First day on agency

Any helpful tips as I start my first day on class 2 tomorrow !! Got a start with an agency so I rang the company who I’m starting with to be told bring a sat nav and be prepared to load your own cages and strap them down … Yikes never loaded a lorry before never mind driven one !!

Best of luck pal, but one question…

What if you don’t own a SatNav? :open_mouth:

I’m no expert in employment law, but I would assume that if the company deem it a requirement for the job, they should provide it.

I know that sounds a bit obstinate of me, but it’s not like they are going to pay to replace it if it gets broken or damaged…

I’m guessing it not a requirement for the regular drivers who know the routes. Fortunately I have borrowed one off a pal

do they have straps at all or do they expect you to bring them as well? :open_mouth:

Make sure you strap the cages really tight.
Remember to do your vehicle checks before taking the vehicle onto the public highway, get the mirrors, seat and controls positioned correctly and let it show on your tacho usually at least 15mins.

I was really nervous when I first started driving after my test in January.
It will take you a lot longer than drivers that do it everyday but don’t worry about that. Take your time and work through what you have to do. If you’re not sure about anything don’t be afraid to ask… Most drivers or transport staff (if they were drivers themselves) are more than happy to help and give advice. It took me ages to do my daily checks initially and six months on it comes more naturally on what I’m looking for. I’m still agency so I drive an array of vehicles every week but it’s great experience. is the sat nav you’ll be using a truck one? If not then make sure you look out for signs on weight/height/width limits. … I got myself a truck sat nav and couldn’t drive without it :-/
Hands down to those who don’t use one. … you’re champions!

DONT put the ratchet straps ’ straight across ’ the back of the row of the 3 cages. You will simply pull the load loc metal liners out of the fibreglass body. Reach as far as you can down the sides with the hooks, and then tighten. Imagine a birds eye view of this symbol ] Hope that makes sense!

If your carrying cages and they only supply straps then I’d also do a cross after the last row as a precaution.

If in a Box body don’t leave gaps as they move for fun and try to bounce around the truck. Should have bars anyway in those

First thing you do is ask another driver to show how they do theirs. They WILL help and not bite (much)!

Don’t be a hero and pretend you know. No shame in asking, ■■■■ sight more shame cleaning up if it goes ■■■■ up. Ask!

eagerbeaver:
DONT put the ratchet straps ’ straight across ’ the back of the row of the 3 cages. You will simply pull the load loc metal liners out of the fibreglass body. Reach as far as you can down the sides with the hooks, and then tighten. Imagine a birds eye view of this symbol ] Hope that makes sense!

Drew a quick diagram to help explain your point further :slight_smile:

eagerbeaver:

LOL - I think someone is speaking from experience! :blush:

Cheers Reef! Im [zb]ing crap with computers. Evil…what are you trying to say mate?? Lol.

I may of …erm learned from experience.

eagerbeaver:
Cheers Reef! Im [zb]ing crap with computers. Evil…what are you trying to say mate?? Lol.

I may of …erm learned from experience.

No worries, I’ve done worse! (But not admitting them on here! :smiley:)

Grrrr cages lol,reminds me of starting class 2 agency with spar,drive off stop then hear “bang pause bang bang” followed by err think I better stop then realise it’s sealed happy days lol.

Haha-good shout Trunker!!

Or the old, " I hope that isn’t a cage door come open " noise.

Which only happens the once. Because after the aftermath has been discovered, you realise that short cuts don’t work.

And you certainly don’t chance the " Its only 2 miles, it’ll be ok " choice EVER again.

ive only done cages twice, p&h (i wont go into that as most of us have done there) and hays distribution. they didnt use straps, they used bars. bloody awful system! spent most of the shift picking crap back up.

to the op, you’ve been given good advice, take it and your common sense and you will be fine.

and this before beaver says it… dont forget your lidl carrier bag, put your hi viz on the floor and wipe your muddy boots on it, remember your bluetooth earpiece and dont forget to limp :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: lol

Haha-you forgot the plaster mate. To repair the NHS issue glasses.

And the dirty vest jogging bottoms and rigger boots lol

Sat navs are not a requirement, knowledge of the roads is. Very few firms though are starting to us fleet sat navs connected to the office. YDS have, Maritime have a good one and a few others I have seen. Cages it depends on what type, milk? ambient food products? some are a ■■■■■ and the doors fling open on any downward pressure othere are great for strapping. Surprised they are not using load bars.