First Bump!

Sequence of events…
Approached a roundabout in left hand lane to take second exit (straight ahead).
Checked mirrors as approaching - no vehicles in RH lane.
Checked roundabout and clear.
Checked mirrors as moving onto roundabout - no vehicles on RH side of me.
Followed outer contour of roundabout - no lane markings on roundabout itself.
Checked RH mirror just after first exit (prior to signalling left) only to see a car against the side of the trailer.

Notes:
There was approx 3ft of space available to the RH side of the car on the roundabout which the car could of used to avoid a collision.
The angle of the car suggests the drivers is steering towards the trailer.
I followed the maximum outer contour of the roundabout.
I was travelling at a safe speed.
It is only a small roundabout.
I was vigilant with my mirrors.
The occupants of the car seemed to be in a hurry to be somewhere, after the accident they were constantly asking how much longer it would be before they could go.
Any potential witnesses had gone before I could ask them for a statement.

I have driven around the same roundabout at a really slow speed since the collision I know that I couldn’t have done anything different, I couldn’t of been anymore vigilant with the mirror checks and my road positioning was spot on - I don’t feel as if I am to blame for the collision - what do you guys\gals think?

There were no cars visible in my mirrors the first time I seen the car was in the position as photographed, I think the car has either come from the blind spot behind me or from the RH approach lane in the few seconds (at most) between mirror checks, it did not come from the RH junction onto the roundabout as I had a clear view across the roundabout and would of seen it.

No one was injured or hurt, the car had sustained damage to the NS wing and bumper.

MickyB666:
Sequence of events…

Well there’s your problem right there!

Always, always, always straddle both lanes to prevent cars/vans from getting up alongside you.

Could the direction of the sun have played a part here, it seems like it’s in the optimum place to cause you a problem.

ThrustMaster:

MickyB666:
Sequence of events…

Always, always, always straddle both lanes to prevent cars/vans from getting up alongside you.

Always, always, always +1.
Prevent the accident before it happens, I would say that it’s the car drivers fault, probably flying round the roundabout as you say, in a hurry.

Dominate the road before you even get to the roundabout, to stop Numpties getting too close as you enter the roundabout, unless it’s a nice wide road, then just use/stay in the lanes.

You got to make it clear to idiots there is no room and just block them. You get a beep off them sometimes but those people can go ■■■■ themselves as far as I’m concerned.

Did you check the car drivers steering wheel? You could have got a bus between the curb and the car! Seriously was the driver impaired by drugs or alcohol if they failed to manoeuvre the car away from a 44 tonne truck to avoid an accident something is wrong with them, me personally and call me old fashioned I would have turned the steering wheel in a sharp move to the right and braked simples.
It sounds like over kill but it’s worth calling the police to that kind of accident as it’s crystal clear that the car driver could have avoided the collision, you say there were no injuries but just wait for the claim and ask yourself why did they want to get away sharpish? I had a driver ring me when I was in the office and he reported that he had nudged a car in a que at a roundabout no damage to the car or occupants but details exchanged just in case, two months later all four had extensive injuries and wanted a big pay out, after that every time one of our drivers had any type of interaction with another vehicle I reported it to the police to get their side of the story on record and it helped with another case so it was worth while.
Good luck in getting this sorted I just hope the insurance companies doesn’t just pay out as this looks like an avoidable incident rather than an accident, if you had forced the car up onto the roundabout it would have been a different story.

Car driver pished, drugged, looking for a claim or plain and simple idiot that couldn’t drive a nail through a bar of soap. As said already, miles of room on the cars offside. Straddle those lanes mate. You must have been pretty slow with witness gathering with that captive audience.

Bump? Thought you were going to tell us you were pregnant!!
+1 on the straddle thing. He was probably so close to your ■■■ you couldn’t see him. I’ve done the straddle thing I a short stretch of two lane just before a roundabout and still had them try overtaking using the other side of the road, to enter a space that didn’t exist. Too much hurry, as you say and we have to protect them from themselves. Bring back public information films, I say. Filmed from above, it would be obvious to a blind man, how stupid it was to try it…

This happens a lot on the roundabout at Tubney Woods A420 Swindon /Oxford both directions.
They get all pishey if they can’t get past an artic and I get the toot toot and offer of Gareth Hunts finest coffee beans so they can Foxtrot Oscar.
Normally by black or silver rep cars such as Audi and BMW ,all in a hurry to get nowhere fast.

As stated asserting a blocking position can avoid this however the roundabout in question appears to have enough room for a car and truck. The car may have been going straight on and cut you up at your exit if they had made it past or going right and just totally mucked it up.

In anycase the highway code informs drivers to give large vehicles room so you should be in the clear.
As usual always inform the other party your truck is fitted with 360° CCTV and to be careful with their version of events when filling out insurance forms.

Straddle both lanes yes but we’ve all had F-wits STILL try to drive pass either side!!![emoji52]

The photos you took will prove to insurance company you were in right and clown in Corsa in wrong!!![emoji6]

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

I want to know why the Corsa driver didn’t see what was going to happen and back off instead of staying in the firing line.

Radar19:
I want to know why the Corsa driver didn’t see what was going to happen and back off instead of staying in the firing line.

Because they were a couple sandwiches short of a picnic…

Unlucky OP but as bumps go, if everyone walks away ok, then that’s why insurance is a requirement. I’d have forgotten about it after my first beer that night.

Richard R:
It sounds like over kill but it’s worth calling the police to that kind of accident as it’s crystal clear that the car driver could have avoided the collision

I always thought we HAD to report it to the police?

Last accident I had I did just that and police said it’s surprising how many don’t report accidents even though we have to ■■

Sure I read somewhere must be within 24hrs but given state of sue anything and everything these days I’d do it there and then

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If i was the corsa driver i would have been much closer to roundabout ( I would have waited of course and giving wagon room but we know the driver didnt)

They seem a few feet away from it. What were they thinking?!!

dcgpx:

Richard R:
It sounds like over kill but it’s worth calling the police to that kind of accident as it’s crystal clear that the car driver could have avoided the collision

I always thought we HAD to report it to the police?

Last accident I had I did just that and police said it’s surprising how many don’t report accidents even though we have to ■■

Sure I read somewhere must be within 24hrs but given state of sue anything and everything these days I’d do it there and then

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No need to report an accident if all involved are ok, details have been exchanged, and all can be on their way.

Thing is did you follow the inner contour or the outer contour? Because look at the amount of cut in you have created?

It may or may not have been the cars fault but I don’t think this accident would have occurred with an experienced driver at the wheel. Learn from it move on. I wouldn’t let it bother you it’s nothing major. But I would be interested if you re-read this thread in 5 years to see if you still have the same thinking about it.

ThrustMaster:

MickyB666:
Sequence of events…

+2

Always shut the back door !

Saves all sorts of grief.

Ramon123:

ThrustMaster:

MickyB666:
Sequence of events…

+2

Always shut the back door !

Saves all sorts of grief.

+3 even in a rigid shut the door on the Zb’s

I could see that the roundabout was clear as I was driving towards it, I didn’t have to stop – just slow to a safe speed and continue forwards, it’s only a small roundabout and I would of been over it and gone in only a few seconds the approach road to the roundabout divided into two lanes as it neared the roundabout and to straddle both lanes would of meant taking an unnatural path swerving over to the right rather than following the road ahead. I do take the point about ‘closing the back door’ though; it would of prevented the collision from happening and I will taking this into account in the future.