe to say i’m ■■■■■■■■ myself but we all have to start somewhere. [THUMBS UP SIGN] Have any of you guys got any advice or tips for me? I’m going to buy myself a cooker to cook my own meals and a tv to pass the time, any other suggestions are welcome!

David, congratulations with new job! As I can understand, you’re working for NI company? I received my DQC card yesterday and today I’m knocking company doors and filling up some work forms. In one I will have assessment drive tonight at 01.00 o’clock, bit scared because never drive at night. So if I may ask, what hourly rate you are on? Just to know how much will newly qualified driver will count around here for class 1. Sorry, I can’t help you with any advice. Thanks.

ricelis:

DavidS86:

David, congratulations with new job! As I can understand, you’re working for NI company? I received my DQC card yesterday and today I’m knocking company doors and filling up some work forms. In one I will have assessment drive tonight at 01.00 o’clock, bit scared because never drive at night. So if I may ask, what hourly rate you are on? Just to know how much will newly qualified driver will count around here for class 1. Sorry, I can’t help you with any advice. Thanks.

Good luck matey… Just try and relax! :slight_smile: I’m not sure about the hourly rate but i’ll be clearing around £550 with per week so i’m happy with that to be honest :slight_smile:

Going by my instructor most drivers over here in NI are on around £8 per hour and if you get more than that you’re doing well apparently. I’d say the likes of asda etc would prob pay more around £9-10 per hour. I hope this helps :slight_smile:

DavidS86:
Going by my instructor most drivers over here in NI are on around £8 per hour and if you get more than that you’re doing well apparently. I’d say the likes of asda etc would prob pay more around £9-10 per hour. I hope this helps :slight_smile:

Thanks for info, mate. Not to bad for firsttimers. Lets see how it goes tonight.
And then, if all good, let see what they can offer to me. :wink:

toby1234abc:
Your employer should have a rear door lock to secure the load while parked up at anytime. At least with a fridge ,you can park anywhere and not worry about curtains being cut if you had a Taut liner trailer .
Lidl and Also do some good quality tinned meals and add noodles or tinned spuds. I buy their multi packs of drinking water.
Camping shops sell those little gas cookers with blue cartridges.
Snooper Lgv sat navs have a TV built in.
Foam ear plugs maybe useful if sleeping in a noisy layby.
Baby wipes are handy to have a wash if no shower .
Sterile hand gel and Wilkinson sell anti bacteria wipes for cleaning the steering wheel and cab.
Avoid over filling the cab with stuff not needed.
It will take half a day to empty it and a trailer attached to your car.
Keep er lit and craic on.

Thanks Toby! Nervious as hell but looking forward to it at the same time