First drives after getting artic licence

well I finally got my artic setup. and got to drive it :slight_smile:

as I dont have any friends with artics I started with my own truck converted to semi I landed full time work car carring with a 45’ trailer. and I thought I would relate how I went in the intital drives.
It took 2 goes for me to get my ticket first one the tester and me didn’t get along the second one was sweet. I’m older over 40… I had held my rigid licence for a year and decided to get the artic cause I might use it. I have always wanted to drive big rigs.

hooked up the trailer in the dark with some help and had to drive home with it in the dark pretty eerie but the marker lights helped the road around my place have lots of roundabouts and are tight it was interesting drove into my cul de sac realther than reverse and it took me 45 minutes to get it in the right spot. my mistake and vowed to always revese from now on. you do learn.

second drive involved going out and practicing my reversing round corners It was touch and go on my test and got it first go but I was lucky to get it.
practice certainly helps. still getting the feel of it but I am safe and cautious.
in the afternoon had to go out to the company and sort paper work and sticker the truck. 45 klm each way taking it easy keep ing wide through the corners etc. this is ok.
get back practice some more reversing round the corner much better now I know the truck set up and it is all falling into place.
today loaded some cars on to the trailer did some more driving etc and it seems to be going great much happier and confident. its the miles on the road that help with my teachers voice in my head (from my previous lessons). this isn’t so bad now. its amazing what some experiance does but yeah I’m not overconfident just happy it is going great and this larger trailer isn’t so bad after all. and the little truck is coping.
cheers
meggala

pics of my setup are here in the photos forums

trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=18075