First day out on my own

Just sat in a lay by on a 45 so thought I’d post an update.

So first day on my own with tesco. Started at 5am. 3 drops in a 13m trailer all to superstores. First I had to reverse into the yard and second was real tight so had to jack-knife and shunt a few times to get it on. on my way to the third which looks pretty simple on the risk assessment. I was ■■■■■■■■ myself this morning. Feeling a lot more confident after showing myself I can do the challenging bits on my own…

Been down some tight roads too lol almost panicked but made it through - it was busy morning which made it worse. Found my own way a couple of times already as I rightfully didn’t trust microlise and had to follow a diversion which was simples.

Cheers.

Nice one. 3 drops? Tell them you didn’t sign up to do multi-drop :L

Some of those Tesco sites are ■■■■■■■ tight (and I’m only in a rigid!). Got to one two days ago, it was a dead end junction that I had to turn in, then back up to the kerb to load empties. Looked at the risk assessment “8m rigid”. Bar stewards!

Hope you enjoy it though. Where are you working out of?

Well done Dave, keep it up :wink:

Great work, hope the rest of your shift goes well!

Cheers guys. I’m working out of reading.

I made it home alive and all went swimmingly. Good feeling.

Well done. Just remember don’t rush and don’t let people try and push you to go faster than YOU are comfortable with.[emoji106]

All going nicely to plan. Well done. Enjoy!

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Good thing about tescos is there’s no pressure, no one chasing you. As long as you do the job properly you’ll do alright. It suits me anyway.

Yeah I’ve just been taking everything real slow, thinking about it and getting out if I have to!

Thanks again

Job jobbed :exclamation:
Now for day 2, and 3, and… :wink:

Jon

Well done Dave. If you are unsure at a junction or some helmet has double parked,dont panic.

You can only do what you can do. You are getting paid for driving that vehicle and its YOUR responsibility. If people have to wait,then so be it.

First couple of weeks,i was in and out of the cab like a fiddlers elbow. If you are unsure-get out and have a look. Takes seconds,but could save a life or an insurance claim/bollocking off the boss!

You will be fine mate. Keep us informed.

Cheers beaver.
yeah I totally agree I’d rather have people laugh at me getting out and having a look than laughing at me for knocking down a wall, post or building or the like lol.
cheers for the advice mate.

I have never laughed at any driver getting out to take a look. Actually if I see one do that they immediately earn my respect, as they are being sensible and doing the right thing.

Watching drivers taking risks and short cuts annoys me. Why don’t they check the trailer brake before reversing under, why didn’t they check their lights and do their other trailer checks before pulling away?

So please do carry on being safe, take it as slow as you need to, don’t be rushed and don’t get into bad habits.

Totally agree with ORC. When I am at RDC’s like for example TJ Morris (Home Bargains) Knowsley,it can be very tight reversing between wagons,especially on your blind side.

Almost every time that I have been,at least one driver has been straight out of their cab to offer a hand if a driver is struggling or short of room.

Its just one of the things that I love about my fellow truckers. Theres time to take the ■■■■,and then theres time to do the job and crack on.

Ive yet to see another driver laughing at anothers skill level. If I do I will verbally tear them a brand new hole. We ALL started somewhere.

Cheers lads. Yeah I’m not the type to cut corners and I won’t ever stop being that way.
It has been good to speak to some fellow truckers - they’ve been helpful and informative at the depot. Although one ■■■■ turned his nose up because I was “agency” and decided he hated me before I’d even opened my mouth. Oh well swings and roundabouts.

Also all the back door staff I’ve experienced so far have been great people and very helpful if I have to reverse into a yard or something.

Don’t worry about being agency mate.

Theres new medicines being developed every day.

Lol I don’t care anyway. Work’s work

Im only kidding pal. Been there myself.

Nothing wrong with that Dave, it all counts as experience. I’ll be doing some agency work when I get my cards back, shouldn’t be more than a week now hopefully :confused:

How you getting on with the tacho, confusing y/n? That’s something that you don’t get taught much while training. Then when you go out to work you have to Figure it all out?

Had my first day on my own on Weds, I was so nervous as well particularly with the reversing not so much the going forwards. First place got on bay first time, almost fell out of cab in shock, hasn’t happened since though. I agree though other drivers do seem very patient and helpful.

cheers dani. The tachograph is actually really easy, I just watched one YouTube video on manual entries and it was really simple. Common sense really. Nothing to worry about anyway.

I still get nervous about the reverse too but I think it’s actually easier without someone watching over you or telling you what to do… you think about it more and it’s more important that you get it right. And if you take a shunt so what.
Haha i was the same mate id step out the cab after and think dud i just do that!? well done though mate keep up the good work.