First day on the job tomorrow[well technically first night]

A few things I’ve learnt this week.

When you’ve coupled up the abs fault light coming on is normal, don’t worry about it drive off it should clear itself, I was not aware of this,

The reverse gear in a MAN is jerkier than a fourteen year old boy watching a blue movie,

Red Bull is the drink of the devil and as such should not be drank, I didnt even need it but had one and within ten minutes was on the brink of sleep [don’t worry I pulled straight in.

When coupling up [in a premium, not sure if other units have this feature, again it’s not something I was aware of] make sure the big plug that is to be attached on the unit isn’t in the dummy holder, strange the dummy clip and the real one are right next to each other, couldn’t figure out what I’d done wrong, attached both individual electric lines into trailer, rechecked them, then worked way back to big plug on unit and noticed the socket which was identical to the one it was plugged into and swapped it over :blush:

Silly little things that a seasoned veteran would know, but things I now have in my knowledge bank for the future :unamused:

Night shift■■? I bloody love it now :smiley:

Coffeeholic:
If you get tired pop in for a coffee while you are in Luton. I’m usually awake and the coffee is strong so you won’t sleep for a couple of days after drinking it.

Sounds like a plan :sunglasses:

I’ve had the ABS trailer light on a few times after coupling up now. The first time I waited for ages on tickover for it to go out, eventually dragging the night shift boss out for a nose at it… :blush:

At least I know now. :slight_smile:

Yeah, nights are great, I feel alive working at night. :smiley:

garnerlives:
A few things I’ve learnt this week.

i can add to this from just today,

when on the M25 dont expect car drivers to move over at the 1/2 mile sign like most people do, they will try to drive through your cab then give you the coffee beans sign for being in thier way (you can get your own back by not letting them in and forcing them to stay on the motorway until the next junction :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: i hope you missed your plane you prick)

if pulling a tautliner dont look in your mirrors at the curtains, you will just worry all the way back to portsmouth about the bulge in the curtains from braking and swerving hard when someone tries to drive through you, and you will worry for nothing, its only a pallet of newspapers that have slipped a little!

when shunting in the yard and disconnecting the yellow air line, make sure you have a good hold of the lead as it comes off with some force and eventually gets stopped by something solid…like your knee and it knacks like hell for about 3 hours (and counting) afterwards!

Dont slip off the middle step while climbing into you cab and smash your shin on it, it hurts :laughing: :blush: :cry:

Wozzer:
I’ve had the ABS trailer light on a few times after coupling up now. The first time I waited for ages on tickover for it to go out, eventually dragging the night shift boss out for a nose at it…

Always couple up with the ignition off, that goes a long way to solving ABS ‘problems’ but regardless of that the light should go out when you hit about 8km/h.

The ordinary trailer brakes still work even if the ABS does not.

ROG:

I was unsure as to the potential [if any problems] of leaving with abs fault on, hence getting it checked and making sure, might sound stupid to the seasoned pros, but there is a lot riding on this job so cannot afford to make drastic balls ups, and it was drummed into us in the first week induction if in doubt ask, so I can’t be frowned at for making sure :blush: I’ll get used to it all soon enough

hiya,
G L i was fourteen once had there been blue movies around then i would have been a bit like a M A N gearlever, :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
thanks harry long retired.

garnerlives:
if in doubt ask

Which is exactly right. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

garnerlives:
Silly little things that a seasoned veteran would know,

We still make silly mistakes no matter how long we have been driving lol :smiley:

garnerlives:
Night shift■■? I bloody love it now :smiley:

Told ya can’t beat em. :smiley:

Wozzer:
I’ve had the ABS trailer light on a few times after coupling up now.

The law states that an ABS light must go out by the time a vehicle reaches 10 KPH (had you done my theory course this would have been covered) some will go off with the ignition,others later, the light goe’s out when the system has been checked by the computer.

ROG:

Quite right Rog, but under construction and use if ABS is fitted then it must be working, and I am sure VOSA would take a dim view if it wasn’t, and the DSA examiner will not take a vehicle out with an ABS light on.