First day driving tomorrow

And am looking forward to it! I’ve had to go agency as I’ve been turned down on so many opportunities because I have no LGV driving experience :frowning: so tomorrow is my first day with the agency and I’m driving for bookers, am quite nervous as it’s my first time out by myself and am worried about forgetting something, tacho is the most worrying thing for me as I’ve had a look at some printouts and it looks so confusing.
And advice for the first day?

Think, think, think, take your time, stay cool and enjoy the experience.

Take your time, double check everything. Do your faults list, enjoy it and ■■■■ happens so don’t worry.

No need to look at the digi printouts.Just record driving time with a kitchen timer and do not go over a 15 or 13 hour duty.
Remember,if do a 15 hour day that counts as a reduced daily rest of 9 hours even though you may have had 12 hours off or more.

Do not concern yourself too much with delivery times, especially if it’s shop deliveries. You get there when you get there, any half decent firm will understand if your a new driver it’ll take longer.

Don’t let the office staff get to you, drive at your own pace and don’t worry if you have to fail a few drops.
Chances are you are going to have a digi tacho which in reality are doddle to use and allow you to keep track of your hours.
If you’re not sure about anything ask, someone will help you out.

Dont forget your boots and take a pen. …Have a nice day

Good luck for tomorrow mate, like others have said take your time and although you’ll be nervous you should hopefully enjoy it.
Just remember your tacho and to have your breaks etc etc as the time will fly when your doing the job first time round

Firstly, I’m pleased for you. We have all been there so don’t be scared of asking fellow drivers if there is something you are not sure on. It’s the start of a long learning curve but once you know the basics you can get away with busking through and telling others you’re an old hat.

I’ve been off the road and in the office for the past 7 years, but my passion for the job has alas got the better of my and I’m going back night trunking in a weeks time. Oh yes! Me, a Scania, and lots of Alex Lester. :laughing:

Good luck :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Good luck and like everyone has said just take you time and enjoy yourself and don’t be scared to ask about anything your not sure about :smiley: :smiley:

Think,concentrate and most of all do it in your own time and stay cool and think things through if things seem to be going wrong,there is always an answer to your problem.

Thanks :slight_smile: am on site and I think I have everything, I’m here before the supervisor so I think I’m a bit too early

Good luck :wink:

Bit late now - but don’t be shy to ask if you don’t understand. Sure you will meet the odd ■■■■■■■■, but most drivers will help if they can.

I have such better appreciation of hgv drivers now, this is difficult, multi drop for bookers today but this thing is so wide and long, nothing like I did my training in, am in a daf cf sleeper with a box and tail lift, for some reason it hasn’t got windows in the bunk so pulling out of awkward junctions is a ■■■■■. It’s been terrifying today but so much fun. Am working for pallet way for the rest of the week

Only advice I can give is

Take your time
Get out and look (don’t hope/think your past that lamp post)
Don’t be afraid of making people wait! You know what space you need, take control of the situation and make a car driver move if they are in your way.
Don’t be afraid of asking someone to watch you back, although be careful who you ask as some will just keep saying come on, come on etc crunch lol.
Above all try to enjoy it and remember a PEN!

Frost89:
I have such better appreciation of hgv drivers now, this is difficult, multi drop for bookers today but this thing is so wide and long, nothing like I did my training in, am in a daf cf sleeper with a box and tail lift, for some reason it hasn’t got windows in the bunk so pulling out of awkward junctions is a ■■■■■. It’s been terrifying today but so much fun. Am working for pallet way for the rest of the week

Bloody hell 10hr day, they’ve broken you in gently lol my place would give you a 15 hr day 550k, with about 6 drops and 2 collections lol

Nice one buddy

Frost89:

Sounds like you’ve done well mate, all done and posting an update on here at 4pm with no incidents to report. :smiley:

You’ll probably get a curtainsider at Palletways, make sure you ask the fellas there for a run down on how they work before going out.

Frost89:

Sounds like you did well don’t be scared of the size you will get use to it

irish lorries:

Frost89:

Sounds like you did well don’t be scared of the size you will get use to it

Thats what I told my missus 6 years ago, she doesn’t even wince now :laughing: