First and Possibly last agency job

Hey all.

Well im kinda new to all this agency work and thought why not give it a go.

Anyways long story short, i completed a 4 day C+E job 0700-17.00 and received a grand total of £199. Now dont get me wrong £199 is not to be sniffed at, but i then typed the figure into my ikkle calculator and it started laughing at me. It said to me, ARE YOU [zb] stupid working for under £6 an hour, so my question is: is this the norm?

Yeh… that £199 divide by 4 days = £49.75 per day divide by 10hr shift = £4.975 per hr

OMG

Been working out my hourly on the agency.
Average £8.25…TAKE HOME.

Not bad, after stoppages.

if that’s true speak to your agency about whether they would like you to take them to court…

gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates

I assume that was £199 after deductions

peirre:

And if its his first week then tax is probably being deducted at basic rate.

ha ha ha
So in order to earn £25,000 a year assuming they do not pay an increased OT rate you’ll need to work just over 96 hours a week “glad you got your HGV licence ?”

4 x 10 hour shifts = 40 hours
4 x 45 minute deductions = 3 hrs

So 37 hours paid.

37hrs & £7.50ph = £277.50

Assuming you have been taxed at basic rate (tax code BR) your total deductions with NI will have been: £70.44 (according to Listentotaxman.

Leaving you with = £207.06.

So I reckon you were on something like £7.30ph.

Mugs game. Normal? More common than you might think.

On a minimum wage factory job, working a 37 hour week, you would pick up roughly £218. The minimum wage will go up from £6.31 to £6.50 hour in six weeks time.

I have seen class one jobs advertised as little as £7 hour. True they are few and far between, but no idea what would motivate anyone to bother getting a HGV license to end up earning that sort of money.

RCT Legion:
Hey all.

Anyways long story short, i completed a 4 day C+E job 0700-17.00 and received a grand total of £199. Now dont get me wrong £199 is not to be sniffed at, but i then typed the figure into my ikkle calculator and it started laughing at me. It said to me, ARE YOU [zb] stupid working for under £6 an hour, so my question is: is this the norm?

Presumably you would have asked what the hourly rate was before you agreed to do the job, did you get the rate you was told ?

Also did you have to pay an umbrella company ?

As someone new to agency work, many agency people would look on you as someone to be ripped off at will :frowning:

RCT Legion:
Hey all.

Ouch… :open_mouth:

Firstly, as Tachograph asked, did you clarify the rate before you started? Never, ever trust an agency. They live off your graft and will shaft you royally if you give them a sniff of a chance! If they’re speaking, they’re lying.

Secondly, was an O/T rate payable after 8 hours?(unlikely, I’d think, but check first). Are you using an umbrella company regarding tax etc.?

Finally, the time to do this calculation is before taking on the job, not afterwards. I’d always assume any driving shift will be at least 10 - 12 hours. You’ll get a feel for which are the longer ones, but any can be up to 15, depending on the circumstances that day. The figures need to add up to a sum you’re happy with, assuming a short day, (unusual) or a long 15hr, day) If not it’s very simple.

Tell them thanks but no thanks. Lots of work out there at the minute. Be choosy. If you get known for doing the low paid crap, that’s all you will ever be given.

I tell the agency the rate I’m happy with, and the type of work I won’t do (in my case, anything that involves anything more than (very) minimal load interaction or nights out). Sound ridiculous? Well, yes, probably. But they still give me what I want, mostly anyway. If they don’t, I don’t take the work on, I go elsewhere. They soon learn. I porbably (definitely) don’t get offered as much work as a mug would.,

But don’t work for bags of beans either, so don’t need as much. Just be firm, polite but resolute. You’ll end up getting more respect, better quality work and more money. :sunglasses:

Give it another go. But don’t forget to work out the wage first! Best of luck!! :sunglasses:

saw this on jobs site ,KAMMAC Plc

Opportunities have arisen for Full Time Drivers (LGV Class 1).

Various shifts available including:-
4 on, 4 off
Day shifts - 48 hours per week, plus overtime
Night shifts - 48 hours per week, plus overtime

Based from our UK Head Office at Skelmersdale, Lancashire. UK travel only.

Meal/Overnight allowances where applicable.

Uniform provided

Please forward CV’s to Shirley Hunter - H.R. Advisor, Kammac plc., Email and postal applications welcome.
Salary
6.74 - 8.99 per hour ■■ :cry: :cry:

peirre:

Yes peirre thankfully that is after deductions, imagine my wage if it wasn’t :slight_smile:

Sadly tacho, “and i hang my head in shame whilst i type this” questions answered in order:

No - Fricking kicking myself.

Yes

I understand how people would want to get ripped off at will…HONEST!

Truckulent:

RCT Legion:
Hey all.

Ouch… :open_mouth:

Firstly, as Tachograph asked, did you clarify the rate before you started? Never, ever trust an agency. They live off your graft and will shaft you royally if you give them a sniff of a chance! If they’re speaking, they’re lying.

Secondly, was an O/T rate payable after 8 hours?(unlikely, I’d think, but check first). Are you using an umbrella company regarding tax etc.?

Finally, the time to do this calculation is before taking on the job, not afterwards. I’d always assume any driving shift will be at least 10 - 12 hours. You’ll get a feel for which are the longer ones, but any can be up to 15, depending on the circumstances that day. The figures need to add up to a sum you’re happy with, assuming a short day, (unusual) or a long 15hr, day) If not it’s very simple.

Tell them thanks but no thanks. Lots of work out there at the minute. Be choosy. If you get known for doing the low paid crap, that’s all you will ever be given.

I tell the agency the rate I’m happy with, and the type of work I won’t do (in my case, anything that involves anything more than (very) minimal load interaction or nights out). Sound ridiculous? Well, yes, probably. But they still give me what I want, mostly anyway. If they don’t, I don’t take the work on, I go elsewhere. They soon learn. I porbably (definitely) don’t get offered as much work as a mug would.,

But don’t work for bags of beans either, so don’t need as much. Just be firm, polite but resolute. You’ll end up getting more respect, better quality work and more money. :sunglasses:

Give it another go. But don’t forget to work out the wage first! Best of luck!! :sunglasses:

Sound advice, cheers mate

RCT Legion:
Sadly tacho, “and i hang my head in shame whilst i type this” questions answered in order:

No - Fricking kicking myself.

Yes

I understand how people would want to get ripped off at will…HONEST!

Ah well, you live and learn.

Bet you won’t make that mistake again :wink:

Why is the tax so high?

Radar19:
Why is the tax so high?

Probably because the OP didn’t have a P45, so the agency gave him an emergency tax code. He will however be able to get the extra tax refunded.

KCLeblanc:

Radar19:
Why is the tax so high?

Probably because the OP didn’t have a P45, so the agency gave him an emergency tax code. He will however be able to get the extra tax refunded.

I hope I can do that. My last pay slip said I paid £38 in tax.

Hey OP, do you want to come round and clean my house, wash my car and tidy up the garden a bit? Excellent rates of pay, but we’ll sort that out once you’ve done the jobs, yeah?