First bendy job

After passing my Class 1 last Friday I got my first job yesterday. I was one of three travelling up to Darlington from Immingham to pick up some steel that was being shipped to Holland.

Got to Immingham at 05-45 and met Dave and Roy, both in their 60’s and done it all and seen it all. They’d been asked to look after me and I have to say they were great. I learnt so much from them in one day.

Picked up trailers from Immingham which were loaded with 2 other trailers, one on top of the other. First problem. Dave says there was no way he was taking them because of the height. I carry a 16 foot steel tape measure and when I measured his it was well over 16 at its highest point. Mine was about 15 and a half but Dave said I shouldn’t take it either. So we had to wait a couple of hours for a couple of forkies to come and take the top one off.

Finally got away about 9 and after stopping for breakfast (my shout to say thanks for the help) got to Darlington about 12-30. A couple of hours to load all three and then another problem that I would have stumped me if I’d been on my own. The trailer that had been loaded for me had no rear light bulbs or covers. There was none in the cab either but Dave had some of his own that he put on.

Nice trip back especially since I’d finally mastered the gearbox!! It was a Mercedes unit and I’d never come across a gear lever like that before. I supose most of you will know it but it was a new one to me. It had a little lever at the front that you either pushed up or down and then dipped the clutch to engage the gear. What I couldn’t understand (and still can’t) is why I was able to move the gear stick forward as well. That’s how I’d been changing on the trip up there but Roy told me to just flick the lever and dip the clutch. :confused:

Anyway really enjoyed it and was very grateful to the 2 boys for all the help (and patience) they gave me.

Tez

Congrats. tezza :wink: :smiley: