First ever Class 1 interview and driving assessment

I’ve been an agency driver for almost 2 years by choice. Happened to see and apply for an advert for an ad hoc/casual Class 1 driver yesterday, which I thought might suit me. With virtually zero Class 1 experience - I mean if I got in one tomorrow, I would count it as my first day - I have only gone and got an interview and driving assessment later this week. Yikes! Must brush up on weekly rest regulations and BLACK and KCALB and not mix them up :laughing:

Good luck!

Does that mean a cleaner job too? Or am I wrong to think you are in a mucky job now?

good luck if you need any refresher just shout on here and im sure someone will help

There is no hiding from the fact that the real-world reversing is often the main issue for those who have passed the test and want to start a job.
Of course coupling and uncoupling is important too. If you get that wrong you can have a runaway trailer, a trailer dropped without legs down or suzies torn off, things like that.

I had faith in you two years ago, I have faith in you now.
You know you can do it.
Was it really two years ago? :open_mouth:

30 years class 1, got assessment failed and ban from all DPD sites nationwide, without even hitting the road.

You’ll be fine.

Just a couple of month ago a fellow driver called me darling for my first time ever, in the very same occasion the same driver just asked me if I could undo the fuel tank cap as it was stiff(-ish). Two very first times in a row.

Huh? What did you do to deserve that?

Good luck I hope it works out well for you, remember on the driving part of the assessment they won’t be looking for perfection just a safe legal drive.

Great news on the assessment. As has already been said, the assessment drive just needs to be steady and safe.

I’ve only ever done one assessment drive, but the trickiest part was the reverse, as I had only ever reversed on my test up until that point. If the assessor knows you are a new Class 1 driver, I’m sure he/she will be helpful - try to get the setup right so that you are at a gentle angle into the bay/dock and be gentle with the steering. Don’t worry if it takes you a few attempts either.

Best of luck and let us know how you go!

Oooo, some replies :smile: Good to see we are starting to get comfortable with the new TN.

Thanks for your good luck wishes.

Franglais, I didn’t go for that mucky job in the end, so I think this would potentially be muckier. It’s milk transshipment. So, slow motion multi-drop!

SDU - it’s almost 2, yes :astonished:

jd, I get called darling all the time, wonder when I’ll get called drive for the first time ever :laughing:

Goff, how’s agency only going? No looking back I hope? I hope I don’t suddenly start oversteering like an idiot :laughing:

1 Like

I refuse to be part of this

Agency life is treating me well so far, thanks for asking.

January started very quietly as expected, but by the end of the month I had earned enough to pay the bills without needing to touch my savings, and the end of Jan/beginning of Feb has been so busy that I have managed to get enough shifts in to earn what I need for February, so anything more I do in the next couple of weeks is extra to take into March. All this whilst having days off through the week to spend more time with the 2 year old and save on childcare in the process!

My tax code still hasn’t changed over either so I’m expecting a decent amount back in overpaid tax since Christmas too. Fingers crossed that sorts itself out soon.

As well as the supermarket work, I have also done my first shift with a curtain sider via another agency. That was a trunk run to Curry’s Newark, so a bit different to what I am used to, so all good learning. That was literally a case of being given the keys to get on with it, and all went well, apart from traffic in Birmingham on the way back taking me up to my 15 hours. My first night out was a success with a good night’s sleep and I would be comfortable doing it again.

I’ve still got the slight apprehension of not being 100% guaranteed work from one week to the next, but so far so good and this week I was asked if I could do the Newark trip again (couldn’t unfortunately), so am hoping that will be an extra backup option moving forward if the supermarket work quietens down, but hopefully it will continue to keep going as it has been now for the rest of the year!

When is your assessment?

Part of what? :astonished:

Looks like Toby is back :confused:

J? Toby? I don`t think so.
J has several posts.

None of which mention the Maire`s daughter!
:grinning:

Thanks for doing the research :smile:

Well, I had some free time after doing “The Times” crossword.
I`ll probably start the January 2nd one soon.

Hi goff118

Glad to hear it’s all working out so far. Yes, it can be a bit daunting not knowing for sure where your money is coming from. I have had the best of both worlds recently with a few months of regular work for one client. I’ve got used to the routine of it, the regular income and the stable work, and I can plan because I have a good idea of my finish times.

I had my interview/assessment today, plus I did my usual shift starting late, so I’m currently whiling my 45 away on the A30 heading west into a lovely sunset! !

I felt it went well. It was much more assessment than interview to be honest. Straight into the couple-up and drive after a license check. It felt really good to be in an artic again. The reverse was just a u turn and straight back in the yard at the end! The interview part was then the TM explaining the job and how the casual aspect of it works. I will hear in a couple of weeks so I’ll come back and let you know. :grinning:

Ah wow well done, sounds like it’s yours if you want it :slightly_smiling_face:

Yea, the agency work has all been for Tesco, apart from the one shift for a local haulage firm. The Tesco work is picking up nicely now so hopefully that continues and I can keep getting the work as I have been so far!

Waited patiently for two weeks and I got the call to say I had been unsuccessful on this occasion :pensive: It was due to inexperience and my location (30 miles from the yard). I remember having real difficulty with one of the airlines so it may have been that as well. On the trailer I was connecting up the connections were at shoulder height so I just couldn’t get any oomph behind it.

Otherwise the feedback was positive with an invitation to continue to apply for jobs with the company. They obviously didn’t find what they were looking for though as they have re-advertised it. I was disappointed as I’d wanted it but I will keep trying.