First day tomorrow!

Thank you for the kind words everyone, the excitement I currently feel is second to none. I know that there’ll have been many like me when first passed keen and ready to go. But to see all the waiting and hard work is finally paying off.

In the mean time keeping the passion going whether it be getting pictures, talking to drivers of old school tales or going to truck shows to see the new vehicles on show, getting ideas of how id like my wagon to be.

Tomorrow for me ill be taking it in my stride and if it is Asda at Lutterworth that makes the day fairly easy for me as its not difficult to get too one bit. I had an incline o might have been asked to work as it was just in for an assessment /training day tomorrow but if work is there then I’m ready to go :smiley: Granted its just a night shift not tramping just yet but it gets me into the swing of things and puts a few extra £££ in my birthday piggy bank for next weeks shenanigans:D

As nervous as I’ll be, I doubt the smile on my face will be knocked off for ages after tomorrow :laughing: :smiley:

Cheers

Jonny :sunglasses:

seth 70:
Nice one buddy,have you got your magic tree[new car scent]ready to hang up. :sunglasses: :sunglasses: arco have got them leather trucker gloves at half price at the minute for that propper professional look :wink: :wink:

& the Flat Cap, all drivers from Yorkshire have to wear them (homage to the late, great Fred Dibnah)
Hope you’re doing ok Jonny.

martinviking:

seth 70:
Nice one buddy,have you got your magic tree[new car scent]ready to hang up. :sunglasses: :sunglasses: arco have got them leather trucker gloves at half price at the minute for that propper professional look :wink: :wink:

& the Flat Cap, all drivers from Yorkshire have to wear them (homage to the late, great Fred Dibnah)

Fred was from Bolton Lancashire Martin!! :wink:

Good Luck Jonny! Take your time and take a shunt ok! :laughing:

How did it go then?

^^^ his first day is later today

I don’t start until 16:00, am on a night run tonight :smiley:

Just heard back from another job I went in for an interview last week which I was asked if id go into the traffic office (I went for a driving job mind but seems I was more wanted for the office :stuck_out_tongue:)

I was told they’d speak to the insurers and get back to me as they said they wernt sure if I could.get insured which was a downer so I thought that was that id never hear from them again. Granted they could see my enthusiasm to be out on the road! But was just one of them things, I did say id go in the office before anyone starts but my main goal is to be out driving. But true to their word god in touch asking if I could go for an assessment but as I’m driving this next week I can only do a week on Monday. Which I’m hoping will be fine but understand if it isn’t. :slight_smile:

So the talk of no work for new/young lads is nonsense. Its there you just have to fight hard enough to get it.

Cheers

Who you gonna be working for?
So we know who to look out for?

Well done young man, welcome to the industry, you’ll do OK.
If we get a few more keen youngsters perhaps some of us oldies can take a well earned rest!

Good luck young man.

jonnytruckfest:
So the talk of no work for new/young lads is nonsense. Its there you just have to fight hard enough to get it.

Ive been saying this all along, I’ve never struggled to get work driving anything from vans to artics (I’m 21)

good luck shag.

jonnytruckfest:
Well its official! I start my first day of work tomorrow as one of them so called professional drivers :laughing: I start at 16:00 go for a little assessment drive then get given the keys to a wagon heading for Lutterworth! So a nice easy run for my first shift.

So if anyone sees a white knuckled fairly nervous yorkshireman behind the wheel of a black wagon tomorrow chances are its me! So be sure to stay well clear :laughing:

Cheers

Well done lad.
Take your time and enjoy it,Asda is fairly easy to find.Depending what time you leave rememberJ 22-23 M1 north is shu,Its a ok diversion thou so just a heads up on that.

dessy:

martinviking:

seth 70:

Fred was from Bolton Lancashire Martin!! :wink:

Good Luck Jonny! Take your time and take a shunt ok! :laughing:

Ah Well, it’s all north of Watford Gap & they all sound the same to me. Lol.

Cheers folks, Not long to go now. Cars packed up ready to go as I’ve been told that I’m going to be parking up after lutterworth take my 9 off and start again in the morning although I will be asking if they know where my reload will be to give me a chance to get my route planned out if not head up or down the way a little. (If anyone knows where abouts to park around there would be appreciated! :smiley:)

I’ll be on for Mcdowells Jack-Knife, not sure what wagon I’m getting or what have you but so long as it’s road worthy and goes that’s all that matters. I was going to take my nameplate but no point when I’ll only be in the motor a few days and isn’t a set motor so again only taking bare essentials. My flat cap is in the wash though so will have to go without sadly :wink:

See you out there folks.

Cheers

The stobarts truckstop is just down the A5 southbound by about 10 minutes. People fault it but it’s underrated IMO, clean showers, good food, open 24h and plenty of space.

You in a rigid or artic? (Sorry I’ve not kept up to date with the other thread)

Congrats on the new job,I know a cracking little place to stop 10 mins or so from Lutterworth if you fancy a good meal and a pint and you can park in the car park too for free and he will open the toilets for you all night.

If your interested send us a pm and I will tell you where it is. :wink:

I’ll be in a rigid mate, not got my class 1 just yet :sunglasses:

Cheers

I suppose this can be a little diary of my journey thus yet before the end of my shift and as I sit on a bay doing sweet FA! I arrived at mcdowells half an hour ahead of schedule as they momentarily rang me but said it didn’t matter although I sensed I would be needed a little early so I got there ad fast as I could.

I was took to my assessment walk upto the garage to collect the truck a spin around the block and back at the yard. Passed the assessment with 4 ‘minors’ same as my actual test oh the irony :smiley: Anyway the assessment truck was a daf cf with a straight six speed in it, looked a bit knackered but was upto the job still. From this my truck still hadn’t arrived from its loading destination I was told id be taking a 26 tonner down to Lutterworth…awesome I thought :laughing:

Anyway I was asked if I could go to the garage again to pick a truck up for loading. No problem I said and away I went picked up another daf to come to the yard for loading. I see what looks to be two mercs one three legger the other an 18 tonne axor. I went to the office and handed back the keys where I was handed keys to a merc for my load to Lutterworth. To my surprise I got keys to the 18 tonner, and I was slightly more made up having a bigger cab. :slight_smile:

So checks made, I remember ive no tacho rolls and there wasn’t a chance I was taking off without them. So back to the office I ask for tacho rolls and was handed a box of three. Happy Jonny to say the least :smiley:

Off I go setting off to get on the M1 south and surprisingly a good trip I must add though I apologize to the ups driver for my lack of judgment! And to anyone else being stuck behind me going uphill. Apparently mercs don’t like hills :laughing: :imp:

Sadly no pictures as of yet as I wanted to make my 2300 booking time and well I got here for 2200 and on a bay at 2230 after a few shunts. :smiley: So that’s my day so far, I’m a little tired and ready for bed. But ill be glad to inform the office tomorrow I got here early, on a bay early and hopefully fingers crossed out within three hours as I know they can be a bad tip here!

Pictures to come tomorrow!

Cheers

No need to tell the office you got there early … or got on bay early … you will then be expected to do this EVERY time :laughing: . ALL the office need to know, is when you are tipped … OR if there is a problem / delay.
If you are tipped early … always time for a brew / “40 winks” … you will soon learn to look after No 1 (you). :wink: :wink:

If you are hourly paid … don’t start “chasing” … the more you do … the more you will be expected to do. I know you are keen to make a good impression.

Hope all goes well. I’m pleased you got a chance. :smiley:

The Rustler:
No need to tell the office you got there early … or got on bay early … you will then be expected to do this EVERY time :laughing: . ALL the office need to know, is when you are tipped … OR if there is a problem / delay.
If you are tipped early … always time for a brew / “40 winks” … you will soon learn to look after No 1 (you). :wink: :wink:

If you are hourly paid … don’t start “chasing” … the more you do … the more you will be expected to do. I know you are keen to make a good impression.

Hope all goes well. I’m pleased you got a chance. :smiley:

^^^^^ what he said,

Nicely done! I got my start tomorrow. Driving for Lincoln Co-op.