First c+e shift tomorow!

Well, it’s been a long time coming - I started my training etc in early 2008 and finaly got my class 1 about a month ago now but I’ve finaly got my first class 1 shift tomorow :grimacing:

It’s for Brakes, which is one place I didn’t really want to go for my first run because their yard’s pretty tight in places but hey-ho. It’s a trunk run, not sure where to but there’s at least one of their depots I’d rather not go to until I’ve got the hang of it a bit (so that’s probably where I’m going!). They know it’s my first run so they want to “brief” me when I get there, I’m guessing to explain how they want things doing and check my license - and beg me to be careful like the agency did :unamused:

I’m not particularly nervous yet, wish I knew where I was going though so I could plan my route rather than doing it tomorow though (when I’ll have plenty of other things to worry about). Wish me luck and I’ll try to do a diary if I’ve got time :wink:

Fantastic D.S. Enjoy the experience. Take your time, if in doubt about anything at all then ask. You’ll soon get the hang of it. All the best mate.

Hi darkseeker,

I can’t add anything to what instructorone has said, except to say again: If in doubt ASK!!

Good luck, and please let us know how your shift went. :smiley:

As they know it’s your first run in an artic I doubt they will send you anywhere too difficult to get into, shame you can’t find out where you’re going though.

You’ve already been advised to ask about anything you’re not sure about so I won’t say it again but it is good advise :wink:

Good luck

Good luck darkseeker :smiley:

Hope you enjoy yourself cant wait for your diary

all the best

Jenniex-

hi mate good luck to u , i no how u feel good luck phil .

floss30:
hi mate good luck to u , i no how u feel good luck phil .

Hi floss30,

That’s a good point mate, cos everybody has a ‘first day,’ no matter who they are. :smiley:

Whoo-hoo, I beat Jennie to a ‘welcome’ post!! :grimacing: :wink:

HI darkseeker , hope all goes well for you , like everyone says if in doubt ask somebody - enjoy your day & come back to tell us how you got on, good luck :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

All the best with it; it’s perfectly normal to be apprehensive despite knowing the basics of what you’re meant to be doing. I’m back off hols and you’ve got my number if you need it.
Take care, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thankyou Pete, I’m sure I’ll be fine except perhaps a little embarrassment reversing. Hopefully I’ll have time to take some pictures to show everyone. The only other concern is the gears; brakes run merc’s mostly and I’ve heard / read that although their 'boxes are good they do some strange auto and semi-auto boxes. Only one way to find out though!

Well done darkseeker :smiley: i’m still waiting for my first c+e shift. Look forward to more diaries from you during week :smiley:

zigzag; Are you an agency driver too? To be honest, I thought it’d be quicker as they’re all desperate for class 1 drivers but the experience thing’s reared it’s head again. I’ve done a diary - if you’ve not seen it.

Was quite a hard day but I enjoyed it (in a strange sort of way :blush: )

darkseeker:
zigzag; Are you an agency driver too? To be honest, I thought it’d be quicker as they’re all desperate for class 1 drivers but the experience thing’s reared it’s head again. I’ve done a diary - if you’ve not seen it.

Yeah just seen your first diary. Lucky you not even having to couple/uncouple too :smiley: . I’ve finaly registed with an agency who takes on new class 1 drivers. They said becuse i already had my class 2 for a few years and over 25 then its not a problem. Why can’t all agencies have more of a can do attitude i don’t know. I’m off to register with blue arrow in Warrington today too as back up.

ZigZag:
I’ve finaly registed with an agency who takes on new class 1 drivers. They said becuse i already had my class 2 for a few years and over 25 then its not a problem.

Hi ZigZag,
That’s great news mate. Nice one!! :smiley:
Most people find that the Cat “C” experience pays off at some point, while those who think they’ve a God given automatic right to drive a loaded Cat “C+E” vehicle the day after they passed their C+E test usually have some (a lot) time at home and may eventually work out why they’re not working.
Quite often in the early days of a career, it’s a question of attitude and knowing one’s place in the scheme of life. :bulb:

ZigZag:
Why can’t all agencies have more of a can do attitude i don’t know. I’m off to register with blue arrow in Warrington today too as back up.

It’s not always the agencies mate, because quite often it’ll be insurance companies who dictate the experience requirements.

Usually, there are two insurance companies involved. The agency will have an insurer, as well as the client company.
If one of the insurers say “no,” then that’s the end of it.

Due to age or inexperience, some people need to realise that they might need to do some agency work involving van driving, even if they do have a Cat “C” licence. :wink:

dieseldave:
Due to age or inexperience, some people need to realise that they might need to do some agency work involving van driving, even if they do have a Cat “C” licence

Hi dieseldave funny you mention van work. I told blue arrow that i will do that too and could end up doing multi drop home delivery network driving in between the odd C and C+E work. Work is work and its regular if i want it. I will use the other agency to get the class 1 experience on a ad hoc basis in between.