First artic run tomorrow

Hi all

Been on these forums a while, though this is my first post.

First artic job tomorrow, having passed with Peter Smythe on the 10th (great training!), bit nervous to be honest, especially about any reversing!

You will be fine. Take it easy. Don’t be pressured into rushing. Reversing will come with practice.

Congratulations on your pass. Great choice of trainer btw :wink:

Firstly congratulations on the pass

just take things nice n easy at your pace , when you let people rush u it all goes wrong :wink:

good luck

jen x

Many thanks for the kind words.

I will take my time and hopefully everything will go well. Pretty confident that I’ll be ok going forwards!

It’s a funny feeling to be a bit nervous as I’ve wanted to drive class 1 for a long time (passed class 2 in 2005)

Many thanks
Paul

What are you pulling? I still remember my first artic shift quite well having it not been too long ago. Asked myself what the hell I had let myself in for and that I ‘shouldn’t really be taking this out on the road’ as it felt too big hehe. :laughing:

Can’t be certain, it’s agency work.

Think it might be a curtainsider as I did two days class two driving at the same place last week and that’s all I saw there

As others have said, take it easy, trust your instincts and don’t be pressured into something daft, a laden trailer is a different beast ( :bulb: TOP TIP, don’t try and screw one round on even a slight slope :bulb: :blush: :blush: ).

Have fun

Brian

:bulb: Another tip, if it’s raining when you release a support post, step back quick :wink: .

PaulHorsfield:
Can’t be certain, it’s agency work.

Think it might be a curtainsider as I did two days class two driving at the same place last week and that’s all I saw there

Brake in plenty of time because an artic is a different beast. I trained in a 51 plate artic and a lot has changed technology wise to the 58 plate Scania I drive now.

MADBAZ:
As others have said, take it easy, trust your instincts and don’t be pressured into something daft, a laden trailer is a different beast ( :bulb: TOP TIP, don’t try and screw one round on even a slight slope :bulb: :blush: :blush: ).

Have fun

Brian

:bulb: Another tip, if it’s raining when you release a support post, step back quick :wink: .

unless you are partial to a drop of water down the back of your neck :wink:

well done pal and good luck
2 tips 1 if in doubt get out 2 dont be a ■■■■ take a shunt let us know how you get on

Many thanks for all the advice, very friendly site.

If I’m unsure with reversing I think I’ll get out and look. Daren’t risk an accident

We’ve all been there the nerves will keep you safe but knackered for a few days weeks then complacency sets in.
never rush and try to block leemings from sneaking down your blindside on roundabouts etc

A very good point. The general public don’t understand your limited view down the side and blind spots. They will try and sneak up either side of you at roundabouts and junctions. :frowning:

Well the driving went well, though I must admit that I struggled a bit with reversing as all three places were a bit tight.

It’s the third day I’ve done on the agency at this company (did thurs and fri last week on class 2 there) and I’ve told them I won’t go back there.

I can understand the company wanting me to phone them when I get to a drop and when I leave, but they must have phoned me 30 times in between times over the course of each day.

Unfortunately however I went about 15mins over the fifteen hours in order to get back, is that likely to cause me any problems?

Many thanks

PaulHorsfield:
Unfortunately however I went about 15mins over the fifteen hours in order to get back, is that likely to cause me any problems?

Not really, it is an infringement although I doubt that VOSA would take any action against you it unless it happened regularly. Presume you did a print-out and wrote some explanation on the back? Always best to. You might be made to sign something or other by the agency to acknowledge your infringement but that’s just a ■■■■ covering exercise.