First aid kit for LGV test

A question for instructors

Do you need to carry a first aid kit in the test vehicle. Reason I ask I took a candidate down for test and the examiner asked where would you locate the first aid kit.

elmet training:
A question for instructors

Do you need to carry a first aid kit in the test vehicle. Reason I ask I took a candidate down for test and the examiner asked where would you locate the first aid kit.

NO, but if there is one then the trainee needs to know where it is
Answer to examiner if not one carried - this vehicle does not have one - same for the fire extinguisher question

IF a risk assessment is carried out under H&S rules and it is found that one needs to be carried then that is a different matter.

would you not need one under heath and safety cos its the instructors work place and i thought you need one for that i no at work there suppose to have one including a accident book :exclamation:

The examiner may be cocky and say ‘‘okay so if this vehicle doesn’t need one, can you tell me what vehicle would?’’ and I believe as I was told it on my test, that would be a vehicle covered by adr regs.

get one bought, only e few quid and worth it just in case. same goes for the fire extinguisher, i paid a few quid for the truck so its worth that little bit extra to be prepared for the unexpected. :sunglasses: They’re both there under the seat and every pupil is told about em just in case, guess what - not once has an examiner asked about em :unamused: ah well - one day :wink:

Tunny43:
get one bought,… fire extinguisher,…just in case,

I used to get trainees to pull into a safe place to cool off if they were getting a little hot but hey-ho each to their own :wink: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

garnerlives:
The examiner may be cocky and say ‘‘okay so if this vehicle doesn’t need one, can you tell me what vehicle would?’’ and I believe as I was told it on my test, that would be a vehicle covered by adr regs.

Hi Jon, I think you were misinformed mate. :frowning:

A vehicle which is subject to ADR Regs doesn’t have to have a first-aid kit/box on board … cos there’s no mention of a first-aid kit/box in ADR’s 1,300ish pages. Having said that, in some countries it’s mandatory to have a first-aid kit/box on board under different Regs.

I think your source might have meant the various (individually named) bits of kit and equipment that are required by ADR, such as eye-wash, but even eye-wash isn’t required by ADR when carrying any amount of UN Class 1 (explosives) or UN Class 2 (Gases.)

I was always under the impresion that it was a requirement and we have always carried one…but having checked with the cheif examiner in Leicester it appears it is not.

I am now awaiting a reply from the DSA.

Data Academy:
I was always under the impresion that it was a requirement and we have always carried one…but having checked with the cheif examiner in Leicester it appears it is not.

I reckon it’s not a DSA requirement but is likely to be a H&S one

DSA have come back to me not a requirement but they would recomend it, it is as we know a requirement for PCV. therefore not a question that can be asked on a LGV test.

I’ve had trainees that have been asked the question many a time on LGV test but the examiner has always been happy with - I’m sorry, we do not carry one.
Same for the fire extinguisher and the ‘how does taillift operate’ question which was asked quite often - WE DID NOT HAVE TRUCKS WITH TAIL LIFTS !!!

This was when the examiners had a SET of questions - I’m not sure if nowadays they can choose differently ■■?

ROG:

Data Academy:

I reckon it’s not a DSA requirement but is likely to be a H&S one

Now then young ROG, it looks like you’ve identified another set of Regs that you might need to read…

Dave’s suggested betime reading is MHSW 1999. In there, you’ll see the need for a risk-assessment at Reg. 3(1)(a) and (b).
The Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999

Then if you read the HSE guidance on how to do a risk-assessment, you’ll discover that a first-aid box is a good idea.

You’ll also discover that a first-aid box isn’t a specific legal requirement for a training school vehicle in the UK.

dieseldave:
You’ll also discover that a first-aid box isn’t a specific legal requirement for a training school vehicle in the UK.

Hi diesedave

would you not need one it you work place as the trainer is working in the truck would you not be required to have one in the truck as that would be the trainers main place of work and i know from my training to some time the trainer takes use to an area to do the reversing exercise and that place is not normally there yard but some private land

the training vehicle i was in on my training had one and it also had a fire extinguisher

delboytwo:

dieseldave:

Hi diesedave

would you not need one it you work place as the trainer is working in the truck would you not be required to have one in the truck as that would be the trainers main place of work and i know from my training to some time the trainer takes use to an area to do the reversing exercise and that place is not normally there yard but some private land

the training vehicle i was in on my training had one and it also had a fire extinguisher

Hi Del,
My post relates to the workplace, and yes, a training school truck is included in that.
:bulb: Have a read of my post (above) again, then follow the link I gave and you’ll see what the law says. :wink:

My student got a fault for not knowing where the fist aid kit was.
Ok it didnt affect the result of the test but if it had, say 15 driving faults and a fault for the question resulting in fail. data academy says that question on LGV test shouldnt be asked, do you think any chance of re-test after complaning through the proper channels.

elmet training:
My student got a fault for not knowing where the fist aid kit was.
Ok it didnt affect the result of the test but if it had, say 15 driving faults and a fault for the question resulting in fail. data academy says that question on LGV test shouldnt be asked, do you think any chance of re-test after complaning through the proper channels.

As it did not affect the test result - no point in complaining - all it will do is ‘upset’ the examiners !!
What you could do is to e-mail the dsa and get a ruling on this in writing (e-mail) for future use :wink:

it is as we know a requirement for PCV.

Interesting point. I’ve never carried first aid on trucks (but having read the comments I’m prepared to consider this) but not all buses carry them either. Eg not required on stage carriage. So are we convinced we need them for driving test? Also fire extinguisher not required for Class 6 MOT (the test that dedicated PSV training vehicles generally operate under) so why is it required for the test? I’m well aware they’re always asked for, but is it actually a requirement to carry for test?

Someone nicked my fire extinguisher during a tea stop on the way to the test centre years ago and the vehicle was refused and test lost as a result. But is it actually a rule??

Not a particulary important topic but it’s a way of passing a cold, dark evening! :laughing: :laughing:

elmet training:
data academy says that question on LGV test shouldnt be asked, do you think any chance of re-test after complaning through the proper channels.

One would like to think you would have a case…but would you want to upset examiners by going down that route…I have found if we have a situation like that talking to the examiners before it arises gets every one on the same page.

We used to have an examiner in Leicester that always asked one particular question that was not within the set down questions, as it was a question that every driver should know the answer too we have always included it as part of our training.

Peter Smythe:

it is as we know a requirement for PCV.

Interesting point. I’ve never carried first aid on trucks (but having read the comments I’m prepared to consider this) but not all buses carry them either. Eg not required on stage carriage. So are we convinced we need them for driving test? Also fire extinguisher not required for Class 6 MOT (the test that dedicated PSV training vehicles generally operate under) so why is it required for the test? I’m well aware they’re always asked for, but is it actually a requirement to carry for test?

Someone nicked my fire extinguisher during a tea stop on the way to the test centre years ago and the vehicle was refused and test lost as a result. But is it actually a rule??

Not a particulary important topic but it’s a way of passing a cold, dark evening! :laughing: :laughing:

Hi Peter forgive me if I am wrong but going back in the memory bank (difficult at a certain age and i’m there) I seem to remeber reading it was a requirement on training vehicles for PCV to carry a first aid kit.

As said I could be wrong.

The reason we carry one on the trucks is more for peace of mind our reverse area is 15 mins awayfrom town and a long way to go for a plaster.

Agreed. Always best to talk through differences of opinion etc and reach a conclusion that all parties can live with. Within the DSA consistency has improved no end compared to the old Ministry of Transport days where every examiner seemed to be a law unto himself. But for as long as we have humans conducting tests, there will always be differences in interpretation. :laughing: :laughing: