First couple of years

Yet another 52yr old considering a career change from nothing at all like driving.

There are obviously pros and cons to C vs C+E. As yet I’m undecided. In the meantime …

I’ve seen a couple of class 1 jobs actively advertised for newly qualified drivers. (Eg Yodle) Are these a good or bad place to start, and how useful is it to do some class 2 jobs first? Or it better / easier to start with agencies or small indiependants?

I get that shifts are typically long, start times are really early, and job ads often mention overtime at 40+hrs/shift allowance/OTE/6 day weeks/etc but when driving time limits are strictly enforced, what does a working week typically look like for new drivers?

I’ve seen a baffling range of pay rates mentioned: £7 per hour, £1400+ per week, class 1 with no experience dismissed as only £34.5k. Obviously experience and qualifications are a big part of rates, so what can you realistically expect to earn in the first couple of years? How much experience does it really take to earn £40k without grinding yourself into the ground?

What add-on qualifications (ADR/HIAB/forklift) make the most difference, if any, in the first couple of years?

Idris:
There are obviously pros and cons to C vs C+E

Are you referring to jobs or training :question:

ROG:

Idris:

Mainly training.

Idris:

ROG:

Idris:

Mainly training.

Why would you want to do C when you will soon be able to go straight to CE :question:

ROG:

Idris:

ROG:

Idris:

Mainly training.

Why would you want to do C when you will soon be able to go straight to CE :question:

My long term goal would likely be CE, but I’d rather know I can walk before I try to run. And training for CE, but then not driving CE for a year doesn’t make sense to me.

Idris:
My long term goal would likely be CE, but I’d rather know I can walk before I try to run. And training for CE, but then not driving CE for a year doesn’t make sense to me.

Why pay for 2 courses when only 1 is needed :question:

You can pass CE but choose to only drive C

Fair point.

Idris:
Yet another 52yr old considering a career change from nothing at all like driving.

There are obviously pros and cons to C vs C+E. As yet I’m undecided. In the meantime …

I’ve seen a couple of class 1 jobs actively advertised for newly qualified drivers. (Eg Yodle) Are these a good or bad place to start, and how useful is it to do some class 2 jobs first? Or it better / easier to start with agencies or small indiependants?

I get that shifts are typically long, start times are really early, and job ads often mention overtime at 40+hrs/shift allowance/OTE/6 day weeks/etc but when driving time limits are strictly enforced, what does a working week typically look like for new drivers?

I’ve seen a baffling range of pay rates mentioned: £7 per hour, £1400+ per week, class 1 with no experience dismissed as only £34.5k. Obviously experience and qualifications are a big part of rates, so what can you realistically expect to earn in the first couple of years? How much experience does it really take to earn £40k without grinding yourself into the ground?

What add-on qualifications (ADR/HIAB/forklift) make the most difference, if any, in the first couple of years?

Looking forward to the answers…
Sad to hear you’re giving up acting [emoji20]

stu675:
Looking forward to the answers…
Sad to hear you’re giving up acting [emoji20]

Closer than you think :smiley:

Ok here my experience for you. Worked in Local Government as a Housing Officer for many years, got totally racked off with tenants moaning etc and dealing with the absolute low life’s of society. Passed CE, and a friend got me a job very local to me, day work on walking floors on biomass (not stobart) TM was really nice and work steady albeit poorish pay 2017 £9.89ph no overtime rate. TM leaves after I’d been there a year and the next TM was an utter nightmare, days went to 12hrs X5 and I got given a 5 am start as opposed to 6am. Just went downhill from there. All I was doing was work, eat, sleep, repeat. Eventually last year in November went back to Housing as a rent officer. Feel as if I’ve got my life back.

My old firm called me up and offered my old job back, pay now £38k for 55hrs with paid breaks. Told them no way, my friend is working on rigid and just had pay rise to £15ph for first 48, the £23.50 after, I’d go there instead. So if you’re experienced the money is out there, but you won’t have a life outside work.

I’ll stick to £30k for 37hrs with 32 days holiday PLUS bank holidays on top.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

antm4n:
… 2017 £9.89ph no overtime rate … days went to 12hrs X5 and I got given a 5 am start as opposed to 6am …

That’s pretty ■■■■.

antm4n:
… My old firm called me up and offered my old job back, pay now £38k for 55hrs with paid breaks. Told them no way, my friend is working on rigid and just had pay rise to £15ph for first 48, the £23.50 after, I’d go there instead …

That would be a very respectable salary for me, and 50+hrs isn’t a deal breaker

Am I right in thinking the work you were doing is similar to RDC / trunking?

No day driver going to waste recycling centers anywhere within 2 hours of Sheffield.

Basic maths required when firms start talking salary to you.

Salary divided by 52, divided by the hours you work. So my old firm offering £13.39ph which is pretty poor in the current market.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk