First day so confused

So today I’ve done my first days work since passing.

Can someone take a look at my tacho printout as I’m so confused,

Firstly have I actually gained anything by taking 17 mins break first thing,

Secondly the guy who ‘took me under his wing’ said to basically get in the cab put tacho in stick it straight on break, have a stand around, ■■■ tea etc and do vehicle checks? Surely vehicle checks is other work,

Can anyone spot anything that I’ve done wrong looking at the printout I have sort of been guided by my mentor today, but if I’m being bull ■■■■■■ then I’ll do it my way

Cheers

By the way I’ve driven two different vehicles today

Looks ok to me.

The only thing you’ve gained by taking 17 mins first thing is to keep your working time down…looking at the amount of 2,3,7,10 minutes breaks here and there can I hazard a guess that your mentor has either told you to stick it on break everytime you stop or the tacho reverts to that mode?
When doing your checks,having a ■■■ or brew whatever you do first thing, keep it on work as this is what the ministry will look for…by putting it on rest you either arn’t doing your daily check or you are falsifying the record…take your pick.
You could do with doing the manual entry to explain the time missing swapping wagons too.

You’ve had your breaks right so the other stuff is just niggles shag.

How was your first day then?

For your first trip it’s not bad but there are one or two things you need to be aware of for the future.

As said vehicle checks should be recorded as other work.
If you get stopped and anything is found to be wrong you can’t say you did pre-trip check because it’s illegal to do it while recording break.

The 17 minute break was pointless and would have been more productive had it been other work so you could show time for a vehicle check.

When you changed vehicles you should have done a manual entry to show what you was doing while the card was out, that was most likely other work, what you actually recorded (either deliberately or occidentally) for the time the card was out was ? (time that cannot be accounted for), it should have been cross hammers (other work).

You’ve got a few short one or two minute breaks, I assume the tachograph defaults to break when the ignition is switched off, it’s not a big problem but you should really change the mode switch straight away.
Best get into good habits now rather than later :wink:

Apart from that I can’t see anything wrong, there’s nothing serious to worry about but you should record other work for vehicle checks in future.

Edit: By the way you should really do vehicle checks on each vehicle you drive.

It was great thanks shropsbri !

Yes the tacho changed to break by default

The ? Is when swapping trucks I knew I should have done a manual entry but again ‘I didn’t need to worry’ I was told. In future I think I’m just going to take the attitude of its my licence so I’m going to do what I thinks right,

Cheers for the help guys put my mind at rest

The only thing I can see that is wrong (apart from the break at the start of the shift & the manual entry when changing vehicles & the silly little breaks) is letting those 2 Slugs crawl over your printout.
They need tapping on the head with one of those VOSA Toffee Hammers.

tachograph:
The 17 minute break was pointless and would have been more productive had it been other work so you could show time for a vehicle check.

There is a slight benefit from putting in a 15 minute break early in the shift, and that is that if you get to your 4h 30m accumulated driving obligatory rest break you can get it over and done in 30 minutes instead of 45. This might be to your advantage if you’re tight on time later in the shift, but an opportunity presents itself for a short break earlier on.

ORC:
There is a slight benefit from putting in a 15 minute break early in the shift, and that is that if you get to your 4h 30m accumulated driving obligatory rest break you can get it over and done in 30 minutes instead of 45. This might be to your advantage if you’re tight on time later in the shift, but an opportunity presents itself for a short break earlier on.

I agree, but in the OPs case there was no driving done before the 17 minute break so it couldn’t be used as part of a driving break, it can sometimes be beneficial to show an early break anyway but not in place of other work that should be recorded for vehicle checks.

louis89uk:
It was great thanks shropsbri !

Yes the tacho changed to break by default

The ? Is when swapping trucks I knew I should have done a manual entry but again ‘I didn’t need to worry’ I was told. In future I think I’m just going to take the attitude of its my licence so I’m going to do what I thinks right,

Cheers for the help guys put my mind at rest

Glad it went well!
It seems you know what you need to do so trust your instincts,especially if your instincts say I don’t know…always best to ask,no-one will batter for asking in here like they do in the other forum.
Be good!

You can have a driving break without doing any driving.
Example
Other work 5 hours, 15min break, driving 2 hours, other work 1 hour, 30min break, driving 2hours finished.

Under the WTD you have to have a 15min break before 6 hours working(driving or not).
Say you start at 6:30 am, you have to have a 15min break before 12:30, you could go on your break at 12:29 as you haven’t worked more than 6 hours.

