First Driving job interview tomorrow

How do, Got my first Driving assesment for a large haulier tomorrow at 12pm, anything i should expect? Do’s, Don’t’s ect. all i know is I need to take my licence digicard and CPC certificate (Card hasn’t come yet)

All help is Hugely appriciated.

Thanks in advance CMG

So how do you actually intend on doing a driving assessment if they don’t have a unit with an analogue tacho ?.. I’d give them a call and see if this is going to present any issues…

As Swampey says, if you haven’t yet got your digicard then you cannot drive a vehicle fitted with a digi tacho.

Think he means his cpc card…Might be wrong.

I must not skim-read posts
I must not skim-read posts…

daftvader:
Think he means his cpc card…Might be wrong.

yeah my cpc card hasn’t come. got my digicard. sorry if it read wrong

Good tip. Have a look at the TM’s left hand. If he is wearing a wedding ring, say to him " Christ…if you can get a wife, then I can definitely get this job ".

It will work-trust me.

eagerbeaver:
Good tip. Have a look at the TM’s left hand. If he is wearing a wedding ring, say to him " Christ…if you can get a wife, then I can definitely get this job ".

It will work-trust me.

For some reason i am dubious of this :stuck_out_tongue:

Silly stuff aside, a driving assesment is where you will go out in one of the companies truck with either the driver trainer or an experienced senior driver where you will be expected to show that you can handle a truck safetly and efficently. Basiclly don’t drive like a loon. They may ask some questions regarding driver hours and tacho regs etc. If you don’t know the answer don’t BS because they will see through that in a second! They know you’re a newbie so they won’t be expecting perfect answers all the time everytime but they do expect you to learn and learn pretty quickly.

They may include some aspect of the job like strapping down loads, making a delivery etc if the time suits. Some places will take you out for a drive, gauge your level and skill then ask you back for more job training. All you need to do is turn up on the day looking smart as well as wearing PPE. Bring a high-viz as well, they may give you one but you’ll score some brownie points if you are totally prepared. Be attentive, ask questions as it shows you’re keen to learn. Biggest thing is just relax!

Radar19:
Silly stuff aside, a driving assesment is where you will go out in one of the companies truck with either the driver trainer or an experienced senior driver where you will be expected to show that you can handle a truck safetly and efficently. Basiclly don’t drive like a loon. They may ask some questions regarding driver hours and tacho regs etc. If you don’t know the answer don’t BS because they will see through that in a second! They know you’re a newbie so they won’t be expecting perfect answers all the time everytime but they do expect you to learn and learn pretty quickly.

They may include some aspect of the job like strapping down loads, making a delivery etc if the time suits. Some places will take you out for a drive, gauge your level and skill then ask you back for more job training. All you need to do is turn up on the day looking smart as well as wearing PPE. Bring a high-viz as well, they may give you one but you’ll score some brownie points if you are totally prepared. Be attentive, ask questions as it shows you’re keen to learn. Biggest thing is just relax!

CHeers pal. Yeah got my PPE ready, and as for asking questions, i’ll be asking how to use a digital tacho, the wagon i learned in had an anolouge one so i’ve not actually seen a digi one yet lol, I’m a quick learner so that should reflect well. And the looking smart thing, i was gonna go with a polo shirt and shorts as i only have formal trousers or Jeans. Not been to an interview in years and the last one i was at they gave me a beer while we talked. Gotta love bar jobs :slight_smile:

But thanks again man, :slight_smile:

CMG

I would go for “smart jeans” rather than shorts if it was me, also if you still have time have a quick play on the tacho simulator here fomento.es/transportes/simul … _adsl.html think the seimens is the most common type HTH

So udate: Got offered the job can start in a fortnight, i have my class 1 training next monday with the test on the friday so they said get back in touch the following monday.

In other news though, i had an impromtu job interview at a firm called Matthew Kibble out of Nelson. ANyone know anything about them cos they offered me a job as well with out a driving assessment. got a trial week paid next week though. All help appriciated once more :slight_smile:

Training trucks are tacho exempt (that’s what my instructor said anyway) so training in one with a digi tacho might not have helped. Ive been working on mine for 2 weeks now and I’m still getting used to it. No one seems to be bothered about training you on how to use them even though not knowing could land u and the company with a fine. Ow well

If it was me I’d be more inclined to take the job with the first company you went to if they took you out on a test drive. To me a company that doesn’t do a test drive doesn’t care who they Hire or how they drive. Says to me their desperate, which also seems to say they can’t hold on to their drivers… Which then raises the question why do their drivers keep leaving.

I could be very wrong but that’s what I thought from the info you’ve given us

Cheers dude. Both have nice kit and people I know have given decent reviews of both. Cheers for the input though dude

Go along for the week trial if you not got anything planned. I may sound like a idiot but also worth while getting as many contacts now for the future.

chainmailguy:
So udate: Got offered the job can start in a fortnight, i have my class 1 training next monday with the test on the friday so they said get back in touch the following monday.

In other news though, i had an impromtu job interview at a firm called Matthew Kibble out of Nelson. ANyone know anything about them cos they offered me a job as well with out a driving assessment. got a trial week paid next week though. All help appriciated once more :slight_smile:

Excellent mate! :smiley:

Sorry I’ve not commented so far, as I have to admit to being a fixture here recently! :blush:
But I’ve been flat out myself, and if ANYONE need to know if Newbies get a start, we are the living proof! :grimacing:

hope you enjoy it, and let us know how you get on.
I will get to read it, eventually! :laughing:

Haha its cool man. Cheers. And yeah we are :slight_smile:

guys how much £ u get offered for ur first job as driver?