First crash today

Macka Packa:
They asked for my details but i told them to stick it ,
because i didnt want these idiots phoning my home
and told them to phone work.
)

someone bumped into me when i was driving a wagon and she was really irrate and started asking for all my details. I didnt give them to her because i didnt want her coming round my house or ringing me and obviously i dont carry companies insurance details with me so i just gave her the office number. Anyway a week or so later the police phoned and they said that i should’ve given her my details and that it was illegal not to. However they didnt pursue it BUT i was wondering was i wrong not to give her my details?

Highway code rule 286

If you are involved in a collision which causes damage or injury to any other person, vehicle, animal or property, you MUST:

• stop
  • give your own and the vehicle owner’s name and address, and the registration number of the vehicle, to anyone having reasonable grounds for requiring them
  • if you do not give your name and address at the time of the collision, report it to the police as soon as reasonably practicable, and in any case within 24 hours

[Law RTA 1988 sect 170]

Sounds a bit suspect to me. If you cannot recall any specifics then you were probably doing it right. It is when you mess up that things tend to occur to you. The fact that the car was older, that his sons were obviously local, that he hit you in the side hard enough to total his car and wreck your tank suggests a lot. After all, if he was only looking at the lights then he wasn’t concentrating on the road or he would have seen you.

When you get a call from his insurers, don’t take any nonsense. Probably, he will be virtually disabled by the time they get in touch and they will start in on you in about 3 or 4 months. They will call you at home and at work. Tell them in no uncertain terms that their man was in the wrong. Tell them that he was fine after he hit you, and stress that he ran into you, and make sure that they are told that no charges were profferred or laid. Then tell them to sue and be damned, and you will see them in court.

They usually back down then.

just thought it a bit suspect when his sons arrived 30 secs later,as above keep lots of notes for when the insurers start asking more in depth questions,ask yours, like how long had he had the car?was it tested?was it fit for the road? all to cast doubt on his story,and by the way your light was green.

Hi all

I was back driving today ,
no crashes :unamused:

Boss told me not to worry ,

police think its a 50/50 crash ,
i.e. we both were amber light chasers ,
but since i,m 40ft longer than him , he should have seen the junction wasnt clear
and stopped regardless,
i could have been a stranded vehicle etc…

Tacho says i was doing 20mph so thats good news,
i,m leaving it up to the insurance to earn their premium now ,

i had a very cautious driving day today :blush:

since nobody was hurt thank god,
i think i learned a very valuable lesson at a cheap price,

and it was a good reminder to me,
that the roads are a very dangerous place too work ,

its just scary that if somebody got ingured i may have gone to prison etc…
based on unreliable whitness,s.

if it happens again i,ll just slump over the wheel
and act unconcious,
:wink:

Without wishing to imply anything untoward…

The way things are going in the UK, with licences held but not earned, with people knowing they can lie their way to comfort by a bit of malingering, with this BS where you can be involved in an accident and the other party suddenly loses all ability to speak English and the Police come down on their side…

With all this, it is not a case of if it happens, but when it happens.

Just don’t give them a cahnce to get their breath when they start on. Be ready for them and hit them hard.

bobthedog:
With all this, it is not a case of if it happens, but when it happens.

Just don’t give them a cahnce to get their breath when they start on. Be ready for them and hit them hard.

Most if not all insurance companys insist on all correspondence from 3rd party’s is passed directly to them, unanswered! They deal with the claim for damage/personal injury.

Apart from filling in the company insurers accident form Macka Packa should have no more involvement in the claims process. He may get a solicitors/insurers letter from the other driver but these should be passed on…unanswered! He won’t get the chance to “hit them hard”

Unless the police decide to prosecute either driver then there is little chance of this going to court, both insurers will try their best not to incur further costs &, especially as the police have intimated a 50-50 situation, they will work it out themselves.

Just a thought, but I see Maplins are selling a driver cam that records your journey onto an SD card. (IE it’s just a cheap camcorder). If you buy one & record everywhere you go. Then just wipe the card & start again if nothing happens, but if soemthing does happen hey presto you got it on “film” so in this case you would know if the light was on red or green & could prove it!

Don’t worry about it …HE CRASHED INTO YOU!!! You didn’t crash into him!!!
Obviously you are now suffering with severe whiplash■■? Get down to casualty and tell them your neck hurts.

Hi day 2 back at work ,
having all the jokes now
such as

BOSS -----“i can update your tomtom”
ME --------“i think i already have the new version anyway”
BOSS------“no this one tells you to stop at lights etc”

Still a bit cautious through junctions waiting for a smash :unamused:

No sore neck or back though,
i wouldnt tempt fate and try that claim
i,m just happy i,m fit and well .

Tacho is my best defence because he and his whitness,s still claim i was speeding
when i was doing 20mph.
So i think they will shoot themselves in the foot.

I suppose our office is on the roads so we are
"according to the law of averages " gonna have a smash.
Like a joiner will hit his thumb with a hammer
or a chef will eventually burn his hand on a pan.

Oh yeah and they were on GREEN
:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

lets look at this logicaly

1. ok so you killed the car can be replaced
  2. damaged your truck oh dear off the road for a few days can be repaired
  3. police called not booked
  4. insured then let them sort it out thats there job
  5. NO ONE HURT RESULT

metal and plastic can be repaired or replaced life is to dammed precious