Eat My BB:

No you can’t, you have to have done some driving before a break will count as the first part of a split driving break.

Eat My BB:
Example
Other work 5 hours, 15min break, driving 2 hours, other work 1 hour, 30min break, driving 2hours finished.

In this example you’ve done four hours driving and had the first part of a 45 minute driving break (the 30 minute break), you would need another 30 minute break after another 30 minutes driving if you wanted to continue working.

Eat My BB:
Under the WTD you have to have a 15min break before 6 hours working(driving or not).

You have to start a 15 minute break before exceeding six hours working time not before six hours working time.

Eat My BB:
Say you start at 6:30 am, you have to have a 15min break before 12:30, you could go on your break at 12:29 as you haven’t worked more than 6 hours.

You could go on your break at 12:30 but unless you’ve done some driving it will count for the RT(WT)R but it will not count as a driving break.

No offence intended but this is quite basic stuff, I strongly recommend you study the Rules on Drivers Hours and Tachographs before doing any work in-scope of EU regulations.

tachograph:
No offence intended but this is quite basic stuff, I strongly recommend you study the Rules on Drivers Hours and Tachographs before doing any work in-scope of EU regulations.

I had a quick look at the link, I can’t see where is says you have to have been driving before a break is counted in the 45min(reset break as I call it)

Eat My BB:

tachograph:

I had a quick look at the link, I can’t see where is says you have to have been driving before a break is counted in the 45min(reset break as I call it)

It doesn’t say it because it doesn’t need to.

Article 8 of the regulations say “After a driving period of four and a half hours a driver shall take an uninterrupted break of not less than 45 minutes”, that makes it clear that the break has to be after the 4½ hours driving not before it, the article goes on to say that the break may be split as long as the two parts are “distributed over the period in such a way as to comply with the provisions of the first paragraph”, this makes it clear that the two parts of a split driving break must be distributed over the driving period.

Article 4 - (EC) 561/2006

‘driving period’ means the accumulated driving time
from when a driver commences driving following a rest
period or a break until he takes a rest period or a break.
The driving period may be continuous or broken.

Article 8 - (EC) 561/2006

After a driving period of four and a half hours a driver shall
take an uninterrupted break of not less than 45 minutes,
unless he takes a rest period.

This break may be replaced by a break of at least 15 minutes
followed by a break of at least 30 minutes each distributed
over the period in such a way as to comply with the provisions
of the first paragraph.

Like I said this is quite basic stuff you really should do more than have a “quick look” over the rules.

edit:
It’s just taken me about a minute to find this on page 17 of the Rules on Drivers Hours and Tachographs I linked to:

Alternatively, a full 45-minute break can be replaced by one break of at least 15 minutes followed by another break of at least 30 minutes. These breaks must be distributed over the 4.5-hour period.
Breaks of less than 15 minutes will not contribute towards a qualifying break, but neither will they be counted as duty or driving time. The EU rules will only allow a split-break pattern that shows the second period of break being at least 30 minutes, such as in the following examples

If you’re going to drive in-scope of EU regulations I seriously suggest you study the rules or you could be paying your wages out in fines.

I know all that.

I also noticed that it was only you that corrected my about it.

The example that I put up only had 4 hours driving in total so no break is required except for the WTD.

Eat My BB:
I know all that.

Then why did you say “You can have a driving break without doing any driving” or “I had a quick look at the link, I can’t see where is says you have to have been driving before a break is counted in the 45min(reset break as I call it):confused:

Eat My BB:
I also noticed that it was only you that corrected my about it.

Sorry I don’t understand the relevance of that.

Eat My BB:
The example that I put up only had 4 hours driving in total so no break is required except for the WTD.

I agree but you was clearly using it as an example of how you could have a driving break before doing any driving.

Example

I’d Give up Tacho :unamused:

I was wanting to see how many would correct me on this forum, if I had any question to ask to see if I would get the correct answer.

As it was only you, I think I will try somewhere else as well to get the correct answers. :frowning:

Eat My BB:
I was wanting to see how many would correct me on this forum, if I had any question to ask to see if I would get the correct answer.

As it was only you, I think I will try somewhere else as well to get the correct answers. :frowning:

This isn’t really a place to try to catch people out,ask a straight question and people will do their best for you but you may notice from other threads regarding hours questions it will be usually either Tachograph or Coffeeholic…so seeing as it was only him…who took the time to try to clarify things for you you got no less than anyone else.

Here is as good as place as any to get answers and better than most others.

I kinda feel you may owe Tachograph a small apology…or at least a thank you?