First Class 1 Job Starts Tomorrow

Passed my Class 1 in Jan this year and have a start with a small company just outside Basingstoke doing night trunk for one of the Pallet Networks. Got to go to Lichfield. Get my own truck. 12 month old Iveco Hi-Way. Bit nervous but been driving Class 2 for 5 months now so feel I am as ready for it as I’ll ever be. Anyone ever been to any of the Pallet Network hubs? What are they like for drivers? Think I will be there for a few hours after tipping waiting for my reload.

Good luck with your first week mate. I have a couple of pairs of cheap Y-fronts left over that I didn’t soil.

They are in the post to you. On a slightly more mature note-you will be fine. Take your time,straddle the odd lane or two if you are not sure and don’t hit anything.

Whats your reversing like?

Reversing on rigid is piece of ■■■■. Nailed the reverse on the test and training no worries but not done anything since. The guys at my new place recon there is very little if no reversing needed on this job. Drive in forward at the hub to load/unload and drive in forward at their base to off load. Truck will be left for me pointing at the gate when I need to leave for lichfield.

Sounds easy enough mate-fair play!

If it were me,(subject to time),I would take any opportunity to find a bit of space and do some reversing just to get some practice/confidence.

Good plan. Should have a few hours off each night before my reload so can do a bit of practicing around the industrial estate with nobody watching.

Sounds like a perfect 1st job. You’ve described it pretty accurately so there shouldn’t be any nasty surprises. Also a good idea to get some reversing practice on the industrial estate. Just a couple of things before you do that: run it past the TM and get it approved (if you hit something you’ll have some explaining to do otherwise) and make sure you have your proper break.

All the best with it, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I am not sure about the Lichfield hub, but Palletline by Birmingham airport runs like this ;
Arrive on time stated on the scan sheet, or your boss gets a penalty for going in too early or too late.
The unload and reload will have a hub number for the area,eg 44, like a bus route number.
A swipe card is given for discrepancies or damage to the cargo you collect, hand back the card on exit.
Arrive at the scan canopy, open the trailer curtains, load is scanned, close the curtains but only put the poles in.
Unload, then they may phone you to tell you the reload is ready.
Vending machines at most hubs.
Take your own coffee or tea in a thermos.
Night drivers and workers at night seem ok, better than day staff…
If unsure , ask a driver to show you the way it goes at Lichfield.
If feel drowsy while driving, stop, set the alarm, sleep.
It takes half a second to nod off and crash the lorry, if it is late, it is late.

toby1234abc:
If feel drowsy while driving, stop, set the alarm, sleep.
It takes half a second to nod off and crash the lorry, if it is late, it is late.

+1
Even just a ten minute power nap makes all the difference. My first few weeks on night trunks I needed one otherwise id have been over a hedge!

Thanks for all the advice. Got a good sleeper cab so am going to get the bedding sorted and have a power nap at the hub before my journey back. Been doing some Royal Mail night shifts recently and found a good 10 min power nap over the steering wheel sorted me right out.

Sub_tone:
found a good 10 min power nap over the steering wheel sorted me right out.

I presume you were stopped and parked up whilst doing this?
:laughing:

The-Snowman:

Sub_tone:

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

The-Snowman:

Sub_tone:

Most of the time. lol