First Euro trip

HI everyone this is bugs girlfriend ive got my first run to the south of france on tuesday boss reckons its a four dayer just wanted to know how much money i will need etc is parking cheap and safe any tips for the tunnel and that also how much wine i can bring back

ps bugs not really speaking to me cos hes not done any european work and hes jealous

Hey.

You wont need that much cash. I normally take 100 euros for a week, and come back with 50 or so. Depends on if you eat in cab or in restaurants.

Parking is generally free everywhere, although a few truckstops have now started charging, due to the large numbers of Eastern Europeans that take up space and dont spend in the restaurant.
you can get a menu in a routiers for around 12 euros. Thats starter, main, dessert and as much house wine as you want.

As far as the tunnel goes. TAKE YOUR TIME getting on, and go onto the other platform to get the swing if you have to, follow the same route as the one going in front of you, it is pretty tight, but just take plenty of room and you will be fine.

Booze. 110 litres of beer and 90 litres of wine and 10 litres of spirits is the generally allowed amount. I spoke to customs on friday cause its my sisters wedding in a few weeks and i volunteered to buy the booze, and the above are the figures they gave me.

Safety isnt really a problem just use a bit of common sense. Unlike this poxy country most customers premises allow you to park overnight no problems, and most have nice clean showers as well.

All services have showers ranging from free to 2 euros but like i said you will find alot of customers have showers.

Where are you going anyway and what route you shipping?

Can’t really help with the amount of money you need, but they quite modern in France and have cash machines :laughing:

As far as I know parking on the services is free and they are far better than what you get in the UK, but many of them can be very full overnight.

Not used the tunnel very often, but one thing I did learn was get the bus from the same door that you entered the train. Luckly another driver pointed me in the right direction as I was heading to the wrong door.

You can bring loads of wine back provided it’s for personal use, :wink:

The only other thing I can think of is peages, hopefully you’ll have a card or box instead of cash as that save queuing for the manual one’s.

Main thing is don’t worry to much, as everything is pretty straight forward, and you’ll love it as it’s just far less stress than trying to get a truck round the UK. :smiley:

going to have to be vague cos not got the address till mon nite tunnel for defo when he told me the place name sounded like breeze■■?

Take a look at the sticky in the europost forum
it has lots of tips and also links that will help you
use the search button to find items,
THERE ARE A FEW SECURE PARKING AREAS
where you have to pay , speed limits , SHOULD
be kept to,also wear your seat belt as they will
give heavy fines when caught, check also the post which
explains which items are required to be carried
If you are looking for wine and beer have a look
in the aldi and lidl, also the french supermarkt are
not bad…,

have fun bring in as much wine as you can afford to buy :confused:
and my only tip is dont park in or around 20 miles of Marseille (off the motorway)

malcolmj:
dont park in or around 20 miles of Marseille (off the motorway)

Is Marseille like the Bronx?

Steve-o:

malcolmj:

worse lol

good luck with your trip i did my first one last week

i found about a 100 euros about the right amount but i eat out a lot and buy a lot of junk :laughing:

one thing i was taught was even if your only doing a “quick” one always take 2 weeks worth of clothes and food you never know what will happen

dont worry about the other side of the road etc it comes natural

dont rely on sat nav get a good french book with post codes the sat nav is only good for say the last five miles

oh and in france i was told to watch your speed going down the hills on overide the gendarme class it as dangerous driving at 100 km or above so im told?? perhaps some one else could verify

other than that hope you have a good one and once its in your blood you wont look back :slight_smile:

Baby Spider:

Steve-o:

malcolmj:

worse lol

… Glasgow?! :laughing: :laughing:

Steve-o:

Baby Spider:

Steve-o:

malcolmj:

worse lol

… Glasgow?! :laughing: :laughing:

in glasgow they just rob your wheels as your going along and leave you alone
in marseille before you get there they search you for a knife if you havent got one they give you one :laughing:

MRS BUGCOS,

if you are taking plastic i.e. Credit Card ( I do as a fall back) make sure you tell your credit card company (same for firms cards, if you are not regular puddlejumper). Due to the amount of cloning abroad most companies block transactions now ,a real pain in the ■■■■ and embarrasing to boot. A quick call and they will no your bonafide.

Block your back doors if possible, try and time your home run to mean no stops near Calais etc. If you do have to overnight near Calais check your load in the morning if you are at all unsure then ask another driver to check it with you most will oblige( little tip for curtains fold the end of the straps to the right the next to the left etc. a quick check in the morning will show if anyone has tampered with them as its doubtfull they will follow your routine). Most important have fun, its not such a dark art as some make out. If in doubt ask. :slight_smile: :wink:

N2N Transport:
MRS BUGCOS,

Block your back doors if possible…

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing:

:blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: You Card!! LOL :smiley:

bugcos:
going to have to be vague cos not got the address till mon nite tunnel for defo when he told me the place name sounded like breeze■■?

Could that be Brive-la Gaillarde? If so that’s Spardo’s neck of the woods.
It’s normally just called Brive.Pronounced Breeve.