First class 1 job

Hi folks. Well just a little bit of hope out there for newbies, i have just got my first artic job after only being passed my class 2 for 6 months and my class 1 2 weeks. :smiley:
Sounds like a good job, get my own truck which is a 55 plate Daf XF (nice) and the gaffer said that if im not on nights away raher than return to base i can park the truck near my house(on a farm about 300yds away) so no travelling to work.
I will be doing general haulage so its curtain sider work. He also said that they do a lot of tipper work so in the summer i will be starting on the tippers too. :open_mouth:

Just one question. is it usual to have that ā€œbumnippingā€ feeling on the build up to your first day and any good tipsā– ā– ? :unamused: :unamused:

yes mate it is ā€¦i was lucky cause company i work for put me through my class 1 so i knew a lot of the dropsā€¦but also it didnt help because i knew the ones that were a pain in a rigid let alone a articā€¦any way when i got my run sheet night before and id see i got bad drops on there id wind myself up all night at home and till i got to the dropā€¦but 9 times out of 10 id do it with out to much of a problemā€¦so what im saying is its natuaral to feel nervous ā€¦just take ya time and if not sure when you get some were get out and have a lookā€¦our if place looks tight our road you got to go into to do ya drop park up have a walk down and see if you can turn round our got to drive down our reverse down ā€¦also if you get to a drop and are not sure ask some one how other artic drivers usually do itā€¦another thing when i first went out on my own and i was somewhere and there were other trucks there i got it into my head every 1 was watching me so id get reallly nervousā€¦sod it dont no more lol
just take ya time youll be sound m8

cheers m8 thanks for that.
Just found out from my gaffer today that i am going to a company called grange fencing in telford for 9am delivery monday. so he said just have a drive down on sunday afternoon to ge used to the truck and the feel of the truck when shes fully loaded. must admid hes been really helpfull and tommorow he is gonna take me to collect the load (which by the way is where i used to workā€¦Small world ehhā– ā– ?)then show me what i need to know about the truck. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:
So if anyone else on here going that way and u see me plz be gentleā€¦lol :laughing:

ah grange fencing on halefield ind est . If you park on telford services at jct 4 of the m54 you are only 5 minutes away for monday. Good luck mate and hopefully in a few months i will be in your shoes looking for my first class1 job. Your boss sounds a real decent bloke there must be a catch lol .

rich32:
Hi folks. Well just a little bit of hope out there for newbies, i have just got my first artic job after only being passed my class 2 for 6 months and my class 1 2 weeks. :smiley:
Sounds like a good job, get my own truck which is a 55 plate Daf XF (nice) and the gaffer said that if im not on nights away raher than return to base i can park the truck near my house(on a farm about 300yds away) so no travelling to work.
I will be doing general haulage so its curtain sider work. He also said that they do a lot of tipper work so in the summer i will be starting on the tippers too. :open_mouth:

Just one question. is it usual to have that ā€œbumnippingā€ feeling on the build up to your first day and any good tipsā– ā– ? :unamused: :unamused:

Be yourself, take your time, when you start the engine always wait a few seconds before you goā€¦mentally check you have everything, paperwork ect, always think for other roadusersā€¦and keep smiling :smiley:

thanks for the tips and advice folks and yea he is a decent bloke but i really hope thier isnt a catch lol